Water Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your preferred method of filtration?

• Filter under/on faucet & on shower head

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

7.3diesel

Which systems/brands have you tried & liked & would recommend?

Why?

Which systems/brands have you tried & disliked?

Why?

I don't think the "system" brand is as important as the type of filtration (material, microns, etc.). And that choice depends on what you want to achieve, i.e. remove debris, improve taste, prevent water borne parasites, etc. Most campgrounds these days have adequate quality water supplies, regulated and inspected like any small municipal water system, and typically chlorinated for bacterial prevention.  However, in some areas there may still be a risk of diseases like crypto or giarda that may warrant some extra care if you are doubtful of the campground supply. If not that, you may want a charcoal or similar filter media that removes odd tastes or whatever you dislike.

Here in the eastern US, I just use a basic sand filter in a "whole house" system to remove debris.

One filter under the sink to one faucet, nothing on the shower. A Brita pitcher in the fridge for coffee and the occasional glass of water. No restrictions, nothing to change.

Gary RV Roamer said:
I don't think the "system" brand is as important as the type of filtration (material, microns, etc.). And that choice depends on what you want to achieve, i.e. remove debris, improve taste, prevent water borne parasites, etc.
Point taken. I'm interested in knowing about all the various RV water filtration systems and what various people's goals are, what they're achieving with them as well as their diverse & unique experiences. Some folks may be interested in keeping minerals out of their tanks & pipes, others may be interested in health, others may be interested in taste. I'm personally interested in hearing about everyone's different goals & reasoning before I go out and spend hundreds of dollars on a system.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Here in the eastern US, I just use a basic sand filter in a "whole house" system to remove debris.
Thanks.

Our motorhome came with a built-in two-filter system, one for larger debris (dirt) and one for smaller (carbon).  All water coming into the motorhome goes through this system.  Because we've been in a few places where, for example, water came from a cistern that had leaves floating on it, we also attach a 20-mircron dirt filter to the campground faucet.  This filter gets out big stuff before it gets to the motorhome filters.  It has a valve that twists back and forth so we can backflush the filter.  At times Jerry has seen slightly red water coming out which is nothing more than red dirt.  Finally because of nasty bugs like Cryptosporidium and Giardia and metals we installed at the kitchen sink an Everpure 1/2-micron filter for drinking and cooking water. We added the latter at both the house and the motorhome after Minneapolis got Cryptosporidium in their municipal water system.  Anyone who has a compromised immune system should have a really good filter like this for their drinking water.  Of course, we also sanitize the fresh water tank on a regular basis.  We've never had stomach issues caused by bad water, even in Mexico when everyone else in our group got sick.  By the way, the shower doesn't need its own filter if you have some other basic ones to filter all the water in the RV.

ArdraF

We have a dual 2 stage sediment and 1 stage charcoal on the exterior of the trailer and all incoming water goes through these first.  Then under the sink we have a 2 stage RO system to a separate faucet for drinking, ice making and cooking.

We have the same system at home with the addition of a whole house softener to all incoming water, then the filtration and then the RO.

We are in Yuma for the winter and the water in the city is atrocious in the extreme.  All over the city there are RO sales sites to buy water for .50 for 5 gallons.

Jim Godward said:
I voted for both as I only use s particle filter in the whole house housing and a carbon filter under the sink.

Exactly like us..... The under sink filter also feed the ice maker....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamiluu
Back
Top Bottom