Weird gas fridge problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gretaeva

Hello,  we have a 1991 Tioga Montara with the original fridge. All was fine. One night at 2 am I turned off the gas safty sensor ( don't need to get into why at the momment) . Ever since, the fridge will only fire up first thing in the morning.  But if it goes off or we shut it off it will not restart until the next early morning attempt. Then it will run for about 15 minutes.  It runs fine on electric. All was fine until I shut off the gas sensor which then cut off the gas. We are flummoxed.  The man that usually works on the RV is out of town.

An RV of that era may have a safety solenoid associated with the detector, and it appears to be acting up. These solenoids are not required, and if you have one, the best thing to do is remove it from the propane system. I also recommend replacing the detector. It's 27 years old, and way past it's designed lifetime.

Yep, I would agree. The problem is most likely being caused by that solonoid. I'd get rid of it, especially since, as kdbgoat said, they're no longer required.

Kev

Just occurred to me,  could it be the solenoid  even though the gas stove and furnace still fire up fine?

No. If other gas appliances continue to work, it's not the LP solenoid.  The gas supply solenoid is either off or on, not selective by appliance type.
Need to investigate the fridge LP burner more closely. For example, when it "runs for 15 minutes", what happens thereafter? Does it try to re-ignite automatically and fail? Or simply quit and do nothing?  What happens when you turn it off and back on again? Any attempt to light? You need to observe the burner directly and also listen for the noise of sparking ignition to tell.

Also, what make & model of fridge?  I'm assuming it is spark ignition, but back in 1991 there were still some manual pilot light models in use.  If it is pilot light ignition, you could have a pilot problem, e.g. some clogging or a faulty pilot safety interlock.

Thanks for some great info. . After running for about 15 minutes, it just goes out. Then does nothing. So, then I turn the switch off and try to ignite again, but nothing happens, it seems to try and ignite once then just goes to the checknlight.. I will  listen better outside while my DH flips the switch.  I did notice last time we tried to figure it out, when we were listening and  checking it out,  it did smell of gas.near the burner... mildly.

I will check flame color when we try and light it tomorrow. It is just so odd that it will only light first thing in the morning and only since the weather got cold. Then never again.we try throughout the day.

I actually found a manual online that shows how to test components with a voltmeter Good diagrams so maybe I need to venture there. Though I don't think  I could fix it unless it is super simple. I am somewhat machanical. It's a Servel or Dometic silhouette S620.
It gets nice and cold on electric and up until 2 weeks ago it still got cold on gas.
Thanks for your help

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom