What are you paying to travel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rynegold said:
  The Harley is going because in a random world, you still have probabilities with which to deal. This year I've lost two friends to MC accidents, and yet a third still in rehab. Accidents are statistically on the rise in a big way and at 62 yor. I don't do so well with roadrash as I used to; ditto Traci (my wife; she wrecked her Harley two years back and we didn't replace it). So now we're looking at the idea (and the probabilities) of RV travel. I fully understood before my original post, that this isn't necessarily a cheaper way to travel, my question is having to do more w/budget projections than anything else and your posts have indeed been helpful. I had no idea that gas/diesel mileage was so low. And as noted by pop pop; the longer you stay somewhere, the better.

Well that's arrogant... and just when would you have me ask?? Anyone and everyone wants to know in advance to some degree what an undertaking of this sort costs. Would you sign papers on new house without asking the price? write a blank check to the car dealership and just ask for the keys?  If money is that meaningless to you (meaning 'if your that rich!'), I hire out as a surrogate grandchild for a reasonable fee! ( a grandchild that wants a motor home  of course ;-) Come to think of it though, I may be older than you. :-(

Now for a second vehicle question; there can't be (at least that's what I'm thinking) much difference between towing a second/vehicle, and just driving it along/behind the RV? The odometer will read the same and I assume your expend a lot more fuel towing than not? Of course the main drawback is a lack of company in the RV whils't driving I suppose. We're thinking of a jeep, or; a scooter. Yes, even though I said that about the Harley. Old Radio I love to ride my bike but here where we live it's damn dangerous. My friend (one of two this year) killed in Houston this year was on loop 610 and the woman that ran over him was on drugs w/two small children in the car. She's been charged ( a new thing in Texas) w/ second degree murder. But that does my friend no good of course. I think I might be better off in an RV w/ a small car for my travels in the future.

regards, mitch

Wish ya luck Mitch.
We are in the same boat as you. Rode bikes now well over 50 years, owned Harleys since 1975, and am just now selling the last of them. My wife and I rode together for many years, but time has taken it's toll on reaction time and vision.
I got rid of my dresser a couple of years ago and now selling the wife's Lowrider. Although we've had campers, and one motorhome prior to our latest purchase this January this one will be our last. It's a pusher and I couldn't be more pleased.
As already stated costs will vary in all facets of traveling, but there isn't a better way to go.

Good luck

Corky

Thanks corky! at least I'm not alone.
  Even if you've ridden bikes for decades, here in the US, your still up against speeding truckers, drunks, "texters" and an increase in the speed limit that stack up against you.

So here's a question... for yaw'll that are veteran RV'ers, looking/planning a trip, where do you go for accurate info on RV parks in the areas your planning to stay or visit? I'm a member of, and review quite often for, Tripadvisor. But I find them pretty RV park un-friendly. It's hard to navigate their site for RV parks let alone simple info like season/off season rates and availability.

What do you guys use?

regards, m

Best and most reliable source of information on RV parks is RV Park Reviews. 

But before you read any of the reviews, you need to decide what kind of RVing you want to do.  There are many different "styles" that people on this forum prefer.  For example, some people like to go to a destination like Florida and spent the whole winter, several months, in one place.  They tend to stay at commercial campgrounds with pools and other activities and have full hookups, with WiFi service.  They pay by the month, which is cheaper than by the night. 

On the other hand, a few full-timers like me prefer to be constantly moving and are in travel mode.  I also will be spending the winter in Florida, but a week or two here and there--nearly always in state parks and federal Corps of Engineering campground.  These almost always have electric hookups only, so I have to fill my fresh water and dump my sewer tanks every few days. IN such places, you get a good view most of the time, but you don't get Wifi, free or otherwise.  There are often nature walks and hiking and biking trails, and only a few planned activities.  No pools or hot tubs or bingo.  Also, need to move every 14 days.

Others would not dream of going to a touristy place like Florida and prefer the privacy of the desert or mountains where you can camp way away from others.  No electricity, but if you are lucky, you might find a dump station and water fill a few miles away. Absolutely no pools, hot tubs, cable tv, or WiFi!!  Very cheap living if you don't mind not having a microwave or AC.

So, what kind of an RVer do you see yourself being??  And as you read the RV reviews, you will know to ignore the places that DON'T offer the kinds of things you don't care about.  And you can take the comments with that proverbial grain of salt so that when someone complains about the unfriendly owners or the lack of a pool or how close the next RV is, you can ignore it or take it seriously.

Oh, and some of us "guys" are girls.

I use a little program from Garmin called Base Camp. It's the staring point for me. Once I figure out where I'm going I'll input the destination, and the software will give me all sorts of info for the area. Once I get a a few listings I move the research to Google.

I know there are faster and more efficient methods, but this works for me.

Corky 

rynegold said:
Now for a second vehicle question; there can't be (at least that's what I'm thinking) much difference between towing a second/vehicle, and just driving it along/behind the RV? The odometer will read the same and I assume your expend a lot more fuel towing than not? Of course the main drawback is a lack of company in the RV whils't driving I suppose.

Flat towing a car (all four wheels down) or using a tow dolly (allows more models to be towed and shouldn't add to the odometer) will usually only reduce your mileage by a mile or under per gallon overall. So, after the initial outlay of a tow set up it's cheaper to tow a car behind you.  We have a dolly so we can take either of our cars without the expense of specialized hardware for that model being attached to each car, but as I said above, we prefer taking the bikes in the enclosed trailer.  Note that all cars can't be flat towed and some should not be put on a dolly either. Check with the manufacturer.

I use google for much of the info on camp grounds and what's near. I also use an app Allstays camp and RV.

JudyJB said:
So, what kind of an RVer do you see yourself being??  And as you read the RV reviews, you will know to ignore the places that DON'T offer the kinds of things you don't care about.  And you can take the comments with that proverbial grain of salt so that when someone complains about the unfriendly owners or the lack of a pool or how close the next RV is, you can ignore it or take it seriously.

Oh, and some of us "guys" are girls.

Judy; point well taken. I like the beach best... but I just came back from here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+miracle+mile+in+wyoming&espv=2&biw=871&bih=591&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi3lej_7-zOAhVHzmMKHWroA7oQ_AUICCgD

16 miles of dirt road to get there and we camped in hammocks. I can drink out of a cow track if I have to but, to answer you question; what I really seem to like is (and in this order...) the beach, fishing, warm moist weather, and whisky after 5.

And again thanks to all for the tips and places to research camps.

m

I always laugh when someone writes "If you have to ask......  If I can't afford it I won't buy it.  But how will I know if I don't ask.  Nuff said. 

Actual experience for our last 14 week trek.  Average cost per day fuel $26.71.  That is on a 7,842 miles trip from Los Angeles to Yellowstone and then to Wisconsin and back.  Mileage was a tad over 7 mpg.  But we ran the Genny a lot and that brings the mileage down.  We were also in the mountains for much or our trip and had significant winds in the Dakotas and other areas.  That also has a negative effect on mileage unless it's at your back.  Average cost per day camping $22.64.  Our lowest cost per night at a BLM location near Lone Pine, CA $2.50.  Our highest $53.00 a night in Billings at the KOA.  I'm not even sure why eating out enters the equation.  Personally I don't enjoy eating out.  We go for the most part so the wife doesn't have to cook.  But for me, it makes no sense to include food in the travel budget.  Propane is another cost that you will have it you run appliances that require propane.  The furnace in cold weather, the hot water heater in all kinds of weather, the refrigerator and the stove/oven.  Our cost for the trip about $45.00. 

The time of the year you travel will effect your expense.  Summer is the busiest so rates for camping tend to be higher and most RV parks that give discounts don't during the "high season".  Gas prices also seem to rise in the summer months.  Travel in the North is more since RV Parks don't have a long season to amortize their fixes costs.  Traveling on the coast is expensive because it's on the coast.  Like real estate, location, location,location.   

Planning is key to reducing your costs.  Also knowledge.  Yours will grow as you start reading and experiencing. 

As an aside, sold the motorcycle 6 years ago.  Bought my first when I was 64.  Road it for 3 years and then sold it.  Figured I was lucky since I never laid it down.  No road rash.  ;)  My reason for selling was occasional bouts of dizziness which does not go well with two wheelers.  I miss the bike and still think about having one.  But that's not likely.  Maybe a Trike.  Time will tell.  Just bought a new Jeep and we're still getting up to speed on all that that entails. 

Lot's of good info on this forum and it's a good group.  Ask whatever and don't be shy.  We've all been there and done that. 

But I find them pretty RV park un-friendly. It's hard to navigate their site for RV parks let alone simple info like season/off season rates and availability.

What do you guys use?

I use Allstay's Camp & RV, a nice app that lets you pick state, etc, even pick parks by map, then filter according to types, including STate/Natl park, commercial, KOA, BLM, Forest Service, Walmart and more. It shows number of sites, sizes, amenities, etc., and will even dial the park for you and provide directions on the map.

I forgot about the quetion "towing on 4 wheels" and so on...
I've always towed a car "4 wheels down" behind my motorhomes except for a few years towing with a dolly.
I prefer 4 wheels down, easier to hook up and unhook and not an issue for parking a dolly, but way more expensive since you do need a baseplate installed to each of your toad to tow it 4 wheels down;  a dolly might serve you for years towing any type of toad.
Now to find the different campsites while on a long journey, I use Passport America and Good Sam's book; finding several, I make a double check on the WEB to get more details from them.

My last snowbirding trip lasted ? 6 months, from early november to end of april; we travelled over 16,000 milles in 20 different States and some 5,000 milles in the toad visiting. We were parked for 1 month on 3 occasions and we did visit a lot during those periods.
The cost was ? $13,000. for 180 days, food not included since we do have to eat even staying home; the gas for those 16,000 milles was ? 2,000 gallons + another 175 gallons for the toad, so let's say ? $5,400. at $2.50/gallon; the camping fees were ? $4,800. at an average of $30./nite for short stays or ? $700./month on long stays, including electricity; btw, I don't boondock or park at Wall Mart that often ! So, all adds up and it ain't cheap to RV for sure, but enjoyable.

legrandnormand said:
My opinion is that if one starts asking how much it is costing to travel in a RV before buying one, he'd better change his mind and just forget about it...
I've own a RV for the past 15 years and I've never questioned myself what it cost to travel.

[quote author=legrandnormand]
My last snowbirding trip lasted ? 6 months, from early november to end of april; we travelled over 16,000 milles in 20 different States and some 5,000 milles in the toad visiting. We were parked for 1 month on 3 occasions and we did visit a lot during those periods.
The cost was ? $13,000. for 180 days, food not included since we do have to eat even staying home; the gas for those 16,000 milles was ? 2,000 gallons + another 175 gallons for the toad, so let's say ? $5,400. at $2.50/gallon; the camping fees were ? $4,800. at an average of $30./nite for short stays or ? $700./month on long stays, including electricity; btw, I don't boondock or park at Wall Mart that often ! So, all adds up and it ain't cheap to RV for sure, but enjoyable.[/quote]

Very confusing. So you do monitor costs then.

My observation is the RV parks seem to be priced at roughly 1/3rd the going rate of a decent hotel in the area.  If the going rate at a nearby Holiday Inn express is the typical $100 / night sort of price ... I expect to see the typical RV park prices in that $28 - $32 range.  Head for a popular tourist area where hotel prices are in the $175 - $200 range  ... and RV parks are in the $48 - $60 range.  Hit somewhere where hotel prices are $300 a night (think Florida Keys, resort areas like Destin, etc.) ... and expect to see the nice parks in the area asking for $100 a night.

As far as "paying to travel" in general goes - I've taken to looking at costs on an "average cost per day" basis.  Our two month trip to Florida came in at $150 per day.  Our upcoming trip to Arizona is budgeted at $125 per day.  (The different is primarily due to campground fees in Arizona being significantly less than Florida in the winter).  My "average cost per day" figure covers fuel for the coach, campground fees, groceries, gas for the toad, whatever we spend dining out, household supplies (paper plates, paper towels, etc.), pocket money. Basically any/all money we spend while we're gone.  It also includes costs associated with our Verizon Data plan (I work my day gig from the road - so that needs to be factored in as well).    What's NOT included in my "cost per day" figures are prescription costs, insurance costs for coach and/or toad, major repairs, bigger ticket items bought because of the trip but that will be used in the future (example:  we purchased a new bike rack while preparing for an upcoming trip to AZ), costs associated with maintaining our "sticks & bricks" while we're gone, etc. 

Most of our trips are "out and back" sort of excursions - typically 1-3 months in duration.  As far as spending habits go - we're not approaching our travels as a frugality exercise ... but neither are we in "screw it, we're on vacation!" mode. 

I have never been as comfortable in a hotel room as I am in my RV.  I don?t look at my RV travels as a vacation. I look at it more as an extended adventure exploring the USA. A vacation is flying to Las Vegas for a few days and staying in a hotel. Besides, who stays in a hotel for months at a time?

BinaryBob said:
Very confusing. So you do monitor costs then.

Sure I monitor the costs, I've always managed my budget and the rv is just another expense just like paying my house and the running bills and that's the reason why I bought a RV, I knew I could afford it.  ;)

We full time and recently I've noted mileage. We get 9.1 mpg towing our Rubicon at 65 mph with the diesel generator running full time. It seems that maintenance expenses work out to about $ 0.40 per mile, including all scheduled maintenance and necessary repairs, after the first two years.

I've found that towing makes sbout 0.5 to 0.75 mpg difference in mileage for a Class A motorhome.

Ernie

Ernie, that's seems very high for maintenance.  We're doing about 10,000 miles a year.  Maintenance at $.40 per mile would be $4,000.  We do an oil change every 5,000 miles on the airbus which costs about $100.00 a pop. 

We full-time, have been for a year now....  As for the cost, before we left we figured out a budget. 

Fuel Approximation at $.$$ a gallon based on how many miles driven / to drive
Monthly Food Allowance for 2
Monthly RV Maintenance (If not used, then saved for when needed.)
Monthly Necessities ( such as meds, etc)
Monthly Insurance - including health and vehicle(s)
Monthly Campground Costs (We find it cheaper to camp at National Parks and Corps of Engineer Parks with a Senior Pass)
Monthly Bills, such as RV Payment, Cell Phone, etc
Mail Forwarding Service

Figuring out your cost depends on many variables such as:
Will you stay overnight at a campground $$, or a truck stop (free) as you travel from place to place
Will you mostly eat in, or eat out (eating in is cheaper)
Coach type, tow weight affects gas cost and mileage
What part of the country will you be visiting most?  Costs vary according to locale.

Using RV Park Reviews and Recreation.gov and Google Maps and Google Search helps a lot.  You'll need to locate Walmarts, or other grocery stores to stock up, Laundromats, RV Service, and so on.  You should have a weather app on your cell phone like RadarNow, or Raindar as you will want to keep track of that as you travel.

What works for us, is that we decide on a destination, figure the miles, drive about 200 miles average per day to get there, finding  overnight places to stay along the route based on those 200 miles, and a Walmart to stock food and supplies, and perhaps a laundry, just before we get into our destination.  We'll hang out for 2 weeks to a month and then move on.

There will also be 'start out' costs; those items you need to have before even leaving. :)

So, there's a starter list of considerations to help you figure what -you- might need to pay in order to travel. :)  I hope that helps a bit.

Back
Top Bottom