Water Leak Around Front AC Unit 2012 Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raylc

We are on a trip and at this time we are in VA. We had a really hard rain two nights ago with wind for about 20 min. We had water drip through one of the ceiling lights. We have been in rain, driven in rain but never had a leak before. The next morning I climbed on the roof to have a look see. I found no cracks, no loose caulking (of course it could be that) the only thing that I think it might be is the roof top front AC. How do you check to see if it is sealed, tighten and not going to leak. Thanks for your help.

If you remove the inside AC cover you'll be able to access the 4 bolts that hold the unit down. Gently tighten each of the bolts. Hopefully you'll find one that is a little looser than the other. When you are tightening the bolts you pulling it down against a gasket on the roof that forms the seal.

Thanks for sharing the info Ken. I now know where to look for and how to get to the bolts that need checked/tightened. Hope it helps the original poster! I was searching for it in the library and read about replacing the seal but wasn't sure where the bolts were... inside or outside. Thanks again, will try tightening mine first before replacing seal!

wvlonglegs said:
Thanks for sharing the info Ken. I now know where to look for and how to get to the bolts that need checked/tightened. Hope it helps the original poster! I was searching for it in the library and read about replacing the seal but wasn't sure where the bolts were... inside or outside. Thanks again, will try tightening mine first before replacing seal!

like Ken stated, gently tighten these bolts. Don't over torque them. Maybe take 1 turn at the most on each bolt.

And remember there is still a chance it could be coming from some where else. Keep looking everywhere.

Ken & Sheila said:
If you remove the inside AC cover you'll be able to access the 4 bolts that hold the unit down. Gently tighten each of the bolts. Hopefully you'll find one that is a little looser than the other. When you are tightening the bolts you pulling it down against a gasket on the roof that forms the seal.

I removed the  cover today but there were no bolts that I could see that hold the unit down. I have Coleman Mach units and no bolts were visible.

Raylc said:
I removed the  cover today but there were no bolts that I could see that hold the unit down. I have Coleman Mach units and no bolts were visible.

Don't know what model you have but look at page 6 of this manual. They are all pretty much similar:
http://www.airxcel.com/docs/default-source/coleman-mach/roughneck/roughneck-installation-instructions.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Ray Remove the AC cover and look close between metal tray the AC is mounted in and the roof. On our 2012 Journey I had the same issue and found that there was a small gap in the front on a seal that was between the tray and the roof. Sealed it up with caulk, no leak since.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom