What foods you carry that are easy to keep and convenient to use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We carry a lot of the trader joes Indian food in foil pouch. No refrigeration needed Lots of variety, very healthy, also sold on amazon. Make our own rice. We also carry refried beans in a pouch, no refrigeration till opened. Along with tortillas, shredded cheese and salsa, you have quick quesadillas add bbq chicken for a meal. When we travel we try to time our arrival for visits to  local farmers markets, where you can get pretty much everything you would need, baked goods, fruit, veg, organic everything, free range eggs, Home made tamales etc.
Ok now I?m hungry?

About 5 or 6 weeks worth of home-cooked meals frozen in Rubbermaid,Tupperware, or casserole dishes, in the freezer (small chest freezer) ready for quick, nearly effortless, good meals. The DW prepares a large meal at home, and freezes the leftovers for our next trip.

We recently returned from a 6 week trip, eat out very seldom, and brought frozen meals back home!

As a plus, if you find a food (that can be frozen) not available ( gulf coast seafood, andouille sausage, fresh catfish, etc.) at your home location....you can load-up and bring it back home with you!

Peggyy said:
Also, we like the dry noodles you find near the soup section. Just add water and microwave.  Delicious.

Great idea Peggy! Also helps less amount of bulky cans take up space and weight. Excellent!

darsben said:
I guess I must not of phrased the question properly.
Kudos to those who cook gourmet meals on the road.
I was looking for others who have found things that last a long time sans refrigearation so that a lot may be taken on the road for long term boondocking etc.
So if we are on the beach for a couple of weeks we do not have to run to the store for milk etc

Well, there?s always Twinkies and their happy crowd of goodies; they?ll last and be delicious forever. But you?re probably looking for things with more nutritional value, so how about cans of tuna?  They are small, long-lived and loaded with protein.  And Spam. Who doesn?t love Spam?  I?m pretty sure it?s a staple food in Hawaii. 

Also, nowadays you can buy things like milk in tetra packs that do not have to be refrigerated until they?re opened if you don?t feel like messing with the powdered.

Chameleonxanth said:
Well, there?s always Twinkies and their happy crowd of goodies; they?ll last and be delicious forever. But you?re probably looking for things with more nutritional value, so how about cans of tuna?  They are small, long-lived and loaded with protein.  And Spam. Who doesn?t love Spam?  I?m pretty sure it?s a staple food in Hawaii. 

Also, nowadays you can buy things like milk in tetra packs that do not have to be refrigerated until they?re opened if you don?t feel like messing with the powdered.

Mmmmm Spam!

Peggyy said:
We actually do use spam.  Love it cut in small cubes and fried up with frozen hashbrown potatoes!  Yum

Spam. The most versatile food in the solar system. Plus Twinkies.

Peggyy said:
We actually do use spam.  Love it cut in small cubes and fried up with frozen hashbrown potatoes!  Yum

That sounds delicious; maybe with some eggs on the side. 

The last time I was shopping I noticed that Spam comes now in different varieties, e.g., black pepper, with bacon, hickory smoke, hot and spicy, etc.

When we retired 19 years ago and went full time, Raymonda [wife] informed me that toast was now a hot meal.  She later met a woman that had a TV cook show, think it was called Pioneer Woman out of Oklahoma, Raymonda told the Pioneer Woman about toast being a hot meal  and the lady said it was also a square meal and they had a good laugh.  Through the years they met up 4 times and each time had a good laugh about toast being a hot square meal.

Bill Dane
99 Country Coach

llib enad said:
When we retired 19 years ago and went full time, Raymonda [wife] informed me that toast was now a hot meal.  She later met a woman that had a TV cook show, think it was called Pioneer Woman out of Oklahoma, Raymonda told the Pioneer Woman about toast being a hot meal  and the lady said it was also a square meal and they had a good laugh.  Through the years they met up 4 times and each time had a good laugh about toast being a hot square meal.

Bill Dane
99 Country Coach

Cute story.  :)

We got hooked on spam during a 4 year tour (military) in Hawaii. One can feeds us both a meal. Breakfast samiches are Spam, fried egg and thin sliced spam. (my small mandolin slicer will slice extra thin) Traveling Lunch can be Fried spam strips, in a tortilla with leftover rice and beans, warmed up on he dashboard, yum.  A quick, light dinner can be Spam strips in ramin noodles, nuked.

I haven't found a "new" flavor I don't like yet and it's a nice change from our crock pot, fry baby and oven baked casserole, normal fare.

Chocolate Premiere Protein drinks. Always have envelopes of cooked  chicken to add to canned soups to for extra protein. I really like that you can buy milk, whole, fat free even almond milk in small individual non refrigerated cartons.

llib enad said:
each time had a good laugh about toast being a hot square meal.

My mom used to make this for us and I recall my dad mentioning that it was called s*+% on a shingle.

Haven?t had it for 50 years, I?ll have to make it one of these days for old times? sake

SOS is a staple in our house. ;D ;D 

Couple of eggs and it is a hard to beat breakfast.

First time I saw it was USMCRD Boot Camp, first breakfast and it looked so much like something a dog upchucked I emptied my stomach just looking at it.  DI's were not happy with me.

Tom Hoffman said:
it looked so much like something a dog upchucked I emptied my stomach just looking at it.

Mmmm ya, really motivated to make it now  ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrown666
Back
Top Bottom