What are you paying for electric use (where charged separately)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whiteva

For those that stay in campgrounds that charge for electric, can you give me an idea of the monthly charge. Please note the season such as snowbirds in Florida for the winter (heat) or summer (A/C). KWH for the month would also be nice.
Cheers

What you shuold check is the amount per KwH or killowatt hour as the amount used will determin the total cost. Some folks use electricity to heat water and the interior while others only use it for lights and a few appliances. The amount used varies a great deal. Also the electric rates have risen a great deal in the past year or two so past history may not be valid.

An exercise in futility, I think. The rate per KWH varies widely across the country, and folks power consumption also varies a lot (see Kirk's reply). The replies will be anywhere from $50/month to $300.

Questions like this have been asked in the past and the rate varies from 12-21 cents per KWH/month and consumption varies from 100 or so to as much as 1500. Heating and air conditioning are huge consumers, and individual preferences for a comfortable temperature might be anywhere from 68F-78F.

Sure, but an average isn't useful when the variation is so wide. Nor is a median, and probably not a mode either. Sort of like knowing the average age of an American - it doesn't help you guess the age of the next person you will encounter.

If you can get enough data that includes season, region, and some measure of usage, you might gain some insight. Good luck with that!

I think a better question would be to know the average KW charge by campsites/regions, only you know your approximate consumption.

I like my Watchdog surge protector as it gives me an accurate KW usage in real time and cumulative that I can compare with any separate electrical charge, which I've yet to encounter.

I don't think that technically a park can charge more than the utility does per kWh, so it would come down to actual usage plus "fees". Not sure one would find any consistency there.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

To answer your question, we pay 11.9 cents per kWh in Ft Myers FL. About $120 per mo. in the summer (when we had a Journey).

Ernie

I don't think that technically a park can charge more than the utility does per kWh, so it would come down to actual usage plus "fees". Not sure one would find any consistency there.
That's correct - in all 50 states it is illegal to resell electricity at a higher price than you paid for it [unless you are a state-regulated electric utility that is providing a value-added service of some sort]. However, most states allow the addition of modest fees for reading the meter, billing, etc.

Currently it's $0.11 per KwH (NM). The MOST I have ever been charged was $0.14 per KwH (TX) several years ago.

In most states, it is illegal for the campground/rv park to resell electricity as that would, legally, make them a "utility company" and subject to the applicable laws and regulations. In every state I have ever stayed in (FL, GA, NC, NM, SC, TN, TX) it was not legal for cg/rvp's (or any landlord) to charge any extra fee on top of metered electric.

On the site we were on in Virginia, it was 15 cents per kilowatt, or it should be if we ever get back our deposit!

Hello,

When we were at Quartzsite and the Tucson/Benson areas last year we averaged between $80 to $95 per month and we have 30 amp service in our RV. It was cool in those areas and Benson is a higher altitude and was colder. Some was a/c on warm to hot days.

We use two heaters to keep warm and usually run them at 750 kw per hour. At night we might run one heater at 750 kw per hours. We then kick on the LP furnace when we get up.

We also use the RV furnace part of the time so we don't have higher electric bills. We can turn down the heat when in bed as we have a zero degree sleeping bag that keeps us nice and warm without much heating.

Thanks to those that responded with actual amounts. I knew it would be all over the spread sheet but it is valuable info for what was actually charged.
I know laws were written to prevent overcharging, but it is like the speed limit signs, some folks think they are just suggestions until caught speeding. (catch me if you can)

We've paid as high as 22 cents/kwh at a campground between Pueblo and Penrose, CO
Which campground? I have relatives in Penrose and Denver and a couple of friends within driving distance. I've been looking for a campground to spend like a month in that area. I've stayed at Indian Springs Ranch and Lake Pueblo and wasn't real impressed with either of them.

When we had the 27 ft Class C on 30 amp we wintered in Florida and paid just under $75 ish per month in electrical charges. Had a 36 ft 5th wheel on 50 amp and in Az winter paid just over $100. Now in a 40 ft class A and last winter ran anywhere from $110 to $130 in Texas, but it was colder. Expect to pay about that same amounts this winter in Az. All depends on what you power in your rig and where you are.

Which campground? I have relatives in Penrose and Denver and a couple of friends within driving distance. I've been looking for a campground to spend like a month in that area. I've stayed at Indian Springs Ranch and Lake Pueblo and wasn't real impressed with either of them.
Haggard's RV Campground. Nancy; who owns the campground with her husband is great. Lately, been staying there a couple times/yr to visit our youngest and his family.
Only downside to this campground is the water. Harder than hell and lots of iron. Bring drinking water.
There's a campground in Penrose with city water. Haven't stayed there.....

We eventually got our refund from the site we used in Virginia. Ended up using 215Kw, for the month. Total cost was $32.25. Admittedly, we didn't need to use the AC, and only needed heating a few evenings. We did use the electric kettle instead of gas.

Ended up using 215Kw, for the month. Total cost was $32.25. Admittedly, we didn't need to use the AC, and only needed heating a few evenings. We did use the electric kettle instead of gas.
That's about 7 kwh per day. I'm betting you have a residential refrigerator. With one of the 4-door absorption refrigerators, your electric usage would be about double that.

As others have said, asking people how much their electric bills are isn't very helpful. But even asking how many kilowatt hours they use in a month might not be, either, if nothing else because of the huge difference in electricity usage between absorption refrigerators and residential refrigerators, which nobody ever factors in (or probably even knows about).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom