Weight of 1978 Kountry Aire 24 foot travel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debanie

Howdy,

We are considering buying a 1978 Kountry Aire 24 foot travel trailer. Haven't gone to look at it yet, as it's a bit more than a hundred miles from home. We are trying to ask pertinent questions before planning a trip to go see it. The gal selling it is very kind, helpful, willing to answer questions. But she says the trailer weighs 1600 pounds. Can this possibly be true? Thanks for any input from anyone experienced in this area.

I have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee in excellent condition, new transmission. It has the 5.2 litre V8 engine and my specs say I can haul up to a 30 foot trailer, and up to 6500 pounds. Of course I realize we need to keep our trailer weight much lower, to allow for stuff we put in it, water, propane, etc... Thanks again for any insight here.

Kountry Airs were never consider light trailers.  In fact just the opposite.  They are really well built but heavy.  I would have serious doubts about your Jeep being able to move it very well.  But that is just my opinion.

Thanks, Donn - that is actually my opinion as well.  I more or less discounted the idea that this would be a good trailer for me precisely due to the weight of it. We are trying to figure out what size and over the last few days have decided we might do fine with a 20 foot model. Then the gal with this Kountry Aire, although she spells it Country Aire - is there a different one like that? Anyway, she wrote back just now answering a bunch of questions I'd asked a few days ago, and said the trailer weighs only 1600 pounds. I wonder where she is getting that idea. I think she only lived in it, in a stationary setting, not hauling it. I'm leery.

Ask her to give you the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating)  from the sticker that should be on the left front corner of the trailer.  It may not be readable any more since it's just a piece of thin aluminum and the numbers were embossed into it using a typewriter.  The GVWR is the most the trailer can weigh fully loaded and most trailers weigh pretty close to that number by the time you get your stuff loaded, the water tank filled, etc.  So that is the number you should be using to decide if your vehicle can tow it.  No one travels with an empty trailer!

If that sticker isn't there, see if she can give you the weight rating of one of the tires - something like "1600 lbs @ 65 PSI" should be molded into the tire sidewall, just like on a car tire.  Assuming the trailer has 4 tires, multiply that by 4 to get a ballpark guess of the trailer weight.

My 1988 terry resort weighs 1800 dry and its only 18 feet. Seriously doubt that trailer is that light.

Back
Top Bottom