What is happening to our society?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In response to John, I think a lot of what you said is valid, however not the whole story. I stop for accidents because people may be hurt. I do not stop for broken down cars because I assume they have a cell phone and can get their own assistance. I do have to be careful because I'm a female, a small one, and can't put myself in harms way out of stupidity. So in the past I have seen a car on the side of the road, stopped a distance away without turning my car off, went and bought a can of gas and dropped it off 100 feet down the road. It might sound paranoid, but I couldn't just leave them there and at the same time I watch crime tv lol, so that's a happy medium to me. I would never pick up a hitch hiker, I think that's too dangerous. However I have many many times picked people up to give them rides. For example, there was a man walking his 5 year old daughter to school, I didn't know them but I passed them every day. One day it was raining and they had about a half mile left to go, so I offered and gave a ride. Another time there was a girl walking to work with a broken foot, I pulled over and begged her to let me drive her. I think that's totally different than picking up a hitch hiker.

You are looking at it all wrong. You should be happy that no one robbed her or raped her!!!

That's why it scares me to think of what would happen if we were ever attacked by our enemies. When we entered WWII, the country banded together for a singular purpose - to defeat the enemy and have peace in the world again. Women who never worked a day of their lives outside the house went to work in factories building airplanes and manufacturing ammunition. Men enlisted to fight and those who couldn't helped the war effort at home by working in a field that would support the military. Everyone pitched in. Everyone knew there would be rationing of food, gas and other important supplies for the war, and they did what they had to do to ensure our country's survival. And they proved to the world that we were the greatest country on the face of the earth.

Would that happen today?
Yes!

Many states now have what are called Good Samaratian laws. Many of those laws are 40 or more  years old so this has been happening for some time.  The law is designed to protect someone who helps someone who has fallen down and can not get up or is otherwise injured.

We have additional laws protecting Emergency Response folks provided they are not negligent in their duties. (And still they get sued).

And finally we have the old "Accident" scam where an accident of some kind is staged and when you stop to help YOU become the victim.  Makes it hard for those of us who like to help others.

The result is.. Well the original post.

lynnmor said:
Say WHAT?

I will always stop to help, it ain't all about me.

That's fine for you. A former co-worker of mine was sued, and the municipality turned their back to him. Fortunately, he prevailed in court and was only out $50K in lawyers fees.

With the wacky legal system we enjoy in this country (not a political statement, just the sad truth), it could just as easily gone the other way. A personal umbrella policy, which I do have, will only go so far when you're facing a multi-million dollar judgment.

HappyWanderer said:
That's fine for you.

No, it is not fine for me because the easy road is to just ignore my fellow man.  What is fine is doing the right thing and feeling good about ones self. 

I'm a Vietnam Era Veteran and I guarantee I will render assistance when I can and worry about the repercussions later! Now if there is emergency personnel there, i will let them handle it! Military people are trained to leave no one behind! Just my two cents!

These days most everyone has a cell phone with them at all times.

IF you do not feel comfortable stopping and giving aid to someone in distress.. 9-1-1 will send help.

THat said. Will said help arrive in time.. I've lost more than one. so have several of my co-workers (Our phone number was 9-1-1) Because we could not get help there in time.

?I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint".
(Hesiod, 8th century BC)

"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."
(From a sermon preached by Peter the Hermit in A.D. 1274)

I have a friend who was camped at a public lands campground on a reservoir a few weeks ago. His truck camper and truck were struck by lightning. Thankfully he was not injured but his truck was fried. Not one other camper came over to check on him to see if he was ok. One person did tell him later he saw when his truck was hit and it looked like a ball of flames. But even that person didn?t check on him. I was dumbfounded.

John Stephens said:
Addressing Bill's original point, this is more than just living in a litigious society. Yes, that is part of the problem with no one wanting to lend a hand anymore, but it's also an indictment on society as a whole and how people have changed to think only of themselves and not care or be considerate to those around them.
Thanks John - that is what I was trying to point out; however, I am glad the thread has turned into other areas such as Good Samaritan laws and such.

John Stephens said:
That's why it scares me to think of what would happen if we were ever attacked by our enemies. 
The country briefly came together immediately after 9-11 but that didn't last very long and the flags disappeared from windows faster than they went up.  To be absolutely frank, with the current divisions in this country, I am not even sure that a direct attack from a foreign power would be enough to bring us back together again.  How many would be saying we deserved whatever it was and stand by and watch.  More than I would care to guess.

John Stephens said:
And that is why Bill's wife got no help from anyone passing by. Everyone figured someone else would do it, if the thought even crossed their minds. There is no civility in society anymore and very little chivalry. That is why my wife and I chose to spend our retirement in an RV, because it seems there are still a few people that like to RV that are cut from the old mold and believe in helping others out when they need help. Those who do so are a dying breed.

I wish now that we were young enough to spend the remainder of our retirement in an RV as a full timer. Regrettably, we are past that point but I agree that RV communities sure seem to have more of an atmosphere of inclusiveness than my own sticks and bricks neighborhood.

Bill

I will add only one thought concerning litigation for liability.  You can't get blood out of a turnip and that is what they would be trying with me.  I even stopped today to see if a motorist outside of Branson needed help as his van was on the side of the road and there was a tire laying next to the car and two guys were just looking at it.  There was not really much I could do physically being as I carry an oxygen bottle around but I thought they may have needed a phone or a tool that I might have.  Turned out they didn't need anything and were just taking a short break in the 90 degree heat but that thanked me so much for stopping.  I was the only person who had stopped.

Bill

UTTransplant said:
?I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint".
(Hesiod, 8th century BC)

"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."

And the beat goes on le de da de dee

Bill N said:
There was not really much I could do physically being as I carry an oxygen bottle around but I thought they may have needed a phone or a tool that I might have. 

Reminds me of a young lady ran out of gas about 50 yards short of the station.. I pulled off on a side street, parked, walked iup and pushed her through to the pump so she could fill up.

Now the car behind here was a Taxi with Police style push bumpers (Many taxi's used to be the other kind of taxi. the one that takes you to jail).

I had a broken left wrist at the time...  And I was the only one who helped.

That.. would have been in teh 1970's  Everybody else was honking horns.. Oh well.

John From Detroit said:
Reminds me of a young lady ran out of gas about 50 yards short of the station.. I pulled off on a side street, parked, walked iup and pushed her through to the pump so she could fill up.

Now the car behind here was a Taxi with Police style push bumpers (Many taxi's used to be the other kind of taxi. the one that takes you to jail).

I had a broken left wrist at the time...  And I was the only one who helped.

That.. would have been in teh 1970's  Everybody else was honking horns.. Oh well.

Thetmust have been during the 70's "gas crisis"

A few years back, I was driving home from town right after a really big snow storm. I passed an elderly gentleman standing in snow up to his waist on the un-plowed sidewalk. I drove about half a mile up the road, and thought to myself, " I wonder if the old fellow was alright". I turned around, and drove back. He was still standing in the same spot. He was panting, and breathing very hard. I had a snow shovel in the back of my truck, so I starting digging a trail down the sidewalk to him. Turns out he had walked to the store to get some things, and didnt realize the sidewalk was only partially plowed on his side of the road. He thought he could make it through, but had became exhausted in the deep snow. After I dug my way into him, he was still too exhausted to carry on. I put him on my back, and carried him the two houses away where he had came from. I went back and got his bag of groceries, and returned to the house with the bag. They were very thankful. I felt great for doing my good deed for the day. Not all society has no conscience. Just a good percentage.

UTTransplant said:
(Hesiod, 8th century BC)

From 2 Timothy chap 3:
But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2  For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3  having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4  betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride

Problem is, most localities have judges that Used to be practicing attorneys/ lawyers. Appointed or elected to the bench, they rule accordingly. Having worked as an investigator for a P.I.G.  firm, its ALL about the money the firm can/ may make. Sat in many initial consultations with prospective clients. Afterwards when they left, first words from the attorney's mouths was" how much can We make on this Case?". Not about helping the injured or correcting a wrong. Didn't stay there very long, had already retired." As for helping someone that seems to need it, would call someone for them if they don't have a phone. Can do such without getting out of vehicle( most times). Situation determines what I would do.

muskoka guy said:
A few years back, I was driving home from town right after a really big snow storm. I passed an elderly gentleman standing in snow up to his waist on the un-plowed sidewalk. I drove about half a mile up the road, and thought to myself, " I wonder if the old fellow was alright". I turned around, and drove back. He was still standing in the same spot. He was panting, and breathing very hard. I had a snow shovel in the back of my truck, so I starting digging a trail down the sidewalk to him. Turns out he had walked to the store to get some things, and didnt realize the sidewalk was only partially plowed on his side of the road. He thought he could make it through, but had became exhausted in the deep snow. After I dug my way into him, he was still too exhausted to carry on. I put him on my back, and carried him the two houses away where he had came from. I went back and got his bag of groceries, and returned to the house with the bag. They were very thankful. I felt great for doing my good deed for the day. Not all society has no conscience. Just a good percentage.

you saved that old man's life...  thank you for being a good human.

It does seem like the world is so much different than it was when we were younger, but part of that (and a large part indeed) is that we tend to romanticize the past, remembering good things with much more clarity than those that might have been bad, or at least 'not good'. It isn't something that is exclusive to today, as the quotes from centuries ago indicate; if, however, it is something that we can't see or at least recognize to some degree, then it will continue to be an ongoing complaint.

Having said that, I will also say that society does feel much different today...  :)

--- One other interesting tidbit, about WWII: there was a higher degree of opposition to that war than there was for most of Vietnam. While the country did indeed make things happen as a whole, there was a ton of disagreement about even being involved, even after Pearl Harbor. As I said, romanticizing the past; in this case, more likely that we 'remember' what we've been told/taught in school, which is often a sanitized version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom