What is the farthest you have traveled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our longest trip was Myrtle beach, SC to Wenatchee, WA were we live when we bought our new to us WS31. So far our trips consist of 1-2 weeks at a time either the two of us or summer getaway with two of our four Grand daughters. Mileage could be 2-300 miles to a favorite spot or 1-3,000 to the Washington, Oregon coasts.

farthest - PA to Wyoming - Awesome trip!!

Normal - Down to Florida twice since December 2000 miles a clip.  Some shorter mixed in there.  Family actually doesn't mind the longer days in the RV.  We did 781 miles in one day coming back from Florida but that is a "record" and NO I do not try to break the record.  That is a recipe for an accident.  Too tired.

Would love to take 4 straight weeks before my kids leave the nest and make it further out west.  We both work full time so we may have to fly to see the grand canyon.  :mad:

I forgot the longest (and worse) trip we ever took. We left Quartzsite, AZ on January 29 about 10:00 and arrived in Cedar Rapids, Iowa on February 1 in the early afternoon, maybe 2:00 or 3:00. More than 1700 miles in 2 1/2 days. It was totally exhausting but completely worth it since we were going to see my daughter?s first baby, 2 weeks early. Oh, and it was cold and snowy quite a bit of the way. Grandson is still adorable though.

We live in Central Florida and we have been all over Central Florida and North Florida.  Ironically we have never camped in the adjacent states (Georgia, Alabama) but have camped beyond (Mississippi, North Carolina, Tennessee and even Kentucky).  Even at trailer speeds we go 600-700 miles when necessary. 

My farthest trip was 800 feet. Not very impressive you think? This was in the Caribbean going straight down in a Yellow Submarine.

Attachments

• Tom 1987-06.jpg
    Tom 1987-06.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 15
Six years and 114,000 miles--six big loops around the U.S. and into Canada.  I full-time, so I travel, not take trips.  Am hoping I can do this for another six years and who knows how many miles. 

Recently retired: 

last year.....May thru August - approx. 12 K miles ( some of which was travel to/from                          getting our little class c)
                          this year..... day after Easter to present - 9K miles (2300 of which, returning to Mesa, to get our 5er)

Peggyy said:
Ok So when you take a really long trip do you hit the ground running and drive drive drive every day until you get there or do you drive and then stop a few days to rest and then drive etc.

We're both Retired, so our rule of thumb is: 250 miles a day.. or 2:30/3:00 in the afternoon.. for a day's travels, on an extended trip. Our normal Travel Destination Plan is: We might have destination points but.. we'll Be there.. when we Get there. We often have stopped for just the night.. and end up staying for 3-4 days (+)... if there's something that interests us, to see and do. If we are going to visit folks along the way.. we call them when we're 3-4 days away.

Weekend trips are 3-4 + days @ 500 miles, round trip.. or so.

(we're taking off from here in CenCal.. for San Antonio, Texas next Saturday, to be there 1 thru 5 July. We'll be back.. around the end of July, to the 1st part of August, or so. If that's an indicator ?)

Our longest was 6500 miles in two weeks. We usually stay around 3000- 4000 on two week trips. Not retired yet. Can't wait to just take our time.

biggersm said:
We live in Central Florida and we have been all over Central Florida and North Florida.  Ironically we have never camped in the adjacent states (Georgia, Alabama) but have camped beyond (Mississippi, North Carolina, Tennessee and even Kentucky).  Even at trailer speeds we go 600-700 miles when necessary.

I need to know all the great places in florida you have camped since we just moved to orlando area!  Please share.

22,000 miles... Yuma, AZ to Yucatan/Belize, North to Canada, East to Maritimes, Newfoundland and Labrador, South through Outer Banks, circumnavigating Florida West to Yuma, AZ.

3 weeks shy of one year.

Terry A. Brewer said:
22,000 miles... Yuma, AZ to Yucatan/Belize, North to Canada, East to Maritimes, Newfoundland and Labrador, South through Outer Banks, circumnavigating Florida West to Yuma, AZ.

3 weeks shy of one year.

Wow.  I definitely think you are the winner !

Terry A. Brewer said:

3 weeks shy of one year.

Damn Terry, that's a hell of a trip.  Color me jealous. 

Now it is easier to understand that 200k+ miles on your coach when you take trips like that. ;)

Mike

I'm not sure if this is more a question about how far total, or how far is comfortable on any given day. Our first trip saw just a hair over 4000 miles go on the truck in a week, although some of that was at the destination.

We had to do over 600 miles in a day several times during that trip, and that kinda sucked, for us. It just felt like too much work, when it was supposed to be a vacation! We are now planning on exceeding 300-350 in a day only under extenuating circumstances, the kind that aren't 'just one more day here?'... lol. Part of what we really enjoyed on our trip was just relaxing at the end of the day, just the two of us, enjoying the day, the scene, and each other; we'd rather have more of that than less.

But, to each their own; having a family can make that harder to do. I work, for now, and the kids are all gone, so what works for us may not be feasible for others. We also enjoy the trip as much as the destination; having time constraints usually changes that...

signcut said:
I'm not sure if this is more a question about how far total, or how far is comfortable on any given day. Our first trip saw just a hair over 4000 miles go on the truck in a week, although some of that was at the destination.

We had to do over 600 miles in a day several times during that trip, and that kinda sucked, for us. It just felt like too much work, when it was supposed to be a vacation! We are now planning on exceeding 300-350 in a day only under extenuating circumstances, the kind that aren't 'just one more day here?'... lol. Part of what we really enjoyed on our trip was just relaxing at the end of the day, just the two of us, enjoying the day, the scene, and each other; we'd rather have more of that than less.

But, to each their own; having a family can make that harder to do. I work, for now, and the kids are all gone, so what works for us may not be feasible for others. We also enjoy the trip as much as the destination; having time constraints usually changes that...

Back when we were racing it was very common to drive 650+ mile days.  It sucked but when working full-time and trying to get some playing in on the weekends it was about our only option. 

Now that we no longer race we still drive those 650~ish mile days but they are fewer and further in between, usually when headed to a rally or a specific destination on a time crunch.  When just normal driving we try to stay under 400 miles per day because we also enjoy some sight-seeing and relaxing at the end of each day.

We're not trying to wish our lives away but we do look forward to retirement when we can travel a couple of hundred and not feel rushed.

Mike

NY_Dutch said:
Since we live in our motorhome and move around pretty often, how do we tell when a trip ends?  ;)

That is really zen. The journey of life.

Terry A. Brewer said:

3 weeks shy of one year.

Wow. That sounds absolutely amazing. Did you post a blog with pictures? I would love to see those images.
The popular media would have you believe that it is SUPER dangerous to drive through mmexico and central america.
It was a childhood dream of mine to go Peru-to-Alaska, but I have now been filled with fear and paranoia.

Back
Top Bottom