What is this and do I need a new one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wrdabney

I'll pulled this out of where my hot water heater is thinking it was just a drain (water was slowly leaking around the threads). I pulled it out and there's a long probe type thing attached to the drain plug and it starting going to pieces when I pulled it out. What is it? Do I need a new one?
http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp171/wrdabney/251cd2fb.jpg

If there are wires coming out of it, its an electric heater,, if not, its an anode rod and probably needs replacing.>>>Dan

There are wires around it but it's a gas heater. I can see the flame. What is an anode rod?

Suburban brand water heaters use an anode rod in the drain to protect the tank from corrosion. Atwood brand heaters do not need one.

Since yours has wires, it was an aftermarket add-on to use electric heat instead of propane in your heater. The best known brand of these is called the Hott Rod and a similar one is Lightning Rod. You don't require one, but it is nice to have electric powered hot water instead of propane, since the electricity comes with the campsite in most cases.

Hott Rod

Lightning Rod

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp171/wrdabney/1f02dd71.jpg
Here is a better picture of the water heater unit. It doesn't appear to have anything aftermarket but I could be wrong. I'm still not real sure if I need to replace the plug anode thing.

I pulled my drain plug this afternoon as part of my winterizing steps and I also noticed a rod. I assumed it was a anode rod. It's still in good shape.
I also blew all the water lines with my compressor. I do run a small oil fill heater and it keeps the inside quite warm at 80-85 degrees(45 outside). I leave the cabinet doors for under the sink, water heater and bathroom sink open. I measure the temperature with my IR gun around the rig and it averages about 80. I did pour antifreeze down the sink and shower traps.

There is no other reason I can conceive of to have wires running to a drain plug.

I couldn't see a heater brand name in the photo, though. Have you identified it? If we knew what brand it was, we could more confidently tell you what the party was.

I think the poster is cornfused, he is speaking of wires but is showing pictures of the water heater instead of the "rod" that he removed for inspection.>>>Dan

Sorry guys, I was confused. There are not wires coming off the drain plug. The unit is a suburban sw6 de.

What you remove is an anode rod.  When depleted it will have a stiff wire left.  It should be about 1/2" to 5/8" in dameter when new and you will be able to see the end of the stiff wire in the non threaded end.

Be sure to flush out the goop in the bottom of the heater while the anode is out.

Is just letting all the water run out flushing it enough? Should I get a new one?

I flushed mine out this summer and I had to stir it up as the water ran out.  Yes you do need to replace the anode, it keeps the heater from corroding.  Its technical name is a sacrificial anode.  It sacrifices itself to save the heater.

Wrdabney said:
Is just letting all the water run out flushing it enough? Should I get a new one?

No, just letting the water out will get some but most will probably still be in there, it is on my Suburban heater.  I made an adapter from a hose cap and a small piece of 1/4" copper tubing to aid in flushing.  You can buy a plastic one at most RV stores for a few $$.

Depending on how much of the original rod is left, about 1/4" or greater diameter, you should get a new one.  If it is badly eroded, I would get a new one in anyway.  They were about $10 the last time I bought some.  I usually have a couple around just because!

I flush my Water Heater tank by connecting the Rig to City Water, close all spigots in the Rig, remove the Drain Plug.  After the Tank is drained I then turn on the city water and let it flush, I also have a coat hanger that I have closed the end and covered with Silicon that has dried.  I insert that while the water is running and sweep the bottom of the tank to raise the sediment so it will flow out.  You are going to get wet but that's the price for having fun.

I siliconed the end of the coat hanger so I wouldn't scratch the inside  of the tank.  I use a heavy duty coat hanger.

Its an anode, the wire is the center support, threaded into the pipe plug, you need a new one or the heater will rust out. From its condition you might already have some crossion going on. They are cheep get one for next year.
Jim

Here is an article in our library that discuses preventive maintenance including flushing the lime out of your water heater.

In that article he talks about filling the tank with a bottle of vinegar to resolve the lime. How would you get a bottle of vinegar into the tank. Is there a fill spout or something?

I use a male hose to PVC slip adapter, a slip, slip 45? pvc angle, and about 15" of straight 3/4" pvc pipe.  I then pour the vinegar down the pipe and then fill the hater with water.  Let it sit for a day or so and then flush with water.

Works for me,

Back
Top Bottom