What about Oregon???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What it really boils down to, Gary, is that you have to find the right mix for you and Maria.  What works for one person doesn't work for another.  Take your time and travel around for several years until you find a likely place.  When we were looking, RV parking was a primary issue because of anti-RV attitudes where we lived.  We discovered that a lot of golf-oriented communities don't even want an RV in the parking lot of their sales building so we knew right off that they didn't want our money and left.  We ended up with a great property and an RV garage attached to the house.  This was an excellent move for us but it took several years of traveling around.  When you find a likely place, start asking LOTS of questions about costs, taxes, etc.  Years ago Florida was bad for people with investments which were taxed as personal property.  They've since changed it, but that's an example of what you need to examine.  Our vehicle registration fees and insurance rates aren't the greatest, but other positive factors far outweigh those negatives.

ArdraF

garyb1st said:
We're ready to leave the Golden State.  Just don't know where we want to end up.  Oregon, Washington and Idaho are on our short list. 

Gary,
While California was very good to us in our growing up and working  days, when  I  retired on  June 30,2003, we hit the road the very next day on July 1, 2003 to travel  full time.  I have never missed California. We visit frequently as we still have family in the area. We now have the best of many worlds  because we  travel in motorhome 6 months a year and spend  time  in Yuma in  our stick built house in the winter as well as time  in Northern Idaho  in the  summer up near Sandpoint.  Sandpoint was once voted one of the top 10  places to retire. I encourage you to visit the area.  They do have a winter and a ski resort too! I can't do cold so we  haven't spent a winter there.

In the overall scope of a lifestyle I doubt the differences in  registration  or taxes will make as much difference as what you may spend on  a property. What a wonderful challenge before you and Maria to make  this choice for a different life.  Enjoy the search.  And enjoy that " new" motorhome!

Frizlefrak said:
No state income tax?  Nice climate?  Friendly people?  Fantastic food? Lots to do?

Texas.  :)
Oregon has state income tax but no sales tax.In fact I think its #5 in your nation for combined state and federal taxes.I like the Bend/LaPine/klamoth falls area though
California property taxes at 1.23% are terrible I agree but you have to pay for all the illegals and entitlement( welfare bums) somehow.Booze is cheap so I like that
weather in indio in the winter is unbeatable  pros and cons to almost anywhere

Possum said:
Have they put up the "Will Last Person to Leave CA Please Turn Out The Lights" signs yet? My nephew and his wife are planning on leaving once his retirement kicks in.

I actually called Oregon recently to ask about moving there (we currently live in Mexifornia). I was told that Oregon is Closed. ha ha

Seriously, I bet there are almost no Oregonians left in Oregon. I feel terrible about it. Our state (CA) is suffering a plague, so we move North to get away from it and we displace others doing so.

What I also found out is the California exodus has caused Oregon prices to go through the roof. Real Estate prices have tripled. It's easy to see how. The California couple sells their home for $775,000.00, takes the $400,000.00 appreciation in cash and buys something in Oregon outright. It's hard to compete with cash.

Hey SGT-Mac,,, don't feel bad about all of the Ca. people occupying Oregon. Heck we sold a couple of our houses to those rich Ca. folks. And they spent their good money in my store while I worked.  They helped me retire LOL!!! I love Ca. people, just not their state.

Sgt-Mac said:
I actually called Oregon recently to ask about moving there (we currently live in Mexifornia). I was told that Oregon is Closed. ha ha

Seriously, I bet there are almost no Oregonians left in Oregon. I feel terrible about it. Our state (CA) is suffering a plague, so we move North to get away from it and we displace others doing so.

What I also found out is the California exodus has caused Oregon prices to go through the roof. Real Estate prices have tripled. It's easy to see how. The California couple sells their home for $775,000.00, takes the $400,000.00 appreciation in cash and buys something in Oregon outright. It's hard to compete with cash.

Be sure to check veterans benefits. They're actually better in California than in Oregon.

There are places in Oregon where the real estate prices have not tripled. Most areas had real estate prices decline along with California but have started to go back up. And there are some areas in Oregon that have seriously depressed real estate markets, like La Pine. Bend dropped a bunch but has since recovered.

As for Oregon taxes, for those of us with mostly non-taxable income and minimal taxable income, Oregon isn't a bad choice.

Wendy

hdrider said:
Hey SGT-Mac,,, don't feel bad about all of the Ca. people occupying Oregon. Heck we sold a couple of our houses to those rich Ca. folks. And they spent their good money in my store while I worked.  They helped me retire LOL!!! I love Ca. people, just not their state.

We love your attitude!!!!! Most of that was tongue in cheek. We did look into moving to Oregon. We miss the old California. There is good and bad everywhere. 

Wendy said:
Be sure to check veterans benefits. They're actually better in California than in Oregon.

There are places in Oregon where the real estate prices have not tripled. Most areas had real estate prices decline along with California but have started to go back up. And there are some areas in Oregon that have seriously depressed real estate markets, like La Pine. Bend dropped a bunch but has since recovered.

As for Oregon taxes, for those of us with mostly non-taxable income and minimal taxable income, Oregon isn't a bad choice.

Wendy

You are correct. And really there is good and bad everywhere. It's up to the individual. Our real plan of buying an island is way out of our price range, so we will focus on a Plan B that we can actually afford. :)

My only problem with moving out of state to get rid of the old issues is that no matter where I go, there I am......  ::);D

Water Dog said:
My only problem with moving out of state to get rid of the old issues is that no matter where I go, there I am......  ::);D

There is an old proverb about this.

A young couple comes into town on a wagon and asks a Farmer they see at the edge of the new town what the people are like there.

The Farmer asks the couple '"What are the folks like in the town you left?"

The couple answer "They are terrible. Rude. Selfish and bothersome".

The Farmer says, "Yup, they are the same here".

And the couple moves along to the next town.

Soon after, another young couple comes along in a wagon and happen on the same Farmer at the edge of town.

They ask, "What are the folks like here? We are considering moving here."

The Farmer asks, "What are the people like in the town you left?"

The couple answers "They are nicest people. Kind, generous, real good folks".

The Farmer answers, "Yup, they are the same here. Welcome to our town."

Sgt-Mac said:
The couple answers "They are nicest people. Kind, generous, real good folks".

The Farmer answers, "Yup, they are the same here. Welcome to our town."

Lot of truth in that one.

Gary had the right idea - in either Washington or Oregon, go east of the mountains and you'll have a lot more sunny weather.  the Bend/Sun River area in Oregon has always appealed to me.  It's also great in the winter if you like winter sports.  If you don't, winter is a good time for a trip south.

One note - if you want to live near large cities, most of them in these two states are on the west (cloudy) side.  If you like more rural living, it's tough to beat the east side.  And yup, I think Idaho is gorgeous, too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RVN907
Back
Top Bottom