What do I need to Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my advice - hire a guide!

They should have a boat and the proper gear as well as the local knowledge as to how where and when. Major discouraging catching nothing and after a few trips with guides you will know what and how and where.

If you're totally new to fishing, I would suggest a spincast combo, such as a Zebco 33 or a Johnson Century. Combos come with a rod and reel, the reel is pre-spooled with line, and usually in Walmart you can find these combos which include bobbers, hooks, and sinkers; perhaps even a few artificial baits. Easiest reels to cast out there, and a great place to start with minimal investment. Many, many books are written on the subject, but keep it simple at first with a hook, bobber, and simple bait like worms/nightcrawlers. As to eating your catch, you can usually find someone to help you with that at most any campground, cleaning fish and cooking them is a much more involved art than the actual catching of the fish. Best of luck, and never forget, the main thing is to have fun!!

Here ya go...

https://www.amazon.com/Ronco-PF100100GENB-Pocket-Fisherman/dp/B000HDKOHY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499655661&sr=8-1&keywords=pocket+fisherman

All ya need, +  License

Couldn't resist. 8)

Growing up in the Catskill Mountains I lived close to stream that was stocked with a variety of trout.  After many attempts at fly fishing that never led to catching fist I prevailed on Fred, one local old-timer, to teach me the secrets of fly fishing.  He told me that there was nothing to it if I learned 2 key tips.

He went to get the collection of flies he had tied with 50 or more flies on it. Then he went to his screen door and compared this flies to the variety of bugs that were currently sitting on the screen doors.  This seemed like a thoroughly good idea until he picked out 3 flies that had no resemblance to anything on that screen door, nor could he explain at all why he thought they looked similar.

Next we walked 100 yards to the trout stream that was near his home.  There he revealed the other key to fly fishing.  He told me that one could not just toss the fly into the water since the trout would see that as totally unnatural. Instead he said it was necessary to cast the fly to a rock way on the other side of the stream that was at best 18" wide.  He cast his fly to that rock perfectly 3X in a row after which a great big trout jumped out of the water and swallowed that fly. Fred reeled that trout in and tossed it immediately back into the water and said, "You see, there really isn't anything to fly fishing."

That is the very day I gave up fishing.  Of course if you are really into fishing, no problem.  I am, however, much more into catching.

I don't consider myself a fisherman as much as I consider myself a feeder of fish. Growing up in Florida we used cane poles. Caught many a pan fish on a cane pole. I used to cut a healthy length of fishing line, grab a hook and bobber and head out the woods behind our house on my dirt bike. I would find a deep enough stream and catch me some black grasshoppers and fish for what we called stump knockers. Bring a stringer full home for grandma to cook.

Now we have to have all matter of fancy fishing equipment. Not so much to better our chances of catching fish but to impress all the other folks out there fishing.

I have fished in almost every State we have lived in or visited, which is nearly all of them. Lived in King Salmon, Alaska and caught a butt load of salmon. Lived in the Umpqua National Forest and fished in the same places as Zane Grey fished. I now live in Delaware and take our grandkids fishing. Doesn't matter if we catch anything. It's a great way to get them outdoors and away from the TV and computer.

Fishing is supposed to be fun. But if you go fishing with the expectation that you will catch fish, you will not have any fun.

Can you really catch fish with fake Bait/lures?  I have tried ever and ever and never gotten even a nibble.  Live Worms work but i hate putting them on the hook.    I know I'm not a real fisherman    I just like to play around with it    But I would like an answer to the fake bait question. Thx.

I am completely an amateur angler. I started fishing because I like being on the water in a canoe, and fishing is a good excuse. When I troll, I use a fish-looking lure, size dependent on water. I also use rooster tails for trout fishing from shore. Since a lot of places I like to fish don't allow live bait, I sometimes tip them with a plastic worm or add a glob of trout bait. I am totally a spin cast angler; fly fishing requires more practice than I am willing to do.

Peggyy said:
Can you really catch fish with fake Bait/lures?  I have tried ever and ever and never gotten even a nibble.  Live Worms work but i hate putting them on the hook.    I know I'm not a real fisherman    I just like to play around with it    But I would like an answer to the fake bait question. Thx.

I've heard folks say fish are smart and to catch them you have to outsmart them. Fish are not smart. Proof is, I have caught fish, hence they cannot be that smart. Other proof that fish aren't smart is you can catch them on fake bait. Many anglers use spinner baits, rubber worms, and the such. Most of the time I fish we go in the backyard, roll some logs over and collect the worms. If I am taking the grandkids to the lake we normally use cane poles with a hook, sinker and bobber. If we are going to the beach to fish we use a surf pole and reel with something like minnows ( if lucky we can catch minnows with a throw net) or squid. The other day we caught a small shark and a sea turtle. In order to keep the sharks they cannot have teeth. I don't like catching the turtles, I'm afraid I will hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom