What is the best tuner for the Duramax

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You asked what is a good programmer for a duramax. PPE excelerator is a very good programmer that can increase fuel mileage if driven lightly, but don't even think about adding a programmer or EFI live or any type of performance mod without first installing gauges. Then, if you plan on more than 75 rear wheel hp, you need to install a transgo jr. shift kit to keep the allison auto happy. Then you can up the hp a little more as long as you keep the exhaust gas temps in check and under 1300 degrees. The higher hp tunes tend to deliver better fuel economy if you drive with an egg under the throttle and the reason is due to the addition of more timing. Not all trucks react the same with the same tuning, some get better mileage on one and others don't, but power always goes up and gets addictive as does replacing rear tires.

I beg to differ with the more power mean less MPG's... I'm living proof of that being wrong. I've taken my stock 02 Dodge and went from 228 HP to 381 HP then gained from 16-17 MPG to 20-22 MPG empty. On trailer towing I'm right around 13-14 MPG. As for the Edge Comp module I'm running I've learned how to drive with it turned up to the highest setting and keeping the MPG's high. There is a trick to it though. Its all about the boost pressure because as the boost pressure rises the timing starts to retard (VP44 injection pump) this follow the auto-ignition temperature laws (which diesel engines are designed on).

The autoignition temperature or kindling point of a substance is the lowest temperature at which it will spontaneously ignite in a normal atmosphere without an external source of ignition, such as a flame or spark. This temperature is required to supply the activation energy needed for combustion. The temperature at which a chemical will ignite decreases as the pressure increases (Or boost pressure increases) or oxygen concentration increases. It is usually applied to a combustible fuel mixture.

Autoignition temperatures of liquid chemicals are typically measured using a 500 mL flask placed in a temperature controlled oven in accordance with the procedure described in ASTM E659.

Here is a timing map of the injection cycle for the 98.5 to 02 Dodge
http://tinypic.com/m/fbaixx/4

So knowing this the Duramax is going to very simiular in design (its a diesel!) I hope this tidbit of Dodge knowledge help ya... (Shrug smiley)

Too much work for me.  I'll just drive what I got and I don't have to worry about anything except buying fuel!  I like it just fine the way it sits.

Ok, guys, just put in the duramileage CPM, and as of right now, I am impressed!
The low end power is smooth and strong! The off idle is much more responsive.
Mileage from the DICS before was 19-20 on the freeway flat ground for 30 miles.
Same exact route yesterday was 24-28! Mpg.
This was at 70mph rpm was about 17-1800.
The truck feels like it is coasting down the freeway at 70mph?
Truck runs much smoother? I like it very much so far.
Heading to flaming gorge towing my travel trailer and atv trailer, loaded!
I will give you all the hand calculated numbers when I get back.
But as of right now, the fuel needle is not moving as fast to the empty side!
And I like that!

Ok, just got back from my trip to Flaming Gorge!
Last year 8.0mpg. This year, with much more power! 9.8mpg, DIC said 10.0.
So far around town and back and forth to work 30 miles freeway, and 8 miles city driving per day and one week average = before 17.0 to 17.5mpg average per week, and now 21.0 to 22.0 mpg average per week!.
So I would say for the amount of power and drivability and fuel mileage savings, it was well worth it, I won't be going back to the stock ECM.

Hey guys, I think there is a problem with Cooptroop5's post.  When I did a google search on the Duramilage CPM, I was directed to several sites that all have this identical post.  Do the search and you'll see.

Larry, a number of our members participate on other forums.

July 28 2013 @ 12:46:46 pm cooptroop states " headed to Flaming Gorge ".
July 28 2013 @ 12:47:40 pm cooptroop states " just got back from Flaming Gorge ".
That must be some chip, less than a minute to complete the trip! Warp drive? Ludicrous speed drive?

Bill

They look like copy/paste from his posts on other forums, where they weren't posted on the same day  ???

Back
Top Bottom