Wax on Painted Aluminum (Jayco Jay Flight)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ihealthi

We just hired someone to wash and wax our two month old tt.  This is the guys business and we met him while he was cleaning a neighboring motorhome.  It never occured to either of us to ask what the guy would use.  After all was said and done, he said that he used a cherry carnuba wax on the exterior (it came in a container with a spray top attached).  He then had to wipe it off when it dried.  He said he normally buffs it on, but we have a corragated type of siding (not smooth) so he applied it the way he did by spraying it on.  He mentioned that this wax job should easily last a year, but encouraged us to clean the bugs off of the front panel occasionally with "Blue Corral" wash and wax liquid.

It just occured to DH and me that somewhere it was mentioned not to use carnuba wax on a certain type of rv siding.  Is Carnuba ok for painted aluminum?  For upkeep, would the "Blue Corral" wash and wax liquid be fine?

I don't know of any type of RV siding where carnuba wax would be unsuitable. The only draw back to carnuba is the rubbing.

Besides, any sprayable wax product will have so little carnuba that it is not worth the effort to debate. Any significant amount of carnuba in a wax compound will be really sticky and won't spray worth a  darn. Spray waxes typically have a minute amount of carnuba among the ingredients, mostly just for bragging rights.

I suspect that you read our comments about carnuba paste wax being the best thing to protect gel coat on fiberglass. As Gary says, there's no reason that carnuba can't be applied to any RV finish, but IMO it would be a waste of money and effort to apply it to aluminum or a painted surface.

I use carnuba paste wax exclusively on our boat but, on our painted coach, I use TurtleWax liquid/spray once or maybe twice a year, and wash periodically with ZipWax. I've also used Blue Corral and TurtleWax wash. They all give the same great results.

There are other options - see the file on Maintaining the new look of your RV in our forum library.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom