Washing Your RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom said:
I'm really surprised at that reaction Pat, since I was merely singing your tune. I was saying that I don't need to use heavy paste wax on the full body paint of our coach. I wasn't saying it doesn't need any protection. In fact, I use a liquid wax, which is what you've been telling us for years we should use. Have you changed your mind about the easy-on virtues of liquid waxes? ???

Whoops!  I misread something in there.  It sounded like you said paint doesn't need wax at all. 

Of course, liquid spray wax is great!

But I wouldn't be biased or anything.<G>

LOL Pat, now it sounds like we're on the same wavelength.

But I wouldn't be biased or anything.

I can't imagine you being biased  :)

Ron:

Ok if I apply liquid wax after I wash the Admiral's side?  Seems like that would give a more equal comparison.

Been washing and liquid waxing the coach.  I am finding this to be a huge job.  Never waxed anything this big before.  ugh

Smoky said:
Ron:

Ok if I apply liquid wax after I wash the Admiral's side?? Seems like that would give a more equal comparison.

You bet that is what I would do for comparison.  I would not wash or wax the side you use driwash on so you can see how easy it really is to use as well as how long it lasts.

Been washing and liquid waxing the coach.? I am finding this to be a huge job.? Never waxed anything this big before.? ugh

Your working harder that I would.  I have never washed the Eagle with anything but Driwash.  Also have never used any wax on it either. Just Driwash.  Why not just apply Driwash on a section for comparison.

Jeff /Washington said:
I will leave the coach partially Protect All covered to see if there is a benefit to the finish over time.

Jeff, any update? I'm just curious as I haven't run any side by side tests.

At this point I cannot tell the differnce on the side that I used Protect-All after buffing and on the side that received the color restorer/wax only.

I have done my comparison on Wash and Guard versus traditional washing and waxing, and I cannot tell any difference at all between:

A:  Using Wash and Guard only
B:  Washing with soapy water, rinsing, then applying carnuba wax (Turtle).

However, the Wash and Guard is a lot less work.  It is also a LOT more expensive.  I will end up likely using both methods, depending on the situation.

Smoky

Have you tried liquid Turtle Wax - a lot easier to apply than carnuba paste wax. I came to the conclusion that, unlike gel coat, carnuba paste wax is not required on a painted surface and we use liquid Turtle Wax a couple of times a year. For intermediate washes we use a little ZipWax car wash in a bucket of water after first hosing off the loose dirt and mud. However, it obviously requires water, whereas DriWash and similar products do not.

BTW we could use ProtectAll instead of the liquid Turtle Wax, but we've found it harder to find over the last few years. Folks who use ProtectAll usually have positive things to say about it and, like TW, is easy to apply.

Tom:

Actually I should have said liquid Turtle wax instead of carnuba.  Carnuba is a carry over from my boating days and I do indeed now use the liquid Turtle wax. 

I get excellent results with it.

I think the main case for DWG is the one step process.  Certainly easier if you are willing to pay the high cost.  I am not going to use DWG all the time, but when I am on the move, it is convenient not to have to fuss with water.  I hope DWG and liquid Turtle wax are compatible with each other.

I did not see any problem applying DWG on top of a previous wax job.  This week I will learn if the reverse is OK.  ???

Smoky said:
Carnuba is a carry over from my boating days

I know, which is why I was surprised when I thought you were using it on the coach. We previously had long discussions on this subject and, like you, I was steeped in carnuba from my many happy hours of protecting gel coat on boats.

I can't comment on the application of DWG over other protectants or vice versa. I haven't used any of the quart of DWG I bought 18 moonths ago. Every time I pull out the bottle I think of the price and put the bottle back in the storage bin.

I do plan on trying ProtectAll on the coach if I can find a local source.

joelmyer said:
Try your local WalMart.

I have, on several occasions Joel. I even wrote to Pat Huber some time ago asking why the store didn't carry it. It was one reason I went with a different product.

BTW we could use ProtectAll instead of the liquid Turtle Wax, but we've found it harder to find over the last few years. Folks who use ProtectAll usually have positive things to say about it and, like TW, is easy to apply.

Tom:

Our SWM carries it with the RV stuff.

Ok if I apply liquid wax after I wash the Admiral's side?  Seems like that would give a more equal comparison.

Been washing and liquid waxing the coach.  I am finding this to be a huge job.  Never waxed anything this big before.  ugh

Smoky:

Cheap recreation-good exercise. ;D ;D

Jeff /Washington said:
Our SWM carries it with the RV stuff.

Thanks Jeff. No SWM around here and the regular WM doesn't have it. I'll look next time we're near a WM/SWM in another place.

Smoky

>>However, the Wash and Guard is a lot less work.? It is also a LOT more expensive<<

Use ProtectAll...It applies the same, has carnuba wax & is 1/4 the price of Dri Wash.

Terry
At Yuma, AZ

Tom said:
I have, on several occasions Joel. I even wrote to Pat Huber some time ago asking why the store didn't carry it. It was one reason I went with a different product.

We must have a better class of WMs here in Georgia!

joelmyer said:
a better class of WMs

That's an oxymoron  ;D .  ProtectAll's web site doesn't list our nearest WM as a seller of their product.

Smoky said:
I have done my comparison on Wash and Guard versus traditional washing and waxing, and I cannot tell any difference at all between:

A:? Using Wash and Guard only
B:? Washing with soapy water, rinsing, then applying carnuba wax (Turtle).

However, the Wash and Guard is a lot less work.? It is also a LOT more expensive.? I will end up likely using both methods, depending on the situation.

Don't waste your time doing both Smoky.  Dri-Wash will remove the wax, so stay with one or the other.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom