water stain on linolium floor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

super dave

We have a mat by the door where we place our shoes.  One of the shoes must have been pretty wet because it left a dark spot on the linolium floor.  Is there any way of removing the stain? 
Thanks in advance.

Just curious...

Does the stain have a blueish/purple hue to it?  I also have a stain on our kitchen linoleum at one end of the slide out before replacing the seal.  I've been wondering what to do about it.

Probably not, but don't be afraid to try bleach or peroxide. Maybe moisten a white cloth or paper towel with a strong solution and let it lay on the discolored spot for a few hours. Don't try that with any colored cloth or paper, though, or you could make the stain worse.

redlabel said:
A purple stain in vinyl is usually an indicator of a mildew problem

Could be. But not convinced. The best way I can describe the stain I have is what a shirt pocket looks like when a blue ink pen leaks into the pocket. Not near that extreme, but similar.

Will try a bleach and/or peroxide solution to try and determine if the stain is on top or permeated into the linoleum.

I install flooring for a living and usually a black, purple, dark blue or grey stain is a mold from underneath problem. I see this daily around toilets. Water seeps under the vinyl and the wood, glue and paper backing mold. Not much you can do with it other than pull it out. Of you have a scrap you could possibly patch the bad area.

Speaking from personnel experience, you have a leak and the flooring beneath the vinyl is wet. The grayish blue is, as others suggested, mold coming up through the vinyl.  I had a spot show up in the flooring several feet away from the leak which was not discovered because of the cabinets.  Check the door seal and also any windows and if there is a slide near the door, check the seal.  My slide seals leaked when the slide was in.

Back
Top Bottom