What can I tow with my truck? Modifications necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, year model does seem to play a big role in determining the differences.

After doing some forum searching I found several very interesting threads on this topic. This is the best one I've found thus far.

Given that beefier springs, shocks & blocks only serve to level your loaded vehicle & can easily be upgraded, what's more important -IMO- to look at for towing capacity are axle strength, tires & brakes.
2010 SRW F-350 gets: 1.50 Spline Minor Dia. (in.), 1.57 Spline Major Dia. (in.), 37 No. of Splines (Hub End)
2010 SRW F-250 gets: 1.36 Spline Minor Dia. (in.), 1.50 Spline Major Dia. (in.), 35 No. of Splines (Hub End)

Payload & towing capacity shouldn't significantly increase here. Ford might argue that there is a significant increase. Anyone got the numbers?

And according to this thread: "F-250 has vacuume brakes and the F-350 has hydroboost brakes."[sic]

My truck is a 7.3 as well, but it's a 1993 pre-turbo.  If it helps you to know, I full time in a '03 Hitchhiker that is approaching 16,000 lbs. loaded and the truck has no problem whatsoever pulling it.  Not going to break any land speed records up a hill without a turbo, but it WILL get to the top.  Also, the rear shocks only compress about an inch and a half under the pin and that's including a full 150 gallon diesel tank, and two full 27 gallon (100#) propane cylinders in the bed that are with me any time I travel.

jdq1986 said:
My truck is a 7.3 as well, but it's a 1993 pre-turbo.  If it helps you to know, I full time in a '03 Hitchhiker that is approaching 16,000 lbs. loaded and the truck has no problem whatsoever pulling it.  Not going to break any land speed records up a hill without a turbo, but it WILL get to the top.  Also, the rear shocks only compress about an inch and a half under the pin and that's including a full 150 gallon diesel tank, and two full 27 gallon (100#) propane cylinders in the bed that are with me any time I travel.
Wow, that's pretty impressive. Is it SRW or a dually? How's breaking performance?
Got any pics :)

It's SRW. My profile pic is of my truck and trailer. Brake works good, never had any issue getting stopped in a hurry if need be.

Just realized you can't enlarge the profile picture (or at least I couldn't figure out how).  Sorry for the poor lighting.

Attachments

• IMG_146670881833978.jpeg
    IMG_146670881833978.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom