Water Pump Running All the Time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jagnweiner

My brother just purchased a nicely restored classic 1977 GMC motorhome.  He has always dreamed of owning a GMC because his friend's family owned one when he was a kid.  Anyway, he spent last night in my coach while he monitored the burning of a large brush pile on his property (where we also keep our coach).  Before I left for the night, I told him that I turned the water pump on in case he needed to use the restroom.  He was surprised that he didn't hear it running and said "your pump only runs when the water is running or the toilet is flushed?"  "Yes," I said, "that's how they're supposed to work.  Does yours run all the time?" He said it did run all the time when the switch was on, so I told him we would have to look into that and fix it.  (Presumably either a fill valve in the wrong position or a faulty pressure switch in the pump)  He then said that's the way the water pump worked in GMCs back in the day.  You turned the switch on only when you were actually using water, it ran the whole time and then you turned it off.

Anyone know if that's actually true?  If so, is there any problem with plumbing in a more modern setup that only runs the pump when water is actually being used?  (I haven't checked out his plumbing system so have no idea what his current setup looks like.)

I think your brother is wrong, but I don't have specific knowledge of his GMC. Way, way back in the day, some water systems used pressurized water tanks rather than demand pumps, but the pump was still pressure-regulated. I don't know of any that you turn on only when you actually need water.

If you have a water fill selector check that it is not in the fill position. Been there done that.

I had an old Aristocrate TT that had a pressurized water system and my pump ran all the time too. But it had an air leak, that I didn't find until I filled the tank too much one time and it leaked. When I fixed the leak the pump only ran when the tank needed pressurized.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably be taking a look at it tomorrow. He did say the tank is not pressurized.

On my trailer, after I fill the fresh water tank, if I don't turn the selector valve from "water fill" to the "city water" position the water pump will run all the time. Could this be your problem?

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.

I spent most of my money on Women, Whisky, And Beer and the rest I just wasted.

Well, technically its not my problem, it's my brothers problem. I'll check when i go visit him tomorrow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom