Watchmen area at Zion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you need electric? Generators are not allowed.
Pull-thru or back-in?
Do you like trees or do you want open skies perhaps for a rooftop dish?
Do you like hearing the noisy bar across the river in Springdale?
Do you want to be close to a restroom? or close to the shuttle stop?

I have reservations for site #27 in the B loop.  We'll be there late June.  Didn't realize there were noisy bars across the river so I'm glad we didn't get a river site like I had wanted. 

We stayed in B-2, which was on the river and also right by the amphitheater and restrooms.  I was concerned that it might be a little too high traffic, but didn't have any problems.  As I recall, there were condos across the river from us; no bars that I noticed.  We thought the site was just fine and the kids loved being close to the river.  Honestly, the prime draw of the Watchman campground is its location in Zion.  The site itself was easily the poorest maintained of all the sites we had on a two week trip in Colorado and Utah.  All the other parks we stayed in a nearby state park rather than the National park itself (i.e., Kodachrome Basin SP near Bryce, Dead Horse Point SP near Arches)

If you haven't discovered it yet, "campsitephotos.com" has photos of all the campsites in Zion and most other parks in Utah.  Here is the photo of the site where we stayed:  http://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/Watchman/photos/Watchman-B-002 

We recently stayed at the Zion River Resort, outside of the park.  Though not directly to the OP's question, it was a very clean and friendly place.  We have a son and the pool was a big hit after a day of hiking.  Zion is not too big that staying outside of the park is a real issue.

Zion is located in a steep narrow valley. You will never be lacking for a view of rocks while you are there. I doubt there are any poor sites at Watchman.

suruchi said:
We would like to have views of the rocks and open skies in order to see the stars. Electric and water would be great!

You won't have water hooked up at the Watchman campground.  The sites that are suitable for RVs are electric-only.  You have to fill your tanks at the water station near the dump station or before you arrive.  Also, the bathrooms do NOT have shower facilities.  So if you want a shower, you need to use your own.  Then either plan on conserving water as best as possible or pulling out of your campsite to dump and refill sometime during your stay.

Nonetheless, for the way our family camps, it worked out just fine.  Kids swam in the river every day and we were only there 2 or three nights.  Well worth the inconveniences for the location.

If you want to stay at Watchman, plan to reserve on the first day reservations open up for your desired time period.  They fill up fast.

As far as your desire to see the stars, you should be able to see the stars from somewhere in just about every site in the CG.  While there are trees, it is not heavily wooded.  If your desire is to have a nice view of the "Watchman" formation, I recommend before you reserve a specific site, look at its location on the Park's map of the campground (http://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/upload/2013-Regs_WatchmanCG-new-map.pdf) and then look at a satellite photo of the campground using Google Maps or some other mapping program to see what the tree cover is like on that particular site.  The satellite photos give great detail of the campground.

Thanks so much to everyone.  I have made our reservation and we are excited to visit there for a couple nights on our way from Yellowstone to the north rim.

The site below also has pictures of all the sites in Watchman

http://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/Watchman

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom