Water Damage Repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laura10

Hi all,
I have a couple of issues going on... we bought our RV about 6 months ago. It's a 2005 Gulf Stream TT. Since buying it, from all the rain we've had lately I've noticed a soft spot just inside the entry door on the floor at the door frame. This spot is on the same side as the door handle, without pulling up the threshold, it appears to be no larger than 3 inches, right where the floor meets the wall at the edge of the door frame. I haven't located a 'leak'. Everything seems to be secure. Right after buying it, we sealed the roof and caulked everything - you know just preventative maintenance. My guess is, is that since this area is just above where the slideout crank is, (siding at crank by the steps is slightly damaged) that rain run off has made it's way in. My question for this area, is how would I fix this small soft spot? OR if I locate how it's getting wet just fix the leak/rain run off, and leave it be? No one is going to directly step on that little spot.

Problem #2... My window frames and door frame 'sweat' during the winter... BAD! (the door sweat might be the cause to problem 1). It started popping the paneling off the wall in the bed room under the window, so I decided to investigate. To do this I had to remove the interior window frame. What I found was the wood inside the window frame was wet - not from rain (it hadn't rained in at least a month), just humidity or condensation.  *Note-  it's not on the glass, it's on the metal and it runs down the walls! There is no moisture barrier between the aluminum of the RV and the wood frame of the window. I looked the best I could behind the paneling, there doesn't seem to be a moisture problem there, rather just at the windows and door. My question is... would that foam window and door spray you get at any hardware store work for this? Should I (somehow) install a moisture barrier first? Or will this spray foam work for that too.

I've attached a few photos of this problem. I live in TX, while we don't get severely cold winters, temps do drop below freezing for short periods of time. This particular evening temps were just above freezing, I wanted to fix the paneling that had popped out under the window (there was a cool draft coming from it/the window frame).  Also, since I'm sure this is still part of the same problem, the cabinets above the bed... the ceiling will actually FROST! again, once it thaws...dripping on whatever is up there. How would I fix that?!

For now this is our permanent residence, so whatever I fix needs to be completed quickly.
Thanks in advance,
Laura

Attachments

• 1204150014b.jpg
    1204150014b.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 1204150016b.jpg
    1204150016b.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 52
  • 1204150014.jpg
    1204150014.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 47
Hi Laura,

If the trailer is where you are living - the moisture inside is coming from you.  Cooking, washing, breathing, living puts a large quantity of water into the air and it is trappedin a sealed up trailer.  You need to crack vents and windows as much as possible and run a good fan (not wimpy bathroom and stove hood) to try and get that moist air out.
If there is any way you can fit it in your space I suggest you get a dehumifier. 
I got one from costco a few years ago - it has a drain alternative so you can run a hose and it will pump water up to drain in the sink.  As a bonus it produces some heat so it could help you out with extremes of cooling down overnight
I leave it running 24/7 when we are not in the trailer and take it out when we go camping as it is pretty heavy and takes up space and we have a small trailer.
Not sure about how to execute your  vapor barrier question - but sounds like a good idea.

KG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katjarner
Back
Top Bottom