What chassis - 2005 Winnebago Itasca Sunrise 33v Workhorse? Need right shock absorbers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mgoodin08

HI all- another rookie question from this rookie RV owner. WE bought a 2005 Winnebago Itasca Sunrise 33v motorhome last year. So far so good but along with many other upgrades it sure needs new shock absorbers as far as I can tell. So I need to know the specific chassis it sits on and I've searched the ol' internet and user's guide and just can't find the right info to take to the parts shop.

It is a Chevy Custom Workhorse drivetrain but I don't know what CHASSIS it is.

Got underneath and took picks of the old Bilstein shocks and part number but that didn't help out at Napa auto parts. I would prefer to go with Koni Golds as well.

Many thanks to anyone who can pin down the info for me.

Workhorse Custom Chassis began in 1999. As Chevrolet decided to get out of the RV chassis business, Workhorse took over those operations, beginning with converting the Chevy P30 Step Van/RV chassis into a similar Workhorse version called the P32. Navistar bought the company in 2005 and they closed it's operations in 2012. Your 2005 motorhome is probably one built by the original Workhorse but you should be able to be sure by checking the VIN number.

If it has coil springs in front it's a P32. If it's a solid axle in front it's a W20, W22 or W24. The VIN will reveal all. UltraRV's site will do VIN verification, and their Koni FSD's are on sale right now. I have them on all four corners.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Mark, there are also a few rare P series chassis motorhomes with solid beam style front suspension built around 1998-99 (I think only a couple of hundred were built this way just before Chevrolet sold their motorhome chassis division to Workhorse)

Workhorse Custom Chassis began in 1999. As Chevrolet decided to get out of the RV chassis business, Workhorse took over those operations, beginning with converting the Chevy P30 Step Van/RV chassis into a similar Workhorse version called the P32. Navistar bought the company in 2005 and they closed it's operations in 2012. Your 2005 motorhome is probably one built by the original Workhorse but you should be able to be sure by checking the VIN number.
Good to know- thank you.

If it has coil springs in front it's a P32. If it's a solid axle in front it's a W20, W22 or W24. The VIN will reveal all. UltraRV's site will do VIN verification, and their Koni FSD's are on sale right now. I have them on all four corners.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Great, thanks!

Thanks everyone- I was able to I.D. the chassis. More importantly got under there and got the part numbers from the old shocks and I.D.'d the correct part number for the Koni Golds and they are on their way. :)

I had been exploring new shocks for my F53 chassis 2006 Itasca Sunova for some time. My MH had Bilstein shocks with 50K miles. They looked old and the ride across a transition bridge joint and other cracks in the pavement was often harsh, yet a smooth ride on a flat road, During my examination of the Bilstein's, a lot more aftermarket products were discovered like a Kelderman suspension system, trac bars, etc. Research of the Kelderman Kit showed it used Monroe shocks, so Monroe Magnums 557001 were purchased and installed. Immediately the ride and steering were better. Monroe is a softer shock but works in conjunction with the airbag at approx. 40-60 psi. However, the Monroe might be too soft without an air ride system even though the 557001 is what Monroe suggests for my year/make chassis.

The removed Bilstein's still had a somewhat hard compression but an extremely slow rebound. Bilstein and Koni's are designed to hold the tires to the pavement. Many think those shocks are best and maybe they are. Know what chassis and suspension system is on your coach. Do your research to make the best possible decision. Don't believe in a one-size-fits-all all.

Will update after a 2000k mile trip early next month.

I had been exploring new shocks for my F53 chassis 2006 Itasca Sunova for some time. My MH had Bilstein shocks with 50K miles. They looked old and the ride across a transition bridge joint and other cracks in the pavement was often harsh, yet a smooth ride on a flat road, During my examination of the Bilstein's, a lot more aftermarket products were discovered like a Kelderman suspension system, trac bars, etc. Research of the Kelderman Kit showed it used Monroe shocks, so Monroe Magnums 557001 were purchased and installed. Immediately the ride and steering were better. Monroe is a softer shock but works in conjunction with the airbag at approx. 40-60 psi. However, the Monroe might be too soft without an air ride system even though the 557001 is what Monroe suggests for my year/make chassis.

The removed Bilstein's still had a somewhat hard compression but an extremely slow rebound. Bilstein and Koni's are designed to hold the tires to the pavement. Many think those shocks are best and maybe they are. Know what chassis and suspension system is on your coach. Do your research to make the best possible decision. Don't believe in a one-size-fits-all all.

Will update after a 2000k mile trip early next month.
Thanks for the info. Quite honestly the main reason I'm going with Koni Golds are because the guy who did my brakes and who will install the shocks (I'm VERY nervous whenever I get under that huge thing! I don't mind paying someone else to do it right and safely!) pretty much said "I'll install Koni Golds for you but that's it. You get the parts bring 'em in and we'll install them." I have to imagine that in the end Bilsteins and Monroes are fairly comparable to the Konis but maybe I'm wrong.

Konis are actually a lot easier to install as they are dual acting shocks, meaning they try to stay in the position you put them, while most other major brands are single acting and try to expand with a hundred plus pounds of force all the time. Having said that I have Koni FSD shocks I installed on my coach in 2017 and they are great, certainly far better than the Bilsteins with 75,000 miles worth of use that were on it.

Konis are actually a lot easier to install as they are dual acting shocks, meaning they try to stay in the position you put them, while most other major brands are single acting and try to expand with a hundred plus pounds of force all the time. Having said that I have Koni FSD shocks I installed on my coach in 2017 and they are great, certainly far better than the Bilsteins with 75,000 miles worth of use that were on it.
Huh- good to know. Yes I seem to remember having to fight against the shocks when I installed some KYB's on my ol Dodge Dart many years ago.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom