What can you tell us about Texas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wendy said:
Sorry, guys, I wasn't insulting the Alamo, I was saying that there are 4 other historic missions in San Antonio that I found MUCH more interesting than the Alamo.
Wendy,
We had a superb docent  making comments about the Alamo when we vistied. She spoke as if we were there, equally  fascinating.  Bottom line, if you are in the area to  visit the Alamo , you need to take the extra time to  enjoy the missions in the area as well.

Betty
Are you listening Linda S? 

I don't know if you are interested in "art museums" but if you are... there are several in Ft. Worth that are world class and attract lots of attention.  The Kendall (I think I spelled it correctly) is one of the more famous for its modern art.  Dallas has some too.  It could be several days to see the big ones.

If you read books by Larry McMurtry... or like movies based on his writing... "the last Picture Show"; Lonesome Dove; etc then you might want to visit "his town" NW of Ft. Worth.  He has collected about 2 million books and stores them in buildings surrounding a county court house that used to be "the hardware store", "the grocery store", "the general store", etc.  Plus all of his books are there, plus many first editions, plus many manuscripts of famous books.  We spent a day there and could have spent many more.

The museums at the Univ of Texas in Austin are worth a look as well.

BTW: I would never live in Tx for lots of reasons but if the spring weather is wet in Big Bend, there will be wild flowers like you have never, ever seen before... especially not in Barstow.  If there is little or no rain (normally), it is an interesting place to visit but a long, long drive from anywhere else.  We stopped there on a wet year on the way to Copper Canyon in Mx.  The whole trip was amazing.  No matter what you do, I'd avoid El Paso these days... which kinda rules BB out.

BTW#2: Our neighbor has children living in Marfa, Tx.  I've never been there, except to pass through (quickly), but according to her, Marfa is another "center for avaunt guard art."  Many NYC artists have places there and visit often... for some reason that eludes me but what do I know.

BTW#3: There is a semi famous canyon near Lubbock ... I think it is called Palo Duro Canyon.  Anyway, it is a Tx landmark and famous for providing refuge for many outlaws and Apaches/Commanches/and others during the 1800's.  Now it is a refuge for wildlife and tourists.  Watch out for flooding in the low spots of the Highways out there.

Long Live Lone Star beer in long necks... although Shiner Bock is selling better these days.  Have fun.

Marsha/CA said:
Sheltie,

<slapping my forehead>  I relied on the spellchecker to "catch" me.  It didn't even flinch, so I thought I was "doin good"..... ::)
Oh my...<hanging my head>

Don't mean any offense to your state.  You'll get a good chuckle when I tell you that I love Nebraska.  What can I say, I'm warped.  Must be from too much time in the sun out here in California.

Marsha~

No offense taken as I enjoyed your comments.  I looked everywhere on this site for my spell checker until, just before giving up and sending off the post, I discovered it next to "preview" and "post".  A snake hunter, I'm not.

"BTW#3: There is a semi famous canyon near Lubbock ... I think it is called Palo Duro Canyon."

This is actually just south of Amarillo and often called the Grand Canyon of TX. The CG had a flock of unwild wild turkeys always close by at cocktail hour.

rhmahoney said:
"BTW#3: There is a semi famous canyon near Lubbock ... I think it is called Palo Duro Canyon."

This is actually just south of Amarillo and often called the Grand Canyon of TX. The CG had a flock of unwild wild turkeys always close by at cocktail hour.

Sorry, I shoulda looked at a map first before I wrote that but, once I get into west Tx, everything is so spread out and the highways are so smooth, what's a few hundred miles one way or the other, LOL?  Lubbock, Amarillo, Dalhart, Plainview, they are all in the "panhandle" ... and seems like they are all at least a day's drive or more from anywhere.  But PD Canyon is definitely closer to Amarillo than Lubbock, now that I look at a map.  Thanks for the correction.

Are they everywhere in the state, or is there someplace special we should go to see them?

Ladybird Johnson loved wildflowers and you will see them everywhere as a tribute to her perseverance in beautifying America.  The last time we drove through Texas on I-10 the bluebonnets were ablaze in the freeway median.

Looking forward to seeing you.  It's drizzling off and on here in Q.

ArdraF

Marsha/CA said:
Since you are from California like me, you may be surprised to know that you probably have already seen Bluebonnets.  Texans call "our" Lupine Bluebonnets.  Here is the link for a better explanation.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluebonnet

THANKS! This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for.  We saw tons of gorgeous lupine in AK, but your site really educated me.  Apparently, the Texans think theirs is the deepest, most beautiful blue.  So, the Alaska vs. Texas Wars have a score of 1-1, maybe, with AK winning the size contest and

Not to dissuade you, but we were not that thrilled with Big Bend.  It looks a lot like Barstow......

We've go through Barstow 2 or 3 times a year.  We'll pass on BB.

See you in QZ, we will be getting there on Wednesday morning. 

I'm looking forward to seeing you so I can thank you personally for all your help. 

One more item....I've seen where some people go back and forth like I have here, but one writer's words are in one color and the replier's words are in white.  Can you teach me how to do that?

Linda

taoshum said:
I don't know if you are interested in "art museums" but if you are... there are several in Ft. Worth that are world class and attract lots of attention.  The Kendall (I think I spelled it correctly) is one of the more famous for its modern art.  Dallas has some too.

Thanks.  The Kendall is new to me.

Linda

rhmahoney said:

Palo Duro was on my list, but can you give me the name of the CG?  I'd love to be visited by a flock of unwild wild turkey, and I bet Sherlock would find it really fascinating!

Linda

Linda, the campground at Palo Duro is in the canyon itself.  We'll be happy to discuss various places to see in TX when we see you later this week at QZ.

Linda:

A personal request:  would you please post a travelog of your travels beginning in February?  I loved your Alaska trip journal and would love to "go with you" again.  I know it's a great effort, but it is very much appreciated by all of us "used to travel" or "soon to travel" RV Forum members. 

Margi

Marsha/CA said:
Linda,
We are also coming in on Wednesday AM.
Marsha~

Hope you have your 4WD working, could be muddy if the Weather Channel is correct... 4" of new snow here and 4 ft in the Sierras.  Incredible.

taoshum said:
Hope you have your 4WD working, could be muddy if the Weather Channel is correct... 4" of new snow here and 4 ft in the Sierras.  Incredible.
Where are you located that you got 4" of new snow?

TIA,

R

Taoshum,

We are parked in Palm Springs visiting with our youngest son and have been watching the weather really closely.  Some stretches of Highway 10 can get nasty with strong winds, which is our biggest concern.  Good to hear from the people actually in Quartzsite that it's not sloppy with mud.  However I didn't think it would be; the desert usually can get lots of rain and 10 minutes after the rainstorm is over, it's dry again.

Doing laundry and heading to QZ tomorrow.

Marsha~

A personal request:  would you please post a travelog of your travels beginning in February?  I loved your Alaska trip journal and would love to "go with you" again.  I know it's a great effort, but it is very much appreciated by all of us "used to travel" or "soon to travel" RV Forum members. 

Margi, you are so kind and really made my day, as well as my decision.  I was so disappointed when I looked on the Forum and didn't find a log for TX.  Betty's and Jeff's Alaska logs were so helpful, and I got lots of ideas from others, too.  So, when I didn't find one, I started a discussion with myself.  Yes, lots of time and effort and a duty to perform each day vs. helping others who will make a trip to this area and the WONDERFUL responses and suggestions.  I was still mulling it over when I got your reply.

I felt a little homesick and disconnected when we were gone up North for so long, even though we had the time of our lives.  The RVForum friends' comments gave me a "friend link" that I looked forward to each day, and that memory also encourages me to write a TX log.  I have recruited my partner in logging, Dean, to do the pictures again and help me with computer issues.  We are tentatively thinking we'll have a first post around Feb. 20.

Linda

That's a wonderful decision, Linda!  For whatever small part I may have played in nudging you on, I'm grateful.  I promise you will really love the Quartzsite rally.  Whatever inconvenience boondocking might cause, the company of those attending can't be beat. 

I am a very reluctant boondocker, so I'll share a trick someone passed on me to years ago.  Flush the dishwater down the black tank.  It fills slower than the grey.  There!  The extent of my boondocking knowledge.  ;)

Looking forward to your travel log.

Margi

Tom and Margi said:
Flush the dishwater down the black tank.  It fills slower than the grey.  There!  The extent of my boondocking knowledge.  ;)

All depends Margi, all depends :)  Some of us are just the opposite.

I can't say too much about the state of Texas because we only visited Fort Worth for a Nascar Race and some touring for one week.  Well I am not sure who posted it but it is true they actually pull over if they think they are slowing you down.  We have never been treated so well in all of our travels, I didn't know if it's because we were saying "aye" and they knew we were from Canada but I am not exagerrating when I say that it seemed like they just rolled out the red carpet for us everywhere we went.  We stayed at 3 different hotels in a week because we wanted to do certain things in certain spots and not knowing the area prior to going I booked close to the 3 locations we wanted to be in.  The one hotel they remembered our names and greeted us at the door upon us entering by name, this was a full size hotel that was directly across from the Nascar track and we felt so special, the second hotel the cleaner/shuttle driver heard us talking about where we were headed and said oh leave your cars here I will take you wherever you want to go, then asked us what time our flights were and because they were so early the next am told us to take the car back that night and he would pick us up and then the next morning they would give us a taxi chit to get back to the airport...We haven't stopped talking about Texas and can't wait to go back.  Shelti you come from a great state.

Wendy said:
All depends Margi, all depends :)  Some of us are just the opposite.

I bow to your superior knowledge.  :D :D :D  I'm not an avid boondocker.  Terry tried .....  ;)

Margi

Back
Top Bottom