WFCO 45 Amp Converter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishtruman

I have a 2002 Prowler TT with the original WFCO-45amp power converter.  I recently started having problems with the house battery not charging.  I've checked the output at the battery with a voltmeter and sometimes its 12.3, other times its over 14 and at even other times it doesn't register at all.  :eek: I've been awakened a few times in the middle of the night with my low voltage horn going off and I've had to go outside and hook-up a fresh battery.  Can I assume the charging function on the converter has gone out or might there be another explanation?  I've checked all the fuses in the panel and on the converter itself and they were fine.  Thanks for you help.

take the battery loose, and see what the converter is puting out. 13.5 is normal, anything less and the converter is bad.  if it is 0vdc check the outlet that the converter plugs into, and see if you have 110 to 120 vac there.  if you do, it is the conveter, if no, correct your ac problem with that outlet. it may be a gfci outlet and need to be reset.
steve

It sounds like your converter is intermittent, supplying voltage for a while to charge the battery, then shutting down.  14 volts means the battery is being charged, at least while you're making the measurement.   That has to come from the converter unless you have another charging source like a solar panel.  There's also a charging wire that goes to your tow vehicle, so you could see charging voltage from that while the trailer is hooked up and the tow vehicle is running.

Before you replace the converter, make sure it's getting enough cooling air.   Most intermittent shutdowns are caused by the converter overheating.   Make sure airflow in and out of it is not obstructed by dust or other objects.   If it has an internal cooling fan, it should come on as soon as it starts to heat up from a heavy load.  If the fan isn't working, that may be the cause of the problem.

we have the exact same  amp converter in our 2005 fleetwood dakota .
I saw you said they were notorious for not lasting one , and we are now as of yesterday with its failing in the market for buying a replacement .
Is their a replacement you might recommend ? As we are newbies and not sure what to look for .

You are responding to a 9 year old topic, so the information may no longer to up to date.  A lack of recent complaints suggests that WFCO has improved the reliability of their product, so I would have to consider their brand as well as Progressive Dynamics and Iota.  I also see quite a few people using the less expensive Boondocker brand nowadays, but it will be a few years before a quality track record is well-established.

Great thank you for your response  ! That info has been very helpful !!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom