What chassis - 2005 Winnebago Itasca Sunrise 33v Workhorse? Need right shock absorbers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had been exploring new shocks for my F53 chassis 2006 Itasca Sunova for some time. My MH had Bilstein shocks with 50K miles. They looked old and the ride across a transition bridge joint and other cracks in the pavement was often harsh, yet a smooth ride on a flat road, During my examination of the Bilstein's, a lot more aftermarket products were discovered like a Kelderman suspension system, trac bars, etc. Research of the Kelderman Kit showed it used Monroe shocks, so Monroe Magnums 557001 were purchased and installed. Immediately the ride and steering were better. Monroe is a softer shock but works in conjunction with the airbag at approx. 40-60 psi. However, the Monroe might be too soft without an air ride system even though the 557001 is what Monroe suggests for my year/make chassis.

The removed Bilstein's still had a somewhat hard compression but an extremely slow rebound. Bilstein and Koni's are designed to hold the tires to the pavement. Many think those shocks are best and maybe they are. Know what chassis and suspension system is on your coach. Do your research to make the best possible decision. Don't believe in a one-size-fits-all all.

Will update after a 2000k mile trip early next month.
Update: Monroe Magnum shocks provided the ride we wanted. Much better ride on interstate 10 Louisiana to Mobile which should be the testing ground for any suspension system. Worked great with the Kelderman air ride system at 40-45 psi. Going to install magnums on the rear. Our MH has about everything else front and rear to control sway, wag, etc. No problem with 18 wheelers. Did well with a 15-20 mph crosswind. Recommend the Monroe Magnums. They were introduced in 2018 for heavy commercial vehicles, buses, and motorhomes. Be watchful of the date for all other Reviews because most gave Monroe a bad rap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom