What Are Your Small Kitchen Appliances of Choice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sam! said:
I am starting to see that if you are in a rv park with hook ups all electric is the way to go.

We have a electric grill for outside and use it all the time. If we're going to be travelling a lot, we'll take a small propane grill.

BinaryBob said:
Everyone seems to have nailed the essentials.
However the most important kitchen gadget has been overlooked - beer bottle opener....... :p

Hmmm... That's a "Small Kitchen Appliance"?  ::) I guess it IS small...

Besides the other items mentioned above, we have an induction cook plate, essentially the one shown here. When we have hookups or run the generator, DW prefers it to the burners on the stove, and it heats things very quickly. Of course it does mean that you must have a steel or iron pan, rather than aluminum or copper.

We have a coffee pot that makes a single cup (decaf for the wife) on one side and 12 cups (for me) on the other. The electric griddle gets the most use for breakfast, bacon, scrapple, eggs, pancakes etc. also great for grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch. Our unit is equipped with an outside kitchen (3 burner propane and frig)so we rarely cook inside and a propane grill attached to the rear end. A microwave, 3 burner stove, and oven inside but as I mentioned rarely used. Toaster used daily. That's it no other small appliances although the Crock pot and blender for smoothies is a great idea.

However the most important kitchen gadget has been overlooked - beer bottle opener

Or a wine bottle opener!  ;)

The crockpot is wonderful for travel days.  I put it on a trivet in one of the kitchen sinks and plug it in so it's ready when we get to our destination.  It's good for many casserole and meat dishes.  I tried sauerkraut and pork but the odor in the closed motorhome was overwhelming and stayed with us for a couple of days so I don't do anything like that anymore!

ArdraF

I started with a stove top/camp fire coffee percolator and a couple of thin steel skillets. Old camping gear left over from the tent era.

I now have a lot of cast iron, mostly Lodge, and a custom made firepit set to hold or hang the various Dutch Ovens and skillets.

I do have an electric toaster now. I found I really missed having toast with my eggs in the morning.

And if I go for more than a short weekend I take my Keurig and a sack full of K-cups.

MN Blue Skies said:
If we're talking kitchen gadgets I think a corkscrew is essential. ;)

Yep, the corkscrew is an invaluable tool, I would hate to go camping without a good bottle of wine.

Depends on where you go and what you like to eat. But here is our list:

crockpot
George Forman
Drip Coffee maker (for boondocking)
electric coffee maker
blender
Small Food chopper
corkscrew
toaster

We carry a 10 cup coffeemaker, crock pot, small mixer, blender, portable induction stove, toaster, and wine and beer openers.  The blender serves us well for both cooking and making frozen drinks when the neighbors stop by.

I really appreciate all the comments on this topic!  I've asked a couple of these sorts of questions so far (this one on appliances and another regarding dishes).  Everybody's responses have been helpful - in some cases because they've mentioned a product that I wasn't familiar with, in other cases - it's been the explanations about why something worked or didn't work for them.  I enjoy when comments are all over the map ... as well as when some clear patterns emerge.  And ... I won't lie, I like it when I realize that my own initial thoughts are reasonably in sync with comments from folks who have more experience with RVing that I do. 

I think that in addition to the stuff that comes with the coach - which in our case includes a Convection / Microwave oven, a 2 burner LP stove top - we're going to try to start off with a coffee maker, crock pot, electric frying pan, maybe a small toaster oven - and a gas grill for outside use.  With the exception of the toaster oven - we use everything on the list on a regular basis.  I'm sure we'll tweak it if we find it necessary.   

We (wife and I) found consensus pretty quickly on the question of appliances.  I think keeping the list of the specialty kitchen toys under control is going to be the tough one.  We tend to play in our kitchen at home (we both like to cook) - so there are a lot of little things tucked up in cupboards that we'll have to weed out.  I'm hoping my wok makes the cut!    ;D

In the "other gadgets" category, we use a lot of lemons and limes so I have handheld squeezers for limes, lemons, and yes even one for oranges.  We use them so much there's also a complete set at home.  They're prevalent right now in grocery store produce sections.

ArdraF

I haven't yet started out on my journey, but I wanted to mention another device you might find interesting.  It's an electric steamer, but a bit more than most people think of in this type of appliance.  Yes, it's expensive - fair warning up front:
http://www.amazon.com/Viante-CUC-30ST-Intellisteam-Separate-Compartments/dp/B00D3F0UB8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429242362&sr=8-1&keywords=viante+steamer

However, as I'm looking for my rig I am making sure this baby will come along with me.  It's probably the most important thing I bought in the last 10 years in terms of keeping myself healthy.  For one or two people it's amazing, especially how you can make a whole meal together even with stuff needing different times.

I live alone and sometimes after a long day cooking just seems like too much.  So I gave in a lot to eating out, or grabbing fast food or junk food from the store. Now I love to be able to load up some fingerling potatoes in one compartment, a chicken breast, and some green beans or asparagus (sometimes both if it's asparagus season - lol).  I program everything in, and hit start.  The compartments delay themselves so that everything is ready at the same time.  So since things like potatoes, corn and root vegetables take so long - I can put everything in and do other things for the next 30 - 40 minutes.

Then I whip up some simple sauces, or some salsa - or even just heat a little butter and spices with some lemon.  Simple, easy - no more excuses.

It's small and compact, and really not hard to clean.  I dump the water every day in mine so that it's never a problem.

Anyway - just wanted to share another option  :D

We downsized from a 3000 s.ft. home with, as you, 25 years worth of kitchen stuff.  I'm also pretty well known for my cooking skills, so... had a LOT of stuff, including  a room in the basement with two extra stoves, and stuffed with appliances and serving dishes..  We're full-time in the RV now - albeit parked for the summer --- so,,, 

RV is equipped with Micro/Convection and 3 burner LP stove and oven.  However, I find that the 3 LP cannot be used at the same time, until / unless I buy some small RV pots.

Here's what I could not live without:
Coffeemaker
Cast Iron - Frying Pan, Griddle, Press and 2 Dutch ovens
Crock Pot
Rice Cooker!
Good Knives - that's a must
Can Openers
Grater
Zester
Silicone Muffin molds
Different sized serving spoons
Selection of stacking storage containers
WeberQ

What I haven't unpacked or have given away
Electric Frying Pan
Blenders
Big Mixer
Vitamix
Dehydrator
Pressure Cooker
Handmixer
Electric Knives
SousVide Wand
every other possible appliance or tool you can think of.  ;)

It's amazing how free it feels...

I see a lot of people mentioning a blender and a mixer.  This is a better choice:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NQE8B0/ref=sr_ph_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ie=UTF8&qid=1435854512&sr=1&keywords=stick+blender

It does the job of a blender, a mixer, and a food processor.  I carry it in my very small 24' class C Winnebago View.  It takes up no room and works great.  Have one for the home kitchen, too.

koski said:
I see a lot of people mentioning a blender and a mixer.  This is a better choice:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NQE8B0/ref=sr_ph_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ie=UTF8&qid=1435854512&sr=1&keywords=stick+blender

It does the job of a blender, a mixer, and a food processor.  I carry it in my very small 24' class C Winnebago View.  It takes up no room and works great.  Have one for the home kitchen, too.

I need to buy another one of those. Had one many years ago, but lost it moving around a few times.

What I loved doing with it was putting skim milk and sweetener in a chilled glass and making whipped dairy dessert.

bghouse said:
I haven't yet started out on my journey, but I wanted to mention another device you might find interesting.  It's an electric steamer, but a bit more than most people think of in this type of appliance.  Yes, it's expensive - fair warning up front:
http://www.amazon.com/Viante-CUC-30ST-Intellisteam-Separate-Compartments/dp/B00D3F0UB8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429242362&sr=8-1&keywords=viante+steamer
My wife looked at that, but ended up getting this instead because it costs less and does more:
http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-Professional-20-Cup-Steamer-Stainless/dp/B009XI4Z10/ref=sr_1_5?s=appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1435885404&sr=1-5&keywords=aroma+rice+cooker

We also take the Cuisinart Griddler which is another multifunctional appliance:
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-GR-4N-5-in-1-Griddler/dp/B002YD99Y4/ref=sr_1_1?s=appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1435885562&sr=1-1&keywords=griddler&pebp=1435885586875&perid=12VB3AW1RAQBZWWF5998

We still want to replace the microwave with a convection microwave like we have at home:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKC2M2C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3R6RESF9BU1V&coliid=I6FUS10WKTC0O

One cup Keurig for coffee-- do carry no electric drip pot when no elect and generator not allowed
Small crock pot
Toaster
Love to use propane oven when not hot outside

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom