What is the best GPS unit for RVs and why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ricknc said:
That is an aggravation and has been my only complaint with CoPilot. If you don't pass exactly through an intermediary stop or final destination. It will keep routing you back unless you cancel the stop. It doesn't happen to me every route but has enough in the 16 months I have used CoPilot, that I am accustomed to just canceling the stop manually (2 screen taps) when it occurs.

Have you tried designating those intermediary stops as waypoints? I think co-pilot will just assume you went close enough if you use waypoints.

My TomTom story.

I had put in my daugheters home in VA, from where we were in FL.  I wanted to take 50 across, it wanted me to go via I-4 through Orlando.  So, I figured it would try to reroute, and then settle down.  It continually did the 'recalculating' and attempt  to take me to I4.  After about 10 or more of these, it pronounced 'You are in charge'.  and stopped talking to me.  My wife and I looked at each other with a 'did we just hear that?' and it stopped.  Once we hit 95 north it started talking again. 

Wow, Bill! My Garmins will be persistent for a while, if I go off route, but eventually will recalculate to reroute from where I actually am (may take a few miles, depending on the route), but I can't imagine total abandonment.

PancakeBill said:
I like my Rand McNally 7720 (I think), b=nice size screen.  Good mounting system and lifetime map updates.  Little clunky to get them, but once a year not bad.

My Rand McNally 7720 is the best gps unit I have ever had. Not only does it tell me where I am, it also tells me everything that is around, it has all campground information in it, it gives me my current elevation, allows me to construct multiple-leg trips and it takes custom POIs. We just bought a new 2018 Fuse which comes with its own gps and I have seriously considered finding some way to mount and use the 7720 instead of the Ford gps.

ChasA said:
Have you tried designating those intermediary stops as waypoints? I think co-pilot will just assume you went close enough if you use waypoints.

Waypoints IIRC you only need to be with-in 1000' for it to cancel and that works fine for me. Only problem with waypoints is CoPilot doesn't give distances between waypoints while underway, just the over all mileage and drive time. Like I said earlier I have adjusted to manually cancelling stops if I don't pass through the target.  Suppose to be a new IOS version coming along this year, maybe it will address that.

MikeFromMesa said:
My Rand McNally 7720 is the best gps unit I have ever had. Not only does it tell me where I am, it also tells me everything that is around, it has all campground information in it, it gives me my current elevation, allows me to construct multiple-leg trips and it takes custom POIs. We just bought a new 2018 Fuse which comes with its own gps and I have seriously considered finding some way to mount and use the 7720 instead of the Ford gps.

Apparently this model has been discontinued? Does that mean that one can no longer get updated data installed?

jymbee said:
Apparently this model has been discontinued? Does that mean that one can no longer get updated data installed?

It was replaced by the 7730 a couple of years ago and for all I know there may well be a 7740. I have not checked. As for updates, that was not a problem as of 6 months ago since I updated about then. It came with lifetime updates and I assume that means lifetime. I do not do many updates as I assume roads will not change much. I am more interested in the updates for campgrounds.

One thing to note. I tried updating the maps on my Mac but that failed and I had to do it on Windows. I think Rand McNally put more time and effort into the Windows software.

MikeFromMesa said:
It was replaced by the 7730 a couple of years ago and for all I know there may well be a 7740. I have not checked. As for updates, that was not a problem as of 6 months ago since I updated about then. It came with lifetime updates and I assume that means lifetime. I do not do many updates as I assume roads will not change much. I am more interested in the updates for campgrounds.

Same here re. updates-- I usually keep our Garmins updated. I'm sure they're added a number of updated data points but I can't say as I notice any difference. Maybe just lucky. I do know that several errors I've made note of locally re. routing have not changed.

If the 7720 works for you that's all that counts. For a number of reasons however there's a lot of negative feedback on Amazon for the 7730:
https://www.amazon.com/Rand-McNally-7730-RV-GPS/product-reviews/B00N3RM186

My friend's got the the Garmin 770 and it works quite well, but it's quite expensive for me at the moment

SargeW said:
Use either the Waze app or Google maps on the DW phone. Much more accurate and always up to date.

Neither Waze nor Google maps account for height or weight of the vehicle. Also, I don't have anyone to copilot.

black92 said:
My friend's got the the Garmin 770 and it works quite well, but it's quite expensive for me at the moment

I was worried by a bunch of negative reviews on the 770 on Amazon. I also think it's despicable that they removed the free traffic from their most expensive RV device. The only way to get traffic is to either link it to your phone's data plan via Bluetooth or to pay $70 for the same traffic antenna that comes free with almost every other Garmin model.

RefugeeFromIRV2 said:
Neither Waze nor Google maps account for height or weight of the vehicle. Also, I don't have anyone to copilot.

Well, that's kind of my point. Either of those apps started and running at the beginning of the trip will provide up to date (and sometimes up to the minute) road info. Just get a simple phone holder to put on the dash. But that's all a matter of choice.  As far as the vehicle height and weight restrictions, posted road signs are far more accurate and dependable than any electronic device.  I bought the DW a "Trucker Atlas" a while back, and all truck routes are marked as well as restricted routes.  We always know the planned route we are going to take before we ever turn the key in the morning.

These are all personal preferences, and just options to consider. Choose what works best for you and go for it.

SargeW said:
Well, that's kind of my point. Either of those apps started and running at the beginning of the trip will provide up to date (and sometimes up to the minute) road info. Just get a simple phone holder to put on the dash. But that's all a matter of choice.  As far as the vehicle height and weight restrictions, posted road signs are far more accurate and dependable than any electronic device.  I bought the DW a "Trucker Atlas" a while back, and all truck routes are marked as well as restricted routes.  We always know the planned route we are going to take before we ever turn the key in the morning.

These are all personal preferences, and just options to consider. Choose what works best for you and go for it.

I second the trucker atlas.  No matter what form of navigation you use, it is very good to refer to the trucker atlas to make sure the route is relatively safe for the size vehicle you are in, or pulling.  We use one to plan our routes, and when our travels take us off the marked trucker routes, we use whatever info we can get to make sure we don't run into low underpasses, or rickety bridges.

And speaking of bridges.....a little story about a previous gps we followed before upgrading. 
    We planned a stop at a park in Texas upon our return from Colorado and our gps plotted a route to it.  It required us to turn down a road which stimulated my spidey senses, but I continued on anyway.  Well the road got a little smaller and risky looking, and then we came to the bridge.  With no way to turn around without backing up for about 2 miles, we sat staring at a wooden bridge.  Yep,  a wooden bridge.....you may remember those old bridges with minimum lumber and boards laid down long ways, where the wheels of your vehicle run.  Rickety guard rails and a swampy looking creek below.  The sign said load limit 5 tons.  At that time I didn't know exactly how much our fifth wheel weighed, but I figured it had to be right at 10,000, and our truck is about 6500.  So after a little figuring, and hoping that the total weight would be distributed over a long length,  we held our breath and proceeded across. 

We made it, but after that I made sure I got the navigation tools that I hope will prevent that kind of terror in the future.

I have a Rand 7715, and one thing I am not happy with is the battery.  Not sure whether I can get to it or not, but at times it will just die while we are traveling.  As to features, looking at the 7730, seems to be pretty close.  Mine has lifetime maps.  Question is, upgrade it or replace it?  We are full time, but we don't do national travel, and we stay once we get to where we are going to be, Heck at this point I know the roads enough to almost dispense with a GPS.  However the features keep me in, and the close-in directions.  I have GPS on my phone as well, but I don't find it convenient to use while driving.

I am now searching to see if I can replace the battery, it does have 4 tiny screws on it.

You may have "Lifetime maps" but that lifetime is the lifetime of the unit's support lifetime, not your lifetime Heh, heh!! You will likely be replacing it shortly for many other reasons unrelated to the maps in any case.

Personally, I won't touch a GPS that does not have the lifetime maps option these days, including those built into a car.... updates are ridiculously expensive!!

Yes, the lifetime maps is for as long as you own, I suppose if I made it last 100 years, I might lose support at some time.  However, the battery issue is really a pain.  While I have had it a number of years, I would prefer to update the battery.  I just spent the last couple minutes researching and have not found a replacement battery.  I'll use just support and see if they are any help.

You are definitely correct, lifetime of the unit.

BTW, it mostly functions fine while plugged in, but on occasion it shuts off even if plugged in.  You can tell by the light, when green it is fine, it is when it goes yellow you know that it is going to die.

I thought maybe it was the 12v PS, but swapped out and still issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Canuk River Rat
Back
Top Bottom