Water Heater Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Win10$

Atwood water Heater gas/ electric with motor aid ( element burnt out) so I disconnected the power to element and isolated. Gas was working fine now however it will run for 1 min and shutdown. I thought maybe ground issue. Didn't help. The relay for 120v is unhooked. What do I need to do to get gas to work until able to replace Element. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Try unplugging any plugs on the circuit board and clean the contacts. A eraser works good for that. Plug them in and unplug them several times to make sure they're making good contact.

The most likely thing would be a loose connection as Rene said, the other most likely thing would be the flame sensor.  The flame sensor is also the sparker electrode.  Make sure you have a healthy flame.

Since the flame lights and burns for a minute, you can rest assured that you have adequate 12v power to the circuit board and propane is flowing. Shutting down after a minute is nearly always the controller responding to the lack of positive verification from the flame sensor. If the controller doesn't detect a flame, it turns the gas valve off to prevent an explosion.  The #1 & #2 causes are either a corroded wire connection between controller and sensor, or a bad sensor. The igniter is also the sensor.  The igniter keeps working because it is a powerful high voltage pulse, but the sensor signal is a very weak voltage that can easily be lost if the connection is poor.

Thanks everyone installed a new element and everything is working now. Thanks much.

Win10$ said:
Thanks everyone installed a new element and everything is working now. Thanks much.

That's awesome. Thanks for getting back to us. How much did you pay for it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom