What has changed over the last few decades?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oranjoose

What is the history of major changes in design and trends of trailers and fifth wheels across the last few decades since 1980?

Materials? Frame design? Electrical? Interior? Has it always been for the better?

LED lighting, motorized awnings, stabilizers and tongue jack, rear view television, cable TV connection are some.

All good things, but all that can also screw up and are difficult to trouble shoot

Jack L

Oranjoose said:
What is the history of major changes in design and trends of trailers and fifth wheels across the last few decades since 1980?

Materials? Frame design? Electrical? Interior? Has it always been for the better?

Almost everything has gotten worse, as manufacturers look for the cheapest labor, materials and suppliers.  Yes, some will point to the bells and whistles now installed.

I don't think much has changed as far as infrastructure goes. Maybe the flexible-pipe plumbing systems are different/better? Plastics and fake wood trim (both still common in many RVs) might be higher quality and less prone to fading/cracking, but that's a complete guess.

Otherwise, exterior and interior designs are what make up most differences. Slides make a big difference for interior feel, as Seiler mentioned. Most newer motorhomes have bigger wheels/tires and higher weight capacities as a result, compared to those from the 80s. Trailers are larger and lighter on average, but that's because they're built with cheaper/lighter materials. Otherwise new models have more creature comforts, like power awnings, LED lighting, outdoor kitchens, etc. that aren't really needed but a sign of the modern times.

Aside from some of those superficial feature upgrades, a well-kept RV from after 2000 (like my 2008 trailer) is very similar to something brand new. Manufacturers haven't really figured out any newer/better ways to build them. We plan to upgrade to a 5th wheel sometime in the next few years, and I'll probably be looking at 2010-2015 models. Whatever I have cash saved for, that meets our needs. No reason to pay the premium for newer, that I'm just going to lose in depreciation the first year that I own it.

Looking back to the 80's and early 90's, there have been numerous improvements. Since around 2000 it has been more evolutionary, with the improvements moving from high end models toward the mid and low end.  Besides the predominance of slides, I'd say that construction has moved toward metal frames instead of wood and superior roofing materials, e.g. TPO, fiberglass or PVC instead of EPDM rubber and tin (yes, I really mean tin rather than aluminum). For motorhomes, vastly improved gas chassis became available for all classes, A, B, & C, providing more capacity and much improved handling & performance.

Quite a few high end accessories or features have become fairly common or even fairly standard on low & mid range units. Full body paint is an obvious one - almost de rigueur now.  Multi-stage chargers are standard in most models and inverters have become common as electronics prices have fallen, Awnings (window and patio) are mostly standard and window and door awnings popular add-ons.  Auto-transfer power switches are near-standard. DSI ignition on furnaces, fridges and water heaters replaced pilot lights around 1990. TVs became near-standard instead of an add-on and screen sizes grew by leaps and bounds. Satellite tv also got common.

Everything has changed we built ( my dad was the plant manager)Scamper and Skipper inthe 70s nothing is the same the basic construction is the same a frame on  chassis - but thats it electonics eerywhere automated features leveling systems computer boards for everything. Everything is lighter less durable

A lot of the changes are definitely NOT for the better.  For instance, motorized awnings, intrigrated heat/cool thermostats for starters.  RVs in general are poorly built from the start and adding all these new fangled electeonics can add more frustration to what can already be a frustrating experience.  Besides making them nearly impossible for the average weekend handy man to fix when they break.  No thanks take me back to the mid 2000s for decent quality, ease of repairs.

donn said:
A lot of the changes are definitely NOT for the better.  For instance, motorized awnings, intrigrated heat/cool thermostats for starters.  RVs in general are poorly built from the start and adding all these new fangled electeonics can add more frustration to what can already be a frustrating experience.  Besides making them nearly impossible for the average weekend handy man to fix when they break.  No thanks take me back to the mid 2000s for decent quality, ease of repairs.

I have to agrree with Donn in an effort to make the rv experience more enjoyable they are less reliable to much fancy crap

Thanks for the great conversation. If I'm gathering correctly, it sounds like much of the materials and "standards" used in building these things are largely unchanged since the 80's, and it's mostly electronics and entertainment amenities that have found their way in. Weren't aluminum frames introduced during the last few decades?

Many RVs start3d building on Aluminum frames. Many low to mid priced switxhed over the last 20 or so years.  Aluminum is not necessairly better or worse than wood.  Ot all dependw on who and how it wqs pit together.  Same with the corrogated metal vs smooth.  Each has ita lovers and detractors.

A lot of things became more common at the mid and low end in the past decade or two, but there isn't all that much that is actually new technology.

The RVIA safety standards are improved but mostly in under-the-covers details. RV industry standard items like appliances, a/c, water systems, etc, are incrementally improved but mostly unchanged in basic design. A furnace or water heater in 2020 isn't all that much different than the same item from 1990.

Mostly what has happened is that things got bigger and fancier and the features that used to be top-of-the-line have moved down range. You see more metal structure, more fiberglass walls,  fancier paint or decal schemes, bigger water tanks, etc.  And a lot more electric and electronic stuff cause America loves toys.

the big difference between the tin wall or corrugated walls and the smooth bonded walls is-  the tin walls get beat to hell in a hail storm the bonded smooth walls are a lot tougher and were not available in the 70s

Right, but the 70's was 50 years ago whereas the question was "last few decades", which I read as no earlier than 1990 (3 decades ago).  The changes since about 1995 are nearly all evolutionary, though I'll grant that the sum total of them over 25+ years adds up to quite a bit.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Right, but the 70's was 50 years ago whereas the question was "last few decades", which I read as no earlier than 1990 (3 decades ago).  The changes since about 1995 are nearly all evolutionary, though I'll grant that the sum total of them over 25+ years adds up to quite a bit.

shhhhh that makes me old lol

My folks had a 26 ft. Airstream when I was growing up. Prior to that a “Nimrod” style tent/trailer. Now have a 38 ft. Toyhauler. Amenities have grown by leaps and bounds. Increased size, storage via slide outs probably the biggest change. Doesn’t matter what you’re in, what does matter is you’re out there!

Some of the comments here sound remarkedly like the "I wish they still built em like thay used to!". Thank God they don't! I heve owned Motor Homes built in the three most recent decades and each was superior in features to the preceeding one.

Not to suggest that the MH industry doesn't build to the market; it does and the result is generally deficient. Some days I wish the Japanese would introduce a motorhome and cure our builders problems as they did for our automobile industry. But, I suspect we wouldn't buy them because they are not a critical asset like cars.

Ernie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holtt
Back
Top Bottom