What are your top favorite Campgrounds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haven't been too many places since buying the RV. So my list of favorites is really short.

Rivers End on Tybee Island, GA
St. Andrews State Park at Panama City Beach, FL
Swee****er Valley Campground near Villa Rica, GA

TheNewhalls said:
We were in the last pull thru I think the number was 104, but most of the pull-thru sites and sites 56-57-64-65 looked like they would work. There is only water and electric, but there is a dump station. Myakka is a better choice, but 9 miles from I-75 and no WiFi or cell signal unless you go to the concession stand. The pull-thrus and back-ins are huge in Myakka and with full hookups. Lots of room and privacy in Myakka. Oscar Scherer is close to everything and Myakka is far from everything.
Only the Prairie Ridge section at Myakka has full hookups, the other two loops are water and electric as I recall. Our Verizon cell signal was weak in the Ridge loop, but we had no problem making calls or accessing the Internet. I don't think I'd call Myakka "far from everything". The Waffle House in Sarasota is only about 15 minutes away... :)

NY_Dutch said:
Only the Prairie Ridge section at Myakka has full hookups, the other two loops are water and electric as I recall. Our Verizon cell signal was weak in the Ridge loop, but we had no problem making calls or accessing the Internet. I don't think I'd call Myakka "far from everything". The Waffle House in Sarasota is only about 15 minutes away... :)
I forgot about the other two camping areas. Did you do the Canapy Walk?

TheNewhalls said:
I forgot about the other two camping areas. Did you do the Canapy Walk?
Oh yeah, that was fun. We also did the airboat and tram rides. The line was too long at the concession stand though, so we didn't get any gator stew. :(

NY_Dutch said:
Oh yeah, that was fun. We also did the airboat and tram rides. The line was too long at the concession stand though, so we didn't get any gator stew. :(
We'll do the airboat and tram rides next time we're in FL.

TheNewhalls said:
We'll do the airboat and tram rides next time we're in FL.
When people come visit me from out of state one of the first things I do is take them on an airboat ride. I tell them it is the best way to see the real Florida. It always impresses them. Generally you don't see a lot of wildlife on an airboat ride because the noise of the boat tends to scare the wildlife off, but you get to see what the state looked like before men started draining all the swamps.

SeilerBird said:
When people come visit me from out of state one of the first things I do is take them on an airboat ride. I tell them it is the best way to see the real Florida. It always impresses them. Generally you don't see a lot of wildlife on an airboat ride because the noise of the boat tends to scare the wildlife off, but you get to see what the state looked like before men started draining all the swamps.
Every airboat ride we've taken, at least we've seen plenty of gators, Tom. We've also seen numerous deer and wild pigs at times. And many birds of course! :)

This is a starter list and not in order, but have ben back or would definitely go back to all on this list.
Long Beach RV Resort & Campground WA.
Seal Rocks RV Cove OR.
Trailer Village RV Park AZ.
Galveston Island State Park TX.
Isla Blanca Park, South Padre Island, Texas
Mustang Island State Park, Corpus Christi, TX
Fredericksburg RV Park, Texas
Smoky Bear Campground and RV Park, Gatlinburg, TN
Cherry Hill Park, College Park, MD
Wild Duck Campground, 39 Dunstan Landing Rd, Scarborough, ME
Forest Ridge Campground, 40, Flockamoosen Way, Ellsworth, ME
Seaview Campground & Cottages, 16 Norwood Rd, Eastport, ME
Lake Erie State Park, Brocton, NY
I am going looking for more this summer.
Bill

NY_Dutch said:
Every airboat ride we've taken, at least we've seen plenty of gators, Tom. We've also seen numerous deer and wild pigs at times. And many birds of course! :)
Specificially what airboat rides did you ride on to see so much wildlife. I would love to go check them out.

SeilerBird said:

I think you should change that " to see the real Florida before man ruined it with air boats"

Use a canoe or a kayak and get back in where the air boats can't, like the wild and scenic portion of the lower Myakka Lake

Check out our google web site about Myakka it is:    https://sites.google.com/site/flkeyskayaktrips/
Scroll down to you come to the canoe trip for the Lower and scenic Myakka River ----that is the "real Florida"

jack L

SeilerBird said:
Nope man ruined it by draining the swamps and building houses.
agree, airboats  make trails that provide for circulation of water and habitat for wildlife by providing food sources and paths. Like nesting for birds next to food source, bedding areas for fish, gator nests near food supply.

back to Campgrounds

Fort Wilderness, Disney
Fort DeSoto, St Petersburg
Jetty Park, at Port Canaveral
Long Point, near Sebastian Inlet
Long Key, Fl Keys
Steven Foster, in Georgia

What a great thread  ;) I just wish I had some great CG's to add to it  :'( but being the miser I am  :-[ I stick to the parks that are $20.00/nite or less (full hook-ups) and we all know what ya get for $20.00 or less... not worth mentioning.  :-X
Actually I'm a member of Outdoor World, a division of Thousand Trails,  ::) and we have 15 parks scattered from Maine to Florida that I can stay at for up to 3 weeks at a time, ummmm, not free, annual dues are over $ 600.00  :mad: but there are no charges when in the campground... ;D

Keith

Why Ocean Lakes of course!!!  Best two weeks of my year, that's for sure!  Heck, I already got 2017' paid for.  :D

kwbush said:
What a great thread  ;) I just wish I had some great CG's to add to it  :'( but being the miser I am  :-[ I stick to the parks that are $20.00/nite or less (full hook-ups) and we all know what ya get for $20.00 or less... not worth mentioning.  :-X
Hogwash. No one said anything about parks, this is also about campgrounds. There is not one campground in my top ten that costs over $20 per night with my access pass. Most are around ten per night. You don't need full hookups to have a great camping experience.

T. Roosevelt NP ND
Great Basin NP  NV
Capitol Reef NP UT
Sequoia NP CA
Glacer NP MT
We like NP camping but not into heavy tourist areas

SeilerBird said:
Hogwash. No one said anything about parks, this is also about campgrounds. There is not one campground in my top ten that costs over $20 per night (with my access pass). Most are around ten per night. You don't need full hookups to have a great camping experience.

Geesh, did I step on your toe, some other body part or what?
Strictly your opinion and your entitled to it but... ::)

Keith

My list:
Baker Kulshan camp (baker lake) Wa state. free from Labor day until Memorial Day no hook ups, no wifi, no phone service, great fishing, and hiking
Fort George Mead (Wa. DC)  Simply beautiful, in an old grove of oak Trees. full hookups.
NAS Whidbey Island. Brand new and on the Bluff over the beach. full hookups
Conconully State park. Conconully Wa. right in town, and on the lake water & power at the site, and a dump station as you leave.
Hozomene camp North Cascade national park. very remote, bring passports you must go thru Canada to get there, very north end of Ross Lake. Great fishing, but watch lake levels, the lake may or may not be accessible, No Hookups, wifi, or phone you are 40 miles from the nearest town, which ain't much of a town.

Here are a few of ours and not in any particular order.
Colter Bay Grand Teton NP
Fishing Bridge CG Yellowstone, NP
Gros Ventre (Between Jackson Hole and Grand Teton NP)
Catalina State Park. AZ
Deadhorse Ranch State Park, AZ
Bayfield Riverside RV Park, Bayfield, CO
Newport Dunes RV Park, Newport Beach, CA

Ruby Mountain Campground - Colorado
Daisy State Park - Arkansas

These two campgrounds have been the top favorites so far.  We have stayed at others, but not our favorites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamiluu
Back
Top Bottom