What can I REALLY tow with my half ton????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddmcd

Hi! Completely new to rving and looking to get a TT. We are purchasing a new half ton shortly and want to know what we can REALLY tow safely. Its so confusing with so many different opinions from TT dealerships & car dealerships. The two trucks we are considering are 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT with 5.3 eco tech V8 (salesman says it has a towing capacity of 11200lbs) and a 2015 GMC Denali (allegedly 12000 lbs). The TT we would ideally like has a GVWR of 7700 lbs (2015 Forest River Grey Wolf 26DBH). Is this a safe option or do we need to be looking at lighter TTs? Thanks for the info :)

first, take the inverse of anything the salesman told you, and divide by the time of day.....multiply by the day of the month.....

I think there are some articles in the forum library here that explain how to figure your weights.

But to really know, you have to dig into the actual equipment, what rear end do you have, which engine, etc.... then look in the manual.  Then to really nail it down you need the real weights of the truck as it sits with your stuff in it.....

Once I really got to crunching the numbers for my '06 silverado when i was thinking of upgrading to a large TT from my little popup camper, I was really surprised to learn that my rear world capacity was very low..... in the neighborhood of 6,000# I think.
My silvy has a rear end diff ratio of 3.43:1, which is great for mileage but not so good for towing.
Just because it has the factory tow package, and the brochure says some big number, and even my GVCWR sticker says something else....
once you take away the real weight of my truck with my usual collection of stuff in it it doesn't leave as much as I would have thought

I should add this, after re-reading the post.....

I suggest that you verify the rear end diff ratio, and other equipment, and then look in the owners manual of the truck you are considering.... There will be a chart in there that lists the capacities.....

Consider that you'll have some weight in the truck, that needs to be subtracted form the overall capacity.... weight for family, coolers or bikes that might be placed in the truck........

You'll probably be fine, unless it's equipped like my silvy......

Odds are either of those tow vehicles will do fine - 7700 lbs is normally within the range of most half ton trucks. To be sure, you need to get down to the specifics of the truck, i.e., cab style, engine, transmission, 2WD/4WD, box length, and maybe rear axle gear ratio or a special trailering package option. For example, a 2015 Sierra 1500 with the 5.3L engine can tow anywhere from 6700 lb to 11,200 lbs, depending on the details of the truck configuration.

The salesman is right in that a Sierra with the 5.3L can tow as much as 11,2000 lbs, but not all Sierra 1500's can handle that much. Be sure to ask for the tow rating of the specific one you are considering. In general, it needs the 3.42 or 3.73 rear axle to be rated high enough to handle 7700+ lbs. The 3.73 axle comes with the Max Trailering Package option. None of the ones with a 3.08 axle will be rated high enough for your needs.

You can download the 2015 GMC Trailering Guide HERE and see how the various choices affect tow rating.

If you do a lot of towing out here in the mountain west, do yourself a favor and get a modern 3/4 ton truck.  7700 is within the capacity of some modern half tons, but it's getting into that gray area between 1500-2500.  Too much truck is never a bad thing.  Too little will drive you nuts....6 hours of white knuckling on the highway doesn't make for a good start to what should be a relaxing journey....

robertusa123 said:
1500 come a long way.    They can do what 2500 did years  ago

Might have come a long way in the weight dept. But they still don't have the stability of a 3/4 ton truck and handling for length. I just posted on another 1/2 ton thread about my dual ownership of 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. I can easily tow my 7,000 pound BigTex loaded with firewood with my 1/2 ton truck. But now tow my 8,000 pound Jayco that is 31' long its not safe to do. So its not the weight that is a issue its the pure length of the trailer.

Attachments

• tow team.JPG
    tow team.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 96 and bigtex.JPG
    96 and bigtex.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 22
Start with a tear drop trailer and work up, or trade in the 1/2 ton for a hd semi truck and work down from the biggest 5th wheel you can find and a small car you can cradle on the back of the semi. (see rvhaulers.ca for the "really" "excellent" way to tow...A semi-truck is designed for an 80,000lb (combined) load to be pulled continuously across the country.)

"Really" is one of those words that is very useful for doing whatever you want to do. Commonly used for those owners who simply ignore the weight rating limitations, knowing that the ratings also include some safety reserve. If you fail to make it down the mountain, having gone into the ditch, you have identified a "really" "true" limit. If you have an accident, the lawyers and insurance agents, will also help you identify a "really" "for real" limit.

A lot of people buy a trailer, and wished they had bought something bigger.  If you can afford it, buy a truck that could haul a bit more, you won't have to buy another truck if you trade up.  You won't be sorry. JMO

A 1/2 ton truck is not just a 1/2 ton truck.  Customers demand that they ride great, handle great, brake well, handle well--and they want them to tow extremely heavy loads.  It's just not possible to be everything for everyone, and most 1/2 ton trucks have the springs of an old Ford Crown Victoria.

Very few 1/2 ton trucks are equipped with manufacturers' heaviest duty suspension and camper packages.  They must be secial ordered in most cases.

For 2015, the new model F150 with the maximum suspension package will handle much more hitch weight/pin weight of any other manufacturer--that approaching a 3/4 ton truck.  The package is approaching $2K in total costs, however.  You'll also want the 3.5 Ecoboost engine, which is expensive in its own right.  GMC/Chevy and Dodge are close in weight capabilities--far below Ford.  I've not looked at Toyota specs., however. 

When you add a crew cab and 4x4 options, weight carrying capability goes down and down--due to the weight of those options.

I would seriously compare prices on a gas V-8 3/4 ton truck vs. the heaviest duty 1/2 ton trucks.  There may not be much, if any, price differences, and the 3/4 ton suspensions and brakes are far stronger than that on 1/2 ton trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom