What camera is good for back of TT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wilhelm369

We've bought a 22' TT, and I'd like to get a rear view camera for the trailer, without going into several hundreds of bucks. Any recommendations, or warnings?

We've bought a 22' TT, and I'd like to get a rear view camera for the trailer, without going into several hundreds of bucks. Any recommendations, or warnings?
I am researching this myself right now. No recommends so far, but I will say get a system with two cameras, one for the trailer rear and one for the rear of you tow vehicle, if you don't already have one there.

I have been looking also, but this is next on the list after convert to lithium. I like the Haloview line as it has the pieces that I like, but just not in the same package.

I like the monitor that attaches to the TV rear view mirror. This will minimize clutter.

I also like the camera that comes as a unit with a replacement center clearance light. That means no drilling. Just remove existing light and replace it with light/camera unit.

Like I said they don't currently have a package with those components so I guess I would need to buy Ala carte which will probably be more expensive 1000001403.jpg

The only caution I would say is be skeptical of wifi cameras. They are subject to interference and range limitation. 10 feet to the truck tow vehicle and 30+ feet to the back of the trailer is a long way for cheaper systems.

I bought WiFi for the back of my 30 foot class A. It works fine but I did not consider the power source. I ended up running dedicated power from the front of the RV (chassis fuse box) to the rear roof top. I would have easily run the video cable as well...

Most modern vehicles/trucks have a back up camera. It is "dumb" that the makers don't allow the option for the back up camera to be a full time rear view camera. Some may do so but mine doesn't.

A lot to be said for needed a tow vehicle camera and a trailer camera.

I guess I don't understand the reasoning behind a camera for the tow vehicle except 'maybe' to look at the hitch. By the time you see a problem with the hitch, it's probably too late.
My truck has a rear camera. I use it to align the hitch and coupler.

He wants a camera on the back of his travel trailer with the display in the tow vehicle. Amazon has a lot of options, but I've not used any so hopefully someone else has.
Yes, Amazon has options, but good luck figuring out what people think is good. I saw one review of a product which got 5 stars from a woman, she gushed for a couple of sentences about it. Then said she wasn't sure exactly how the product was because someone threw it away before it was used!

I guess I don't understand the reasoning behind a camera for the tow vehicle except 'maybe' to look at the hitch.
When I had my Trailmanor, I picked up a small portable (mag mount) camera for the back of the pickup, but it was mostly good for help in aligning the hitch, not enough view for much else. But when towing a vehicle with a motorhome, the rear view camera is tremendously useful, watching the condition of the toad, seeing traffic to the rear, seeing when you're clear when passing, etc.

We opted for a furion camera for the rear of our 35 foot fifth wheel. Were planning to use one of the cheaper cameras but the technician pointed out that we would have problems with the video quality. Agree with Larry N on benefits. With over 50k miles towing since installed, we have been very satisfied. The Furion is wireless (wifi). display can show 4 additional cameras if desired.

My caution would be to confirm expected performance with actual users of whatever system you plan to buy.

The camera gets power from the fifth-wheel clearance lights.

Last edited:
The only caution I would say is be skeptical of wifi cameras.
That's something I've always heard as well. Spent quite a bit of time looking at various wired options until I was persuaded by a tech, who demonstrated his wifi camera, that wired was not necessary.

Been 4 years since then and the wifi camera we ended up buying has always worked very well at all times on the rear of our coach. Perhaps just lucky...

As far as the view while driving, I'm a mirror guy but it is handy to be able to glance at the camera from time to time just to make sure the tow is still there. :)

Where it's most useful to me is backing into a new site. Even after dark the backup lights on the coach show the site very clearly.

That's something I've always heard as well. Spent quite a bit of time looking at various wired options until I was persuaded by a tech, who demonstrated his wifi camera, that wired was not necessary.

Been 4 years since then and the wifi camera we ended up buying has always worked very well at all times on the rear of our coach. Perhaps just lucky...

As far as the view while driving, I'm a mirror guy but it is handy to be able to glance at the camera from time to time just to make sure the tow is still there. :)

Where it's most useful to me is backing into a new site. Even after dark the backup lights on the coach show the site very clearly.
Can I ask what camera you have?

Can I ask what camera you have?
I bought this camera on Amazon. Has dual cam capability but we never tried connecting the 2nd camera.

I seem to remember NYDutch here saying he has a second camera pointing pretty much straight down at the end of his rig. Good idea and great for backing up with precision, but so far I haven't gotten around to setting that up!

[EDIT}
I wonder if the wifi effectiveness of these newer models has somehow improved over the years making the knocks against wifi less relevant today? No idea...

When I had my Trailmanor, I picked up a small portable (mag mount) camera for the back of the pickup, but it was mostly good for help in aligning the hitch, not enough view for much else. But when towing a vehicle with a motorhome, the rear view camera is tremendously useful, watching the condition of the toad, seeing traffic to the rear, seeing when you're clear when passing, etc.
With a MH I can see your reasoning, the camera is mounted high enough to watch your toad. The OP is pulling a travel trailer.

Little bit different application than the OP has in mind, and is the "several hundreds of bucks" they're trying to avoid spending, but I'll leave my recommendation here for the Haloview BT7.

I had been getting around fine with just mirrors in the last two years we've had the RV. But we wanted to tow a trailer and I absolutely wasn't comfortable doing so without a camera. Installing this camera a couple weeks ago was the best decision with this rig so far. I can easily see plenty of the trailer and whoever is behind in any lane all in the same screen. With the relatively small 5x8 ft trailer, backing up without the camera would have been impossible as it's not visible in the mirrors.

The RV is a 2000 Bounder (32ft), and not at all pre-wired for a camera. I had to tap into a clearance light for power and just decide my own best placement. It actually went pretty smooth. Haloview includes a couple different wiring connections for installation and even just to initially pair the camera and monitor side by side before drilling any holes (wouldn't have been necessary, but is nice peace of mind).

Attachments

• 20240210_142737.jpg
    20240210_142737.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240210_153542.jpg
    20240210_153542.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 3
I tow a 16’ box trailer with the RV, so I know exactly what you need. How to get there has a plethora of different answers, however.
I looked at a bunch of different ideas and decided to go cheap. Two cameras (one for inside the box trailer to keep an eye on the bikes) and one on the back of the trailer for both backing up and diving on the highway (vehicles behind me, changing lanes, etc).
I decided to go with a cheap set off of Amazon, two cameras and monitor for about $200 a couple of years ago.
They work great and if/when they crap out, I have $200 invested…

I use the camera that came with my Garmin n 760 GPS. It's got a long cord I ran from the rear bumper to the front of 5er where the transmitter is attached.

We have the same question with our soon-to-be-delivered travel trailer, also a 22'. It is pre-wired for a Furion camera in the back. We plan to buy a Furion camera with the 7" dash display, both for observation and backing up. It is WiFi on the 2.4 Ghz band which should be fine considering the distance. We'll wait until we get the trailer home next week before we decide.

" ... It is "dumb" that the makers don't allow the option for the back up camera to be a full time rear view camera...."
I agree. I have a Tacoma with a rear view camera that displays in my rear view mirror when I shift into reverse. Do you think it's possible for someone to jury rig a switch to turn it on when needed?

I agree. I have a Tacoma with a rear view camera that displays in my rear view mirror when I shift into reverse. Do you think it's possible for someone to jury rig a switch to turn it on when needed?
I have a 2005 Jeep for towing, removed the original radio and installed a Sony "head unit" as they are now called. On the menu was the choice for backup rear camera. If your "head unit" has that option, the rear camera needs to be rewired slightly, it needs to be powered on full time, not off the back up light circuit. Some back up camera wiring will have another wire at the radio end to feed full time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom