What are the never leave home without tools?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom has already named the tool that most of us consider a must have.  Of course, this implies that you know how, when and why to use it.  Even if you don't know how to use it,  have it available for the person you request help from. ;) 

Many folks will suggest a long list of possibly useful tools.  The clue to whether you need to carry any other specific tools is;  can you confidently use it? 

My list has actually shrunk over the years, rather than having grown.  I used to carry at least one of every automotive diagnostic/repair tool that I owned.  I now only carry those tools that I honestly think I would/could use in attempting a minor repair while traveling.  Those attempts are also diminishing as I age.

My recommendation would be to carry only the tools that you think you can effectively use.  Don't waste time collecting and carrying tools that you think might be needed to make exotic repairs that you wouldn't/couldn't attempt in the first place.

PS - Both Tom Seiler and Molaker give good advice ;) ;D

bought cordless tools (ridgid has lifetime warranty) drill, screwgun, ratchet. I use them at home but pack them up everytime I leave. Sears had Tool box full of tools on sale and fits just right next to basement air conditioner. full set 1/4, 3/8, 1/2. and of course electrical tool VOM and spare wire.

I may not use them but someone else may need just what I have.

I'm with Lou but I carry a tool set for mechanical and another one for electrical and small stuff like clock repair and such.  I do repair electrical appliances if I can and similar things.

Much of what I now carry will be useful if I am aided by others rather than do it yourself as I no longer can for many things.

Luca1369 said:
Duct tape and monel baling wire.

Steve, I thought about listing my specialized tools, such as; Tommy Tape, Super Glue, JB Weld, 5 minute epoxy, mighty Putty, Duct Tape and gorilla glue, but I thought I may need to include my cable ties, hose clamps, binder clips, Dicor caulk, stop leak and single malt scotch, so I decided against mentioning any of that. :D ;D   

Just Lou said:
Steve, I thought about listing my specialized tools, such as; Tommy Tape, Super Glue, JB Weld, 5 minute epoxy, mighty Putty, Duct Tape and gorilla glue, but I thought I may need to include my cable ties, hose clamps, binder clips, Dicor caulk, stop leak and single malt scotch, so I decided against mentioning any of that. :D ;D 

If I were to list my "must have" tools this post would be as full as my four tool boxes.  I also have to agree with you on the Scotch (Glenlivet, 12 year old single malt although I'll take a 20 year old Glenrothes or a 30 year old Highland Park when I can afford them, which is usually never :'().

One that i use all the time is a headband mounted LED flashlight. So many things in an RV are in cramped out of the way places where holding a light and trying to work at the same time are difficult. Having a light that is directed exactly where you are looking is a great help.

Thanks for all the tips. I'm trying to get a good list of things that would be necessary to have in case of. I will pick up the MH next Saturday and finally get it home so I know once I have it here at the house I will spend plenty of time in it thinking of other things that I will need. The dealership said they would be providing with a tool kit when we pick up the coach so I'm not sure what is included yet.

Trailer traveler said:
One that i use all the time is a headband mounted LED flashlight. So many things in an RV are in cramped out of the way places where holding a light and trying to work at the same time are difficult. Having a light that is directed exactly where you are looking is a great help.

Excellant choice. :)

IMO, the most important tools are a valid credit card and an up to date membership in a good emergency road service.

Duct tape, electrical tape, super glue, JB Weld, JB Waterweld, RV Goop - If if moves is broken or leaks use of of these.
WD40, Silicone spray - If it doesn't move of squeaks when it does use of of these.
A yep wrench, aka adjustable - yep it fits

scissors, double sided tape, spray lube, distilled water, screwdrivers, hammer, DVM, small printer/scanner/fax, small 2 way radios, head lamp, misc screws, misc electrical fittings, 12vdc/120vac bulbs, wire, set of drivers (torqx, allen, phillips, std, hex, 1/4, 5/16, ...), few wrenches (metric?), lug socket for toad/MH, 150' air hose, hose washers, windshield repair kit, wiper blades, CC1, CC2, B filter, coax, cell phone, hand cleaner, vacuum, small 12V air compressor, sticky velcro, tow strap, rags...

odie1234 said:
IMO, the most important tools are a valid credit card and an up to date membership in a good emergency road service.

And a darn good cell phone!

mojavesky13 said:
What tools do you make sure you have in your MH before heading out on a trip? Thanks, Josh

Why has no one suggested the most important set of tools?..golf clubs?

The fundamental tools that you?d use to make minor repairs to your car. Something to put water in your coach batteries assuming that they aren?t closed cell. Quality electrical and duct tape. Epoxy glue. Quality truck tire gauge. Hammer and long bladed heavy duty screw driver for getting your tow pin out of the slot if you?re on unleveled ground. Electrical multimeter if you know how to use it. I have a nice set of open end one side and box end the other side wrenches that are extremely handy. Small rubber mallet. Small pry bar. A 6-12 inch level
for accurately getting the rig level. Cordless drill and bits. Safety goggles. Goose neck pliers. Different sized cable ties. Wire cutter. Wire stripper. Small magnifying glass. Inexpensive set of jewelers screwdrivers.

Anything else you can buy when the need arises on the road.

I bought my current motorhome from two gay guys. They never used the RV in the six months they owned it because they couldn't get anything to work right. They told me (with a serious face) that the only tool they know how to use is a hair dryer.

About the only "don't leave home without it" tool is the VOM. Well, other than the aforementioned church key and assorted adult libations, that is.  8)

Seriously, you first need to figure out what you are willing to repair on your own while on the side of a highway or in a campground. For many people, it is relatively few things. I really do believe, however, that an RVer needs to carry and know how to us a VOM (Volt-Ohm Meter)  becasue of the likely need to diagnose an electrical issue of some sort.

If you aren't out for long periods, you can nearly always wait until you get home for a repair, but if you travel for weeks or months, you probably want to do more on the road.

Like Lou, I find that I carry less and less tools as I age - I'm less inclined to make repairs other than emergency stuff. And a cell phone and my Coach-Net card handles the big emergencies pretty well.

So, what do I actually carry these days?

Electrical stuff:  electrical tape, wire ends and butt connectors and a crimping tool, VOM, and a bit of spare wire, and a large assortment of fuses.
General repair stuff: "100 mph" tape, duct tape, wood and general purpose glues, some sandpaper and Scotch synthetic pads, a screw assortment, basic hand tools, 1/4 & 3/8 ratchet sets, and pop rivet tool. I'm an amateur woodworker, so I carry more wood repair stuff than is typical.
Power assists: A Milwaukee compact cordless drill/driver with bits and such and a Milwaukee color inspection camera, the kind with a flexible "snake" head cause I don't bend as well as I use to, nor do I see as well as I used to and RVs are full of nooks and crannys that seem to beckon me.
Spare parts: a fuel filter (cause its a diesel and they are fussy about fuel)

Back
Top Bottom