Water tank, gray water tank and black water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Backdraft161

My question is this: when I am hooked to an external outside water faucet where does the water go? Into my drinking water tank or straight thru to the fixtures?

Same for the gray and black water tanks. Do I fill the black water tank half full and then use? Does the gray water tank fill by using the inside fixtures, such as kitchen sink, bathroom sink ect.?

This is my first class A MH.

When hooked to city water, the water goes straight to the fixtures.
The gray tank is filled from the draining of the sinks and shower. The black is filled by flushing the toilet. I always put 3-4 gallons of water along with the chemical in the black water tank. This gives it a little liquid to begin the chemical breakdown of solids. We have a 60 gal black tank, so it never get full before we need to dump the gray.
Enjoy the adventure.

cpeters is correct.  You just want a liquid level in your black tank to avoid the black pyramid of doom.  It need not be half full.  The number 1 mistake, I was told is that rv'er do not use enough water when they flush.  That and convenience is the reason some manufacturers plumb the bathroom sink to the black tank.  You should do some experimenting to locate where each of your water fixtures drain.

I'm kind of a nut about keeping my black tank as clean as possible and we are almost always on full hook ups so after flushing I use my sani flush to rinse well, fill half way, flush and rinse again and then add about 1/4 cup of Dawn liquid and fill black tank about 1/3 with fresh water.  Turns out I've probably ignored my gray tank too much in the process and am now having to use an enzyme product to try and clean it out a bit.  Odors and gauge that doesn't work.

rick

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom