Washer Connection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

holstin

I have a 2014 Tour with the stack-able Washer and Dryer. My washer keeps filling itself up even when turned off. We first thought it was we didn't have enough pressure and the pump back-flow would leak water but even on our own water pump and not the campground it happens so we have determined its most likely a washer issue. That being the case. Is there an easy way to get to the hot and cold shut off for it without having to remove both of them completely out of the wall in the bathroom. I am assuming they hook up behind themselves.

I'm confused.  You say the washer keeps filling up "when turned off."  Does turned off mean electrically?

Winnie provided no access to the hot/cold water faucets?  Ours are always turned off unless the washing machine is in use.

Hi Holstin... I also want to make sure I understand what your issue is. Are saying that your washer fills up with water, even though it's turned off? I just finished removing and reinstalling the washer and dryer in our 42QD Tour, and in the process, I learned a bit about how the washer works. What model of Tour is yours?

The hot and cold water lines go into the rear of the washer at the top left corner (when viewed from the front). The first place those water lines go is into shuttle valves, which open and close based on the washer's settings. If one or both of those valves aren't sealing properly (closing all the way), I think that would cause water to flow into the washer's drum. Unfortunately, there's no way to get to those valves without removing the washer and opening the washer's top access panel. They looked like they'd be pretty easy to replace. 

I can't think of any other way that water could be filling the drum. There may be a piece of gunk stuck in the valve, which is causing it to not close all the way, and who knows, if that's the case, maybe running a few loads through it might break it loose. If not, the washer's going to have to come out to get access to those valves.

In our 42QD, there are two water valves under the rear sink (they've got red handles). They're against the rear wall on the right side, in an opening between the sink-cabinet and the washer. I THINK those are shutoff valves to isolate the washer while it's out, but I'm not sure. When I removed our washer, I did not need to isolate the washer so I never tested them. If you end up needing to remove the washer, and you want to give it a try yourself, let me know and I'll walk you through it.

Kev

Thanks everyone. my model is a 42GD. 

I talked with Splendid and the first thing they asked me was did I read the owners manual for the Stackable washer and dryer.  I will explain in a minute why they wanted me to.  The problem appears to be something with the washer and due to not wanting to deal with it at the moment I am just going to follow the owners manual requirement.  How many people realize that the owners manual stats that the water to the washer is suppose to be turned off at all times when not in use. I have never seen that and never done it in the past. But that being the case. I will just turn the valve under the sink off when not in use and which ever valve is not closing all the way when turned electrically off will just not have water going to it to fill my drum up.  This turned that valve off before. This my 3rd motorhome and have never turned the water off to the washer before. as stated above.. I am hopeing after running a few more loads through it for a while it will clear what ever is stuck in the internal washer valve.

I think even residential washers have that CYA concerning the external shut-off valves.  They have lawyers on staff whose job is to write in clauses that reduce their potential liability in the case of failures. That little caveat about closing the external valve could save them a bundle if the internal valve broke and flooded the RV.

My washer valves aren't accessible without removing a wood panel in an adjacent  closet, so you can guess how often they get shut off!

holstin said:
..How many people realize that the owners manual stats that the water to the washer is suppose to be turned off at all times when not in use. ..
My bride did.  She always turns off the water when done with the Splendide.

I also installed a Splendide in my Voyage and the first thing I installed before I put it in was a nylon drain pan which I feel should be under all of them draining straight out to the ground. I have never closed the valves. A friend of mine's wife put WAY to much soap in her's once & it made a real mess. Art

Attachments

• W-D 2 Drain Pan Installed.JPG
    W-D 2 Drain Pan Installed.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 14
Art/John, I actually thought of doing something like that when I had it out, but I was concerned about building a superhighway for ants and other unwelcome bugs. Are your drain tubes open or...?

Kev

PAHipskind said:
John -  Oh my!  I don't recall this in your list of mods.  You're letting us down...
Well, I sure didn't  :p.  Our Splendide is currently down with a bad sensor and DW and I decided to not throw more money at it; a year ago or so the main control board went out - a new one was over $300.  So, I'll be ordering a new one and then I can take some pix of the install.

Kev - no issues with insects coming in the drain hose for ten years now, there are much easier places for them to enter.  Maybe once a year we have to deal with ants getting in the galley area - where they ingress is still a mystery.  We just put ant baits in every compartment.

Back
Top Bottom