What are the Best 5th Wheels/Brand to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi BugsPlatz,

bugsplatz said:
Have you considered a used AlpenLITE 5er? Excellent quality with an equally good rep!

Interesting, thanks for commenting it. Just had a look at RVTrader, but it seems there aren't any units newer than 2008 for sale?! Did they stop manufacturing them in 2008?

We would also prefer used, but around the 5-year mark...

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Yes, Alpenlite died around 2009.  But quality died around 2005 when the kids took over and tried to cheap them out.  The best ones were probably 2002 to 2005.
BTW is was Alpenlite not AlpenLITE and they were never noted for being light.
Someone mentioned Forest River quality.  But I have to argue with that.  My 2005 Cedar Creek has been flawless since day one except for dealer caused and normal wear and tear items.  FR, at least Cedar Creek diivision customer suupport is some of the best in the industry.  Who ever buys my CC this spring will get one well built unit that I expect to go another 10 years with only normal repairs.

Hmmm... I am watching this thread, because we, too, are expecting to trade to a newer probably bigger and heavier 5th Wheel in the next few years.  So, DH and I have been looking at the FR Cedar Creek Hathaway edition. It's bigger and more expensive than your shopping specs.  We currently have a FR Palomino Sabre, 30 ft, 2008.  It's an ultra lite, and it has held up very well for its price and construction level over the years. All RVs need maintaining.  Rigs of this vintage do have some problems with graphics as the years go on. 

My main comment is this:  Rigs in the 30K price range are never going to be as well built and trouble free as ones that are advertised to be Four Season, Full-timer RVs.  The price range of these rigs is substantially higher, with new ones falling in the 80K range.  The construction in 30K range will be cheaper, inside and out, from the roof to the tires.  Now, in our case, DH has become quite expert at fixing/maintaining our current rig. With each repair, he has learned more.  If you don't have that same ability and expect to have every small item repaired professionally, you may have different needs than we would. We have taken out the extended warranties in the past, and never found that we got our money's worth for them, because we did not have many issues until the warranty was expired.  Having said that, our dealer has always been very easy to work with.  So, with this explanation, I have been happy enough with Forest River products and would use them again. My only current issue with FR is the fact that they have very few models that do not have a carpet lip that runs the length of the kitchen slide out. That means an edge of carpet under the stove, which I will not tolerate.  Ick!  I think it is a design issue that will go away completely in the next few years.  The Hathaway Edition has and linoleum lip and no such issues. 

In summary, you have the potential of some issues with any model in this price range, depending upon your expectations. The key is a good dealership.  Do your homework.

I have heard the $1,500,000 units have problems. So RV issues are at every level and every manufacture. The key is doing the maintenance and small fixes yourself.

As far as price when you state 80K and above you mean MSRP or out the door. Most MSRP can be had in the $50K range. A $30K out the door is prob $50K MSRP. Point is its hard to correlate price to level of quality.  Look at fixtures, wood work on trim, entry steps, carpet and flooring, accents, and the details. Its amazing how much you can tell about overall quality from looking at the bathroom.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharod
Back
Top Bottom