What about when it's too hot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVRAC

I will be traveling this week on areas where the temps are going to be 100 or more. Should I lower the tire pressure from the recommended amount on the unit plate?

No. Tire pressure is meant to be set when the tires are "cold," meaning before being driven so that you don't have the pressure buildup from the heat and action of driving on them. The tire engineers have already figured changes from driving (more heat, more pressure) into the design of the tire.

So lowering the pressure from the proper inflation pressure would mean that you are driving on an under-inflated tire, which is not good for tires, and can actually generate more heat than driving with the proper pressure.

No. I live where it's over a 100 all the time in the summer. In the late spring I'll set my pressure when it's about 85 degrees and leave it alone for the summer.

I'll travel from where it's 105 to an area where it's 55 degrees in one day. . The next day it might be just the opposite.

I check my tire pressure in the morning before I leave and don't adjust them for temperature nor altitude.

Also, check the air pressures when the tires are cold, or before you begin to drive. Tire pressure charts are based on starting at whatever the ambient air temperature happens to be. Larry has given you good advice.

I will be traveling this week on areas where the temps are going to be 100 or more. Should I lower the tire pressure from the recommended amount on the unit plate?
Certainly not, the tires need the higher pressure to give lesser heatproduction at same speed,because cooling down is also worse at higher ambiënt temperatures.

If its apriciated, I can give text I used for other topic in other forum, about it.
Was burned down there for saying that at 40 degr F outside, you dont need to highen up the pressure, for savety, so tires dont overheat, so the other side.

Even if recomended pressure is 80psi on a E- load tire, you must not lower it to 80 psi when you measure 86psi on a hot 100degrF morning in the shade ( so no external factors like sunshine on tire.

IMO, Being overly-concerned about tire pressure is a result of TPMS's and adhering strictly to a load/inflation chart. What did we do before those?

IMO, Being overly-concerned about tire pressure is a result of TPMS's and adhering strictly to a load/inflation chart. What did we do before those?
We aired up to maximum and did a lot of bouncing. I also had two trailer tire blow outs over 25 years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom