What a waste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's to hoping to see it on an episode of Vice Grip Garage!

a guy up the street from me retired and bought a small about 14ft V-bottom aluminum fishing boat and he and his good buddy went fishing just about every day they could. he came home one afternoon and from what i remember he had a heart attack and died. his van and boat are sitting where he last left it in the driveway for the last 30 years. guess his family keeps his memory by leaving it alone.

A while back when we were young and keeping the lights on was a bigger priority than dumping money into an old truck, we sold a '72 K5 Blazer. Rockers weren't rusted and it had less than 100k original miles. They weren't valuable trucks back then, appreciated, sure, but not valuable in heavily-used condition, and even though we had the forethought that it could rise in value someday, hanging on to the truck just wasn't in the cards. It was an expense, and we didn't have room for it.

That was 15 years ago. I stumbled upon a listing for that old K5 last week (the exact one we owned) and my jaw hit the floor. It was virtually unchanged from when we sold it except for a few trim pieces. We sold it for a pittance on Craigslist. Current list price is $59k. Not that having it now would make us rich or change our position. But as an opposite example to the OP's post, we sold our "someday" because we knew it would otherwise rot...
I had a 1971 Chevy Chevelle Malibu that I bought in 1977 for $1300 and sold in 1980 for $1000 when I joined the Navy. The same car today, if it were kept stock and is in better-than-good condition, is going for upwards of $60,000. It was my girl-getter. :cool:

1708717796301.jpeg

I had a 1971 Chevy Chevelle Malibu that I bought in 1977 for $1300 and sold in 1980 for $1000 when I joined the Navy. The same car today, if it were kept stock and is in better-than-good condition, is going for upwards of $60,000. It was my girl-getter. :cool:

View attachment 171387
I had a 67 Malibu bought new for $2615.00. 327 with a 4 speed and possi with dual exhaust. Was suppose to be around 275 HP. Back then it was legal to drive with racing slicks as long as they had two grooves to shed water. They were terrible in the rain. I had it for 4 years and traded it in when mama got pregnant. The dealer only had it for a few days. A couple of months later the guy who bought it was traveling at a very high rate of speed around a curve, went sideways and was t-boned. End of that car

Last edited:
A couple of months later the guy who bought it was traveling at a very high rate of speed around a curve, went sideways and was t-boned. End of that car
I've seen that a few times. Two cars I'd owned for some time were totaled within a month or two of selling them. I already mentioned the Citation X11 sold to an aspiring commercial pilot who apparently already had a drinking problem (why he wrecked the car) that became career ending many years later. The other was an '82 Mustang GT. I don't remember who the buyer was or the circumstance, but I heard due to excessive speed, it left the road, took an unplanned trip through the woods and emerged with no unharmed body panels and was a total loss.

My Mom had a mint '88 IROC Z/28 she'd had since nearly new. Dad talked her into selling it in the mid-90's and it ended days later like your Malibu. Driver pulled out in front of a 10 wheel dump truck. 20 years later she still brings it up now and then. Poor Dad LOL.

Back
Top Bottom