Watching Mark Zuckerberg on The Hill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BinaryBob said:
Scott, are you data mining me???

Guilty as charged (I also have your first pet?s name, and your grammar school best friend?s first cousin?s aunt?s maternal grandmother?s nickname in the war), but so far have been unable to crack the encryption on that Tikka. I sure hope when I do it?s not that quickie fake version  ;) ;D ;D

I don't do FB and never have but Zuckergerg is using FB for political reasons, otherwise why delete the account of Diamond and Silk. :mad:
Marvin

I set up my Facebook account with false personal information, then locked it down tight. I reject most "Friend" requests, and don't Like or Follow anything. I just use it to keep up with close family and friends around the country.

I like to mess with the algorithms by clicking random ads, and then report them as inappropriate. Hey, everyone needs a hobby.

Those dirty Facebook rats have taken it too far.  Now they have the blessing of Major League Baseball to broadcast 25 major league games exclusively (no local or national cable).  They did their second game yesterday with my Cardinals but I enjoyed a radio broadcast since I was on the road anyway.
    But most interesting is how FB counts the viewers of these games.  Anybody who views the game for over 3 SECONDS is considered a viewer.  For their first game this year with other teams they said they had 85,000 viewers.  That would represent less than one fifth of what the local Fox Sports station that does the TV broadcasts would bring in.
    Major League Baseball is trying to attract younger fans.  But if they are after the FB younger fans they better look at Instagram or other social media sites because they have abandoned FB.  JMHO.

MeWe is another free social media site. The privacy promise sounds good, but it's not a charity.  Since you aren't paying a subscription fee to use it, YOU are the products that is being sold to keep the lights on and bring in a profit.  If you are lucky it's just as an advertising target, like on broadcast tv. If not, there is much more hidden behind the facade.

There was a Millennial interviewed on the news this morning. She said that she was upset with Facebook because she "wants things I post on the Internet to be private".

...she was upset with Facebook because she "wants things I post on the Internet to be private".

That's hilarious.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
MeWe is another free social media site. The privacy promise sounds good, but it's not a charity.  Since you aren't paying a subscription fee to use it, YOU are the products that is being sold to keep the lights on and bring in a profit.  If you are lucky it's just as an advertising target, like on broadcast tv. If not, there is much more hidden behind the facade.

They do charge for options, 8GB is free but its $4.99/mo for up to 50gb, other options also like a secret chat with double encryption for .99 and a commercial division that is also encrypted for $75/mo per employee.

For us little people it is free, no ads, no FB jail and no news feeds......so far so good

Several years ago I ?unfriended? all but immediate family and guys I served with in Nam.
I would go months without opening FB.

However in January we started an extended RV trip. We had so many family and friends asking for pictures and info that I had to do something to prevent spending all my time emailing. I opened a ?secret? FB group. Only those I invite can see that the group exists or access it. This has worked out well. I still steer clear of all of the drama and political BS.

Tom

Presumably we're all aware by now that the data that Facebook made available to Cambridge Analytica and other  Facebook API users was not just the public data in user profiles and posts, but also data that users did not make public. In some cases, that also included private messages where one party may have inadvertently given access permission, but the other party to the message had not. Zuckerberg has said a number of times that when the choice is between privacy and a "better more targeted experience on Facebook", he is on the side of a "better experience".

NY_Dutch said:
Zuckerberg has said a number of times that when the choice is between privacy and a "better more targeted experience on Facebook", he is on the side of a "better experience".

:mad:

[quote author=Bill N]Perhaps  a more descriptive word would be 'stupid.'[/quote]

That too  ;D

I just discovered you can go to your "settings" (at the top of the Facebook bar) and request a copy of your facebook data.
I was shocked to find every message I posted (public or private), photos, etc...
Do you think facebook stores all of this information for YOUR convenience?  :mad:

BinaryBob said:
I was shocked to find every message I posted (public or private), photos, etc...
Do you think facebook stores all of this information for YOUR convenience?  :mad:

No. That?s so *I* can have a more ?targeted experience?. For example, when I?m searching for certain Indian recipes.... ;D ;D

Sun2Retire said:
No. That?s so *I* can have a more ?targeted experience?. For example, when I?m searching for certain Indian recipes.... ;D ;D

OK... Here's my recipe tweaked after many preparations. Hope you like garlic and cumin as much as I do!
I'm waiting for my certificate of merit for the most off-topic post of the week! ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala.pdf
    66.2 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom