What do you carry in your rig that you never use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SargeW said:
A set of emergency road side reflective triangles. I have carried them in every RV I have owned since 2006. Still in the box, still like brand new. I hope I will never need them. But now I am afraid to take them out, as I don't want to upset the RV gods..........

I had the same thing and this past fall, I had a flat tire driving home from FL and I used the triangles because I was so close to the edge of the road and there was a lot of traffic. I think 'll keep them.

After we got on the road and I was putting stuff away, I found a suture removal kit. So odd, I threw it away because I would just go to the dr if (when?) anyone needs stitches.

SargeW said:
A set of emergency road side reflective triangles. I have carried them in every RV I have owned since 2006. Still in the box, still like brand new. I hope I will never need them. But now I am afraid to take them out, as I don't want to upset the RV gods..........

A requirement in Pennsylvania:

Except for a truck registered as a Class I or Class II, every truck, truck tractor or bus, and every motor vehicle towing a trailer shall carry three portable emergency warning devices of a type specified in ?  167.3 (relating to types of warning devices), which are consistent with 49 CFR 393.95 (relating to emergency equipment on all power units).

RVMommaTo6 said:
After we got on the road and I was putting stuff away, I found a suture removal kit. So odd, I threw it away because I would just go to the dr if (when?) anyone needs stitches.

Amanda, you should have kept it. You said you would go to a doctor if anyone needed stitches. Do you want to hang around for a week or so to have them removed by the same doctor?  You could do it with that removal kit.
:eek: ::) :-[ :-\ ;D :D ;)

Kind of need to do monthly excess checks.  Carried a metal detector around for likely 10 years and never used.  Random guy asked if anywhere in town rented them, sold it to him.  One down....

I have a nice vise mounted on a 2" stinger to plug into the hitch receiver.  Before I set it up, I needed a vise a number of times, since owning it, not once.  Do I let it go?  Do I keep another 40 lb hard to store item?

There are some items that are nice to keep if you have a place to store, outside of the coach, the bedspread/shams.  Nice to have, but you don't use them on the bed when traveling, at least we don't, we have a nice quilt.  Would be nice to put on when selling, but the buyer would then have to figure out where to store it.

Today, my task is repacking tool bay, yesterday bought a bigger toolbox (old was just too small), get things organized and sell off the old one.  Going to use a lot of discretion when loading new one, stuff I recognize as not being used/useful will not make the cut.

How about extendable snow brushes?  Hope I don't need it, however, there are times... 

Tire chains. They are sitting in a rusty heap in the bed and have never been used. I just KNOW what will happen if I take them out. A snow brush is mandatory.

Well, my tool box reorg went mostly OK, I bought an awesome box at Harbor Freight, massive, too massive, when I put it on the rollout tray the tray would no longer roll.  I got a friend to help me put it back in the car, bought a nice Channel Lock case, not as big, but not as heavy.  Turns out the other one was 150 lbs!  The new one is maybe 40.  However, I think I messed up the rollers a little, no longer moves as easily.  Project for another day.  I did manage to create a nicely organized box for most stuff, have a tote for things like buffers, jig saws etc.

Tossed a lot of loose screws, screws I will be looking for and having to buy in the next 3 months, I am sure!

Next up, going thru other bays again, we have done an initial purge, but need another sorting.  Maybe 3 more sorting.

Rene T said:
Amanda, you should have kept it. You said you would go to a doctor if anyone needed stitches. Do you want to hang around for a week or so to have them removed by the same doctor?  You could do it with that removal kit.
:eek: ::) :-[ :-\ ;D :D ;)
I have scissors that would work just as well! And who needs stitches when you have gorilla glue?!

I generally go through the coach in early October and again in March and toss stuff that I haven't used in a year.  Exceptions to this are spare parts and tools(former professional mechanic and tool hoarder here).
Things on the chopping block this year include the electric leaf blower my bro-in-law gave me, the growlers I collected from various breweries along the way, and a step made out of plywood that we used at a camp host job 3 years ago(and not since).

RVMommaTo6 said:

Following hurricane Michael I managed to slip with a chain saw (not Running) cutting my leg quite deeply. At that time we had no hospitals up and running & I had no superglue handy so I broke out monofilament fishing line and a needle. 5 stitches later my bride came into the MH and screamed... Too late I was finished and it looked fine to me. Word spread about my DIY stitches through the family... Long story short my Grandson (the fire dept Capt & EMT) gave me several suture kits for Christmas. I should also say that my background as a volunteer EMT so I kinda had some training. However my daughter (RN), wife, and grandson were quite vocal about not doing that again. I removed the stitches later with no infection and small scar.

Now I keep superglue and suture kit in MH just in case.

Cheers

What I carry in my MH that I haven't used..........yet!
18.5" Mossberg 12 ga. shotgun, Beretta 22LR Pistol, S&W K38 revolver, Ruger LCP 380 pistol and S&W K22 revolver.
All my friends duck when I turn around?

Back
Top Bottom