What drive train?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldwildman

Hi! I've been reading through a lot of this and found some great info. My girlfriend and I are going to be buying a class a probably late next year. Doing some window shopping to see what's available in our price range. I'm a semi retired contractor and very handy with most things including basic mechanical. We're hoping that will help with getting a used one. We plan on one extended coast to coast tour and then snowbirding in FL in Jan and Feb. 2k round trip for that. Probably at least one fairly local vacation mid summer just to keep things loosened up in the unit. Not a huge amount of mileage but still a fair amount.

My first question (of many to come! LOL) is what drive train would be best for our budget/needs. We are thinking a 35-40 foot with opposing slides. Hoping to stay at or under 100k. I understand diesel is best but not sure it will fit into our budget. We are planning on towing either an Accord or Civic on a dolly. Looks like it will just make it under the 5k lb weight. Is a gas engine doable? Or am we just going to put too much of a strain on it? If gas is an option, what drivetrains to put at the top of the list and what to put on the bottom?

We're already planning on a certified inspection. If that doesn't cover a full mechanical inspection, we'll be getting that too.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forums! Lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here.

You’re not going to have a lot of choice as far as gas engines go. As of late, the Ford V8 is pretty much all that is being produced in RVs. Before that, the Ford V10. Go back a little older and the GM Vortec 8.1 V8 was in production along with the Ford V10.
All three of those are pretty comparable (imo). There are other power plants available if you go older, but at your price point, those three are probably going to be about it.

Our first coach was a 38’ gasser with the Vortec. 38’ is about as big a gasser as you’ll find. We flat towed a couple of different toads and took her across the Rockies a couple of times. We were a bit overweight, but she always got us where we pointed her. I think you’ll be a lot happier with a diesel pusher and I think you can find some nice ones at your price point.

We are thinking a 35-40 foot with opposing slides.
Anything much over 35-36 feet is likely to be diesel, but you can get a newer gasoline rig for the same price as an older diesel. For the long trip the diesel will have distinct advantages, in ride, range and, often, in onboard amenities as well. For the snow-birding a trailer of some sort would possibly be better, but there are always tradeoffs in any case.

So after the long trip, a gasoline rig might offer a bit more economy, but diesel will still be viable. So most any chassis will work fine for you, within your budget. My thought is that whatever offers the best onboard living conditions for you -- a floor plan that you like best -- is probably best long term choice.

We are thinking a 35-40 foot with opposing slides. Hoping to stay at or under 100k.
With a budget of $100k maximum, you will be looking at significantly older diesels then gas-powered and most gas-powered coaches are under the 40' length. The highest GVWR from Ford is 26k which will be needed for the larger, opposed slide coaches but diesel coaches may have far more. You won't find many gas coaches that are much over 35' long. You need to keep weights in mind as you look since the two of you will be adding significant additional weight and so carrying capacity is something to be aware of.

You won't have any problem towing those cars or carrying your goodies with a gas-chassis coach. Even one in the 35-37 foot range. You need to be thinking diesel if you want to get to a 40 ft coach or tow full size SUV or pickup, but otherwise it's an option.

Diesel pushers (DP) have both advantages and extra costs, but your budget will let you get an older high-end model, e.g. a 2010 or earlier model. Don't let your car-trained shopping sense carry over to RVs - very little is applicable despite the superficial similarity. An RV is first & foremost a house and that's where you need to focus your attention. Both for working condition and your personal comfort. Condition & state of maintenance is they key, not age. Both house & chassis.

As others have mentioned, most brands of coach will have the same or very similar chassis. Whether gas or diesel. It's best if the chassis specs are generously sized vs the size of the coach, which is why I suggest looking at the higher end brand/model rigs. RV builders meet lower price points (entry level) by skimping on things that are "under the covers" and the chassis wheelbase and cargo capacity is one of the places to cut costs. In the house part, they skimp on cabinetry, upholstery & flooring quality, and also wiring & plumbing.

Ok, so it seems like I might be in the diesel category. Looking online lately it seems like I might be in the 15-20 year old range. Are there any problems with the older units finding parts/mechanics? A lot of the coach stuff I can probably handle myself. But diesel engines are out of my experience. Owned one work truck with one quite a few years ago. Only had to work on the peripherals for the most part. Only had to send it to a local mechanic once in 12 years of almost daily use. But I do remember a little difficulty with parts.

Ok, so it seems like I might be in the diesel category. Looking online lately it seems like I might be in the 15-20 year old range. Are there any problems with the older units finding parts/mechanics? A lot of the coach stuff I can probably handle myself. But diesel engines are out of my experience. Owned one work truck with one quite a few years ago. Only had to work on the peripherals for the most part. Only had to send it to a local mechanic once in 12 years of almost daily use. But I do remember a little difficulty with parts.
First it's Powertrain, second, I'm in that other camp that says a 35-40' gas chassis rig with a V-10 is on it's overloads at it's GVWR and way over towing another 5K. If you're okay @ ~30-32' towing 5K in a gas perhaps, but were I looking to be doing a lot of traveling even a 15 or 20 year old DP would be preferable to nurse maiding an overloaded 6-7 year old gas chassis that rides like a chuckwagon around the country.
If I set my 32' gasser V-10 on cruise at 50 mph with no tow, about 1/4 way up an IH 20 overpass in flat as a fritter E. Texas it will go into defcon 5 while people passing will be pointing at there smartphones mouthing 911.

Last edited:
Ok, so it seems like I might be in the diesel category. Looking online lately it seems like I might be in the 15-20 year old range.

So as you work your way through this decision a lot will come into question. I didn't raise this question because your premise is to buy a 35-ish class A.

But 99% of us are budget limited and you state $100k or less.

At this point I would re-examine the intended use which you state is a few months per year for a couple rather than full timing for example.

I would at least take a look at trailers and maybe class C coaches. A travel trailer can be around 5 feet shorter and still offer around the same interior due to no driver station. The tow vehicle becomes the runaround vehicle and because it has no motor and running chassis can be a lot cheaper to maintain.

With a $100k budget an extremely nice setup can be had that is a lot newer and will have a lot fewer doubts about reliability and condition of the drivetrain. Take it from a guy who has a 30 year old rig. There is a ton to be had in newer equipment.

Sorry if this confuses things for you so ignore it if your mind is resolved to a DP.

Your use should help dictate your choice... I don't drive very long... Usually not over 3-4 hours from home, so my drive train requirements aren't as exacting as some one traveling across the USA.. I would love a diesel, but could get a much newer, and in better condition gas coach for the same $$.. I flat tow, but my TOAD only weighs about 2,100#s so that really isn't a factor...
Butch

You are at the borderline where you could go either way.

You probably aren't gonna tear down an engine,whether gas or diesel, and changing a starter, alternator or drive belt isn't any different on one vs the other. But the peripheral components used on medium & heavy truck diesels aren't quite as common as car & pickup parts, so there is some concern. Ditto for air suspension & brake components, even though they are the same as is used on big trucks of the same era. However, be aware that gas motorhome chassis also use some components that are more robust versions than similar ones in cars of pickups. Most all gas class A chassis of the last 15 years are the Ford F53 and Ford has an excellent national parts network, but even they cannot stock every part for ever.

Routine diesel maintenance isn't technically challenging. Oil changes, air filters, coolant, etc is the same sort of thing as a gas rig, just bigger and more expensive. Air system stuff like dryers ride height valves will be new to you, but simple enough stuff.

So as you work your way through this decision a lot will come into question. I didn't raise this question because your premise is to buy a 35-ish class A.

But 99% of us are budget limited and you state $100k or less.

At this point I would re-examine the intended use which you state is a few months per year for a couple rather than full timing for example.

I would at least take a look at trailers and maybe class C coaches. A travel trailer can be around 5 feet shorter and still offer around the same interior due to no driver station. The tow vehicle becomes the runaround vehicle and because it has no motor and running chassis can be a lot cheaper to maintain.

With a $100k budget an extremely nice setup can be had that is a lot newer and will have a lot fewer doubts about reliability and condition of the drivetrain. Take it from a guy who has a 30 year old rig. There is a ton to be had in newer equipment.

Sorry if this confuses things for you so ignore it if your mind is resolved to a DP.
My original plan before my girlfriend showed up a few years ago was a smaller one. However, during relationship negotiations, she balked at the RV plan. So, we went RV shopping. The only ones she didn't turn her nose up at were the class a's with opposing slides. So, in the interest of self preservation, that's what we're going with. :)

First it's Powertrain, second, I'm in that other camp that says a 35-40' gas chassis rig with a V-10 is on it's overloads at it's GVWR and way over towing another 5K. If you're okay @ ~30-32' towing 5K in a gas perhaps, but were I looking to be doing a lot of traveling even a 15 or 20 year old DP would be preferable to nurse maiding an overloaded 6-7 year old gas chassis that rides like a chuckwagon around the country.
If I set my 32' gasser V-10 on cruise at 50 mph with no tow, about 1/4 way up an IH 20 overpass in flat as a fritter E. Texas it will go into defcon 5 while people passing will be pointing at there smartphones mouthing 911.
Powertrain? Got it! I know I'm going to be learning a whole new vocabulary in the next few years... :)

My original plan before my girlfriend showed up a few years ago was a smaller one. However, during relationship negotiations, she balked at the RV plan. So, we went RV shopping. The only ones she didn't turn her nose up at were the class a's with opposing slides. So, in the interest of self preservation, that's what we're going with. :)

Ahhh - got it. I am surprised we haven't already chimed in but you've already figured out that floorplan probably trumps drivetrain in the RV hunt.

The only ones she didn't turn her nose up at were the class a's with opposing slides.
Yep, if I'm going to be stuck in a smaller than usual space with someone for a couple of months at a time,
Keep in mind that there are people who just do not like RV living in any RV. Even the largest RV's have less than 400 square feet of living space.
I'm in that other camp that says a 35-40' gas chassis rig with a V-10 is on it's overloads at it's GVWR and way over towing another 5K.
I can assure you that the Ford V-10 is capable of handling a 36' coach and towing as long as you get the higher GVWR chassis and can accept that you will climb steep grades somewhat more slowly that the bigger diesel pushers. We lived fulltime for 12 years in one and we took it pretty much everywhere. We didn't win races, but we got there and with less initial cost. But you won't find any motorhomes much longer than ours that are on the gas chassis.

I can assure you, according to the three basic laws of motion, the gas engine from a VW Bus will get a 36' class A coach moving regardless what the gvwr happens to be, it will eventually get you there, it will be cheaper and it won't be fun. I can also assure you the towing capacity is determined based on the powertrain/drivetrain capabilty and the chassis is designed accordingly, the notion otherwise is a post hoc fallacy, ie., after this therefore in consequence of this or as in "I wore blue socks today and it rained, therefore it rained because I wore blue socks".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom