What Is The Max Trailer Weight For An F350 6.2 V8?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve44

I'm looking at tow vehicles and I think the max I will go is a Ford F350 SRW 6.2 V8 gas engine.  I know the diesel has numerous advantages, but I'm sticking to gas.  The maximum towing for a Super Cab seems to be 12,500 according to Ford, but I'm seeing threads that talk about discounting those numbers, especially for gas engines at altitude.  I've been looking at a number of bumper-pull trailers that have empty weights from 8,000 to 10,000.  I don't know how much to add for supplies that will be loaded.  What empty weight trailer would you suggest is the max for the tow vehicle I've described?

What year Ford truck? If it's fairly new you can look at Ford's towing site. Better yet, you can also contact Ford and give them your vin number and they will tell you your trucks towing specs. Look at the travel trailers and try to keep the trailer at 80% of it's gross vehicle weight rating. You have to consider what your putting in the truck such as wife, kids, toys, tools, etc. Also if your going to haul with full tank of water, food, clothes, pots, pans........you get the picture. My 2005 Ford diesel weight rating included a full tank of gas and a 150 lb driver..........which I am not! ::)
Our 28' 5th wheel is 7,600 lbs dry and loaded with 59 gallons of water, all supplies, generator, etc I come in at 9,600 lbs. My GVWR is 11,500 so I am under 80% of capacity.
I have a diesel and with my load I don't worry about altitude at all. If you are sure that you are going to buy a gasser, I would not worry about the altitude because you can always shift to a lower gear when you are pulling the hill. Try not to make this too complicated or you will go nuts.
So again, find the towing specs on your truck before you buy it. Consider that 10-15% of the total loaded trailer weight will be on your trucks rear end and try to give yourself about 20% leeway. Add whatever your going to put in the bed of the truck along with the cab.
Just out of curiosity, why are you so adamant about a gas engine?

I'll send you Ford's towing site on the next post.

Good luck, Stan

Ok, here is the link to Ford's 2015 towing site. 350 gas super cab is just short of 12,500 GVWR with 1,250 hitch weight rating if you stick to a 2.5" ball and the big receiver. Your much better off with the diesel as you can see.
Also, don't believe the dry trailer weights that are listed in brochures, your trailer will come in a bit heavier. Here you go.

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/15RV&TT_Ford_SuperDtyPU_r1_Jan12.pdf

Stan

donuts said:
Ok, here is the link to Ford's 2015 towing site. 350 gas super cab is just short of 12,500 GVWR with 1,250 hitch weight rating if you stick to a 2.5" ball and the big receiver. Your much better off with the diesel as you can see.
Also, don't believe the dry trailer weights that are listed in brochures, your trailer will come in a bit heavier. Here you go.

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/15RV&TT_Ford_SuperDtyPU_r1_Jan12.pdf

Stan

I didn't know that trailer hitch balls come in a 2 1/2" size. I thought the largest was 2 5/16".

donuts

I'm looking at new Ford trucks and I've already seen their web page with all the vehicle towing capacities.  I was wondering about how much the weight increases when loaded and how much leeway I need to leave compared to the max towing limit.  You more or less answered both of those.  Thanks.  It looks like if I pick an 8,000 lb. trailer I will have about 20% leeway when loaded.

Why don't I want a diesel?  Eight thousand dollars for starters (that's how much more Ford adds to the price).  Also, I think they don't accelerate as quickly and they are louder IMO.  I'm not looking to burn rubber pulling a trailer, but 90% of the time that truck won't be pulling a trailer.  If I have to get a diesel someday I will, but only if I must.

Steve

Steve, I know the diesel is more money, but they are really quiet and will accelerate quickly. The big advantage is torque at low RPM and the resale value will get the 8 grand back if and when you sell. The motor will last longer and the truck will allow you to move up to a heavier trailer if that change is in your future.
I wish you safe travels and many years of camping pleasure.

Stan

Rene T said:
I didn't know that trailer hitch balls come in a 2 1/2" size. I thought the largest was 2 5/16".

Rene, here is where I found that info on Ford's towing site.

Hitch Receiver Weight Capacity
Refer to the Trailer Towing Selector chart for Maximum Loaded Trailer Weights for each vehicle.
Vehicle
F-250/F-350 Super Duty SRW
F-250/F-350 Super Duty SRW w/6.7L engine
F-350 Super Duty DRW w/6.2L engine
F-350 Super Duty DRW w/6.7L engine and F-450 Super Duty
Max. Tongue Load (Lbs.) 1,250(2)
1,400(3)(4)
1,610(3) 1,900(3)(5)
Weight-Carrying Max. Trailer
Capacity (Lbs.)(1)
Max. Tongue Load (Lbs.)
Weight-Distributing Max. Trailer
Capacity (Lbs.)(1)
12,500(2)
14,000(3)(4)
16,100(3)
19,000(3)(5)
(1) Hitch receivers do not include a hitch ball or ball mounting. The vehicle owner is responsible for obtaining the proper hitch ball, ball mounting, weight-distributing equipment (i.e., equalizing arms and snap-up brackets, sway control system) and other appropriate equipment to tow both the trailer and its cargo load. (2) Not available with 6.7L diesel with 156", 158" and 172" wheelbases. (3) 2.5" receiver. If the provided 2.5" to 2.0" adapter is used, this reduces the Max. Trailer Capacity to 12,500 lbs. and the Max. Tongue Load to 1,250 lbs. (4) Available only with 156", 158" and 172" wheelbases. (5) Available only with 172" wheelbase.

Stan

Im a gas lover plain and simple took me 30 yrs to buy a diesel, now i have one omg i cant believe the differance.
My wife drives a 2010 6.2l 12 mpg city
Me 2013 diesel 15 city

My wife highway pulling boat 11mpg boat is 5500lbs
Me highway 11mpg  trailer is 15000 lbs

If your planning a big trailer DESIEL

The simple answer is to ignore the dry weight and use the trailer GVWR (max load). If they don't show GVWR in the brochure, just add cargo capacity to the empty weight - it will be close enough. Sooner or later your trailer will be loaded to the max, so plan ahead!  Weekenders tend to carry around 1000 lbs of gear, but the range is wide. And the empty weight in the brochure is rarely correct for the actual unit you will actually find on the dealer lot anyway.

Also be aware that the max trailer capacity is for a standardized load in the truck and does not include the weight of the hitch itself, gear carried in the truck, or extra passengers.

The suggested de-rating percentage is for a reduction in the performance of a naturally aspirated engine at higher altitudes as well as an allowance for extra gear in the truck. Modern computer-controlled engines don't suffer noticeable performance loss until well over 7000 ft, and you can ignore the "extra gear" part if you account for that in your load estimate. Just don't ignore it altogether.

steveblonde said:
Im a gas lover plain and simple took me 30 yrs to buy a diesel, now i have one omg i cant believe the differance.
My wife drives a 2010 6.2l 12 mpg city
Me 2013 diesel 15 city

My wife highway pulling boat 11mpg boat is 5500lbs
Me highway 11mpg  trailer is 15000 lbs

If your planning a big trailer DESIEL

I agree my last trip to Emmett, ID with the trailer I got 14 MPG towing a 8,000 pound trailer. I normally get like 22-23 MPG empty. Way better than any gasser even with the price of diesel being high the Cost Per Mile is still cheaper than most all gas powered trucks.

Attachments

• mpg compare.png
    mpg compare.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 4
I agree. Have a gasser 2001 GMC 2500HD Xcab 6.0 w/supercharger puts out 450hp. Towed 14.5k Cameo 5er got 7.5 w/both empty (pickup day) and 6.5mpg hightest towing fully weighted. Stepped up to 08 GMC 2500HD CC 6.6 LMM diesel w/Allison.  We get 24mpg@65mph and 11.5mpg towing 16.5k weighted at scales. I use a Diablo T1000 programmer basically using 40hpfor towing and 60hp for empty.  Safe travels.

Gary

Thanks for the feedback.  If this forum had a like button I'd be hitting it on that response.  I checked the trailer which is my favorite.  It shows:

Shipping Weight 8585
Carrying Capacity 2265
Hitch 1070

So the max weight would be 10,850.  Based on what you're saying the F350 6.2 V8 should be able to handle it if I stay under 7,000 feet.  Actually I don't plan to spend much time high in the mountains, but there would probably be some visits "down the road".

Thanks again.

donuts said:
Rene, here is where I found that info on Ford's towing site.
If the provided 2.5" to 2.0" adapter is used[/color], this reduces the Max. Trailer Capacity to 12,500 lbs. and the Max. Tongue Load to 1,250 lbs. (4) Available only with 156", 158" and 172" wheelbases. (5) Available only with 172" wheelbase.

Stan

Stan, I believe the 2 1/2" they are talking about is the size/opening of the receiver. That's the part of the hitch mounted to the tow vehicle.  Unless there is something I'm missing.  :eek:

Steve44 said:
Gary

Thanks for the feedback.  If this forum had a like button I'd be hitting it on that response.  I checked the trailer which is my favorite.  It shows:

Shipping Weight 8585
Carrying Capacity 2265 I
Hitch 1070

So the max weight would be 10,850.  Based on what you're saying the F350 6.2 V8 should be able to handle it if I stay under 7,000 feet.  Actually I don't plan to spend much time high in the mountains, but there would probably be some visits "down the road".

Thanks again.

You don't have to stay under 7K feet just because you have a gas motor but like ALL MOTORS that use oxygen for combustion you will get power lose in the higher altitudes, you just use a lower gear and keep on going.

Denny

Rene T said:
Stan, I believe the 2 1/2" they are talking about is the size/opening of the receiver. That's the part of the hitch mounted to the tow vehicle.  Unless there is something I'm missing.  :eek:

Rene, your right. It's a 2 1/2 inch receiver with a 2 5/16 inch ball.

Stan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom