What is typically easier to tow and set up: MH with toad or TV with Travel Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have done a lot of trailer towing over many years and while I have never considered hooking up to be a competition, you really should apply to Guinness for their book of records!
I was more referring to the actual hooking and unhooking of the hitch and assorted tow apparatus - TT vs TOAD. The rest of the procedure - leveling, stabilizing, connecting to shore power, etc. - would take about the same amount of time. :)

I was more referring to the actual hooking and unhooking of the hitch and assorted tow apparatus - TT vs TOAD. The rest of the procedure - leveling, stabilizing, connecting to shore power, etc. - would take about the same amount of time. :)
It depends on the equipment. A trailer generally has heavier components to connect and disconnect and the tow vehicle has to exactly line up with the trailer's hitch. But the braking setup consists of plugging in the electrical cord to the tow vehicle.

A 4 down toad is simpler and lighter to hitch and unhitch, you only have to get the front of the vehicle close to the motorhome and extend the tow arms to reach. But it's advantages go away if you have to use a tow dolly which requires strapping the car in place or you have to set up and remove a braking system inside the vehicle.

Having towed both cars and trailers I vote for a motor home with towed.> With the proper hitch (I used a blue ox) hook up is easy and fast.. Hooking up a Trailer either a TT or 5er or gooseneck is not as easy... Though I do agree backing in is easy. But if it's say raining I need perhaps 2 minutes outdoor to drop the car and then I'm all inside till the rain lets up. can't do that with a trailer

Having towed both cars and trailers I vote for a motor home with towed.> With the proper hitch (I used a blue ox) hook up is easy and fast.. Hooking up a Trailer either a TT or 5er or gooseneck is not as easy... Though I do agree backing in is easy. But if it's say raining I need perhaps 2 minutes outdoor to drop the car and then I'm all inside till the rain lets up. can't do that with a trailer
I have towed everything, and of all of them the gooseneck was by far the easiest. Back the truck up until the ball is under the connection. Crank the connector down onto the ball, hook up the safety chains, crank the jack the rest of the way up and drive away testing the bakes as you go. And this was hauling heavy equipment, not some light 12,000# 5er.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom