What is typically easier to tow and set up: MH with toad or TV with Travel Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the OP is asking for opinions - TT, hands down. Piece of cake to back up, as opposed to a TOAD, which you have to disconnect. Easier maintenance, less expensive to maintain, more than enough storage (depending on size, of course) because you never need all the junk you think you do when you start piling things into it. My RAM 2500 is my everyday driver anyway so there is no issue with using it as a run-around vehicle when disconnected from the TT.

Turning a corner - right or left - is just a matter of practice. The rear of the trailer isn't going to follow the rear of the truck. That is called "off-tracking", and you just need to be cognizant to make slightly wider turns, as in pull farther into the intersection then do more of a 90 degree thing. Once in a while you even need to pull into the oncoming lane for a few feet so plan for that, too. But that is also required with a TOAD.

And while not as convenient as a MH for bathroom breaks, all you need to do is find a parking lot somewhere, pull into the back of it, and go into your TT to do your thing. Besides, that's probably about the time you need to stretch anyway.

As to ease of connecting and disconnecting, I can have a TT hooked up, chained, and electrically connected in 1 minute. Even if you use a WDH, once it is set up properly it is only a matter of 30 seconds to get it attached after that.

My 0.02¢...

As to ease of connecting and disconnecting, I can have a TT hooked up, chained, and electrically connected in 1 minute. Even if you use a WDH, once it is set up properly it is only a matter of 30 seconds to get it attached after that.

My 0.02¢...
Wow. I'd sure like to know how you do that. While it's been more than 10 years, hooking up our old TT to our 2005 F250 took way more than a minute. Maybe the difference is a rear camera enhanced truck. Our F250 required at least a capable person watching at the hitch or on my own, a fair amount of trial and error, backing getting out to look, repeat, repeat, etc., etc., etc.

I'd suggest you consider the full timers selection; generally strongly biased toward 4down, against the overall lower cost of the trailer tow.
My choice has been 4 down but cost is not that significant a factor for us.

Ernie

Keep in mind this is coming from someone that owns a crew cab F-250 and in the past has used it as a daily driver, as well as a motorhome with a small Toyota Yaris TOAD.

First off an F250 can make a good daily driver if you are in wide open rural spaces, not so much if you are trying to get into parking garages at the Texas Medical center (been there done that), or driving around the French Quarter in New Orleans, or even trying to fit into any number of cramped parking lots in numerous cities.

Second off, people get obsessed with this not being able to back up with a TOAD attached issue, sure it is something to be aware of, but ask yourself this, when was the last time you were forced into a situation where you had to back up while driving, I mean actual driving, out on a road, not in a parking lot. Sure dead end streets and parking lots do exist, but for the most part are easy to avoid, and if you do get caught in one un-hooking and reconnecting a TOAD is not the end of the world. Since starting to pull a TOAD around circa 3 years / 10,000 miles ago we have found ourselves possibly needing to unhook it once. That was at a Loves Truck stop last May, while we were getting fuel an 18 wheeler delivery truck for their on site restaurant pulled in and parked in front of us at an angle blocking all possible routes for us to pull forward from the gas pump, and started unloading. Rather than un-hook the TOAD we opted to wait them out, as I did not mind the extra 15 minutes break from driving.

Third, everyone's situation is different, what works best for one will not work for others.

Fourth, I stand behind me statement about a TOAD being easier to connect than a trailer, I grew up on a farm, I have connected many trailers in my lifetime, I own 4 of the things (utility trailers, boat trailers, car hauler, etc.), with a TOAD you have articulating arms on a modern tow bar, no tongue jack to deal with, etc. Sure in a race either could be faster, but faster and easier are not the same thing.

Wow. I'd sure like to know how you do that. While it's been more than 10 years, hooking up our old TT to our 2005 F250 took way more than a minute. Maybe the difference is a rear camera enhanced truck. Our F250 required at least a capable person watching at the hitch or on my own, a fair amount of trial and error, backing getting out to look, repeat, repeat, etc., etc., etc.
OK, three minutes. ;)

Although there have been a few times over the years when someone who was already standing there would start directing me when backing up it has almost always been without me asking for assistance, but they're being nice so I just let them think they're helping.

I've been towing for 40+ years, and most of my life I have been single so I never had anyone around to help me line up. I'm married now, but I have been doing this for so long I know that more times than not I can get my ball close enough on the first try that I don't have to get out and look more than once. And I have disabled my backup camera because it's a distraction out of the corner of my eye when I'm trying to line up.

After that, it's just a matter of dropping the hitch on the ball, hooking up the chains, and plugging it in. A WDH hitch only takes a minute longer if you already have it set for that truck and trailer. If you have to adjust it to a new TV, that takes noticeably longer.

This topic reminds me of what is the best vehicle and engine to buy for rving, Ford, Chevy, Ram and or diesel versus gas. I am surprised its only gotten 25 replies and no fireworks on the gear ratio either.

Probably not huge differences in set-up or highway travel between those two choices, but the gas class A is probably a bit better equipped for convenience than any travel trailer that size. By that I mean things like a leveling system, cord & hose bay, and basement storage. And the class A will have a much sturdier chassis and heavy duty wheels & tires than any light trailer, which would benefit over the long term. There are trailers with those sorts of things, but generally not in the 28 ft, 7000 lb GVWR class.

Most RVers who have owned trailers soon learned how to set up & take down in an efficient manner and don't consider it a big deal. And if the trailer has powered leveling jacks, the difference vs a motorhome really narrows. Also, some trailer owners aren't as capable as others too, giving substantial difference in perspective vs those who can set up or strike camp in 5 minutes or less.

Much of the rest depends on your individual tastes, style of travel, and preferences. I'm talking about bathroom and fridge access, truck cab vs coach cab comfort & noise levels, highway visibility, etc. What is a big plus for one person maybe ho-hum to another.

Probably not huge differences in set-up or highway travel between those two choices, but the gas class A is probably a bit better equipped for convenience than any travel trailer that size. By that I mean things like a leveling system, cord & hose bay, and basement storage. And the class A will have a much sturdier chassis and heavy duty wheels & tires than any light trailer, which would benefit over the long term. There are trailers with those sorts of things, but generally not in the 28 ft, 7000 lb GVWR class.

Most RVers who have owned trailers soon learned how to set up & take down in an efficient manner and don't consider it a big deal. And if the trailer has powered leveling jacks, the difference vs a motorhome really narrows. Also, some trailer owners aren't as capable as others too, giving substantial difference in perspective vs those who can set up or strike camp in 5 minutes or less.

Much of the rest depends on your individual tastes, style of travel, and preferences. I'm talking about bathroom and fridge access, truck cab vs coach cab comfort & noise levels, highway visibility, etc. What is a big plus for one person maybe ho-hum to another.
Well put, Gary.

I'm pretty certain the motor home owners will say theirs is easier and best. And I'm sure the towable crowd will say theirs is the best.

In the end, it really depends upon your own experience, camping style, financial position, age / health / mobility, and what the wife wants!

Note the question was which one is easier, not which one is best. The question of best opens up all sorts of other concerns, maintenance, bang for the buck, ...

The question was:
Generally speaking, which setup is easier to drive, get around, set up, tear down and generally more convenient?
What accessory equipment makes the job easier for each setup?

Weather plays an important part. I've had to disconnect and setup a trailer in a hard cold rain in Canada. Miserable is the word.
I did the same with our MH and 4 down towed, again in Canada. Never had to open the door, just push a button 2X and the MH leveled itself, while the cold rain poured down.
Both experiences were with a caravan into Canada where we moved every day or so.

People seem to be focusing on how quickly they can get ready to hit the road - how about at the end of the day getting the RV ready for habitation?

We went from decades of fifth wheel towing to a Class A back in 2007. Granted - back then the fifth wheels did not have the automatic levelers that are common today, but our procedure with the fifth wheels was: park it in the assigned spot, using the bubble on the front, and wood blocks where needed, to get it level side-to-side. then, disconnect the truck and move it out of the way before dropping the landing gear to level it front-to-back. Then crank the stabilizers down to stabilize it all, and put the X-chocks between the tires for further stabilization. Then, connect the utilities. Next, it was time to extend the slides and set up the interior.

Compare that with our Bounder motorhome: get it parked in the assigned spot and use wood blocks as needed to get it level in both dimensions. Then, push the button next to the driver's seat to drop the levelers for final leveling and stabilization. Then push the buttons over the door to extend the slides. Then go outside to connect the utilities. Finally, do the interior setup.

Setup of most motorhomes is a lot quicker than either fifth wheels or travel trailers.

I have had a small Class C and several "smaller" TT's. I own several utility trailers and a couple of times a year will tow 9,000 pound equipment trailers. I have property so I need a truck. When you get used to driving a 21 ft truck, you just drive it. I enjoy driving in out of the way places so a MH is not possible. Think White Rim trail, back roads in the Big Horn Mtns,
My F150 with turbo 3.5 will pull way better than most other trucks in the mountains because it makes the same hp at sea level or 12,000 ft.

Like others have said, it will depend on your particular wants/needs, how you like to camp, and where you like to go... I have had at least one of everything, with the exception of a slide in truck camper, and a Class C motorhome... I can honestly say that the best overall choice for me has been my Class A diesel pusher pulling my 1500 Ram pick-up.

With the trailers, I found that while I could hook them up rather quickly and be on my way, the driving experience wasn't the best. I found I was constantly having to watch out for other drivers, and the bucking and chucking of pulling both the 5'er and the travel trailer made for a tiring "end of the day" experience. And I had plenty of truck to pull with...

With the MH's I found I could drive much longer distances and not be mentally drained at the end of the day. I can be unhooked, leveled and in my campsite in a matter of minutes.

On our last southern trip last winter, we pulled into our pull-thru site with our Class A towing our car in pouring rain at Ft McAllister SP in Georgia. I had checked in by phone, and after parking, leveling, and pushing the button to start the onboard generator, I left the driver's seat to go relax and watch TV until the rain stopped an hour or so later and I could do the outside hookup stuff. The same thing happened a few times over the 13 years we full timed.

We started out, years ago, with a conversion van. It was complete with a jacknife sofa and cassette toilette, coleman ice box and 12 gallon half keg/sink combo. Our outdoor kitchen consisted of a coleman stove and folding table. It provided many hours of pleasant travel for us.

Years later we have a 20 ft TT with all the amenities. Its easy to tow, level and locate into most sites. It has a bed that stays a bed, and full shower bathroom.

I can only add that in our case, with all things considered, we purchased what suited us the best. I like the ability to unhitch the tow vehicle and quickly go where we choose. Only one engine to maintain and simple reliable systems on the TT, with no fancy landing/leveling gear or slideouts or fancy bluetooth gadgets to break down.
At most a 10 to 15 minute set up or breakdown and we're off to the races.

All I can say is it suits our purposes, didn't break the bank on purchase, and has brought us many hours of pleasure during our many 4 day to two week annual trips.

Only you can decide what's important to you...

Safe travels and all the best.

With the trailers, I found that while I could hook them up rather quickly and be on my way, the driving experience wasn't the best. I found I was constantly having to watch out for other drivers, and the bucking and chucking of pulling both the 5'er and the travel trailer made for a tiring "end of the day" experience. And I had plenty of truck to pull with...

Welcome aboard Duane!

I have to agree with this assessment. It's not something I had really been thinking about but having also driven Class As and large trailers it is true that most trailers will bob and sway more than a Class A.

The A will also be affected by things like semi wakes but over a long day of pulling a trailer I would agree that the fatigue level will be higher for a large trailer.

I think the big factor is the weight of the trailer vs. the weight of the tow vehicle. The heavier the primary towing vehicle (i.e. Class A) the less "significant" the towed vehicle/trailer will be.

Aside from the raw power of a larger tow vehicle - i.e. 350/3500 class it is also the weight of that vehicle relative to the tow that makes towing easier.

OK, three minutes. ;)
I have done a lot of trailer towing over many years and while I have never considered hooking up to be a competition, you really should apply to Guinness for their book of records!
32' foot gas class A with a small flat towed TOAD (~45' total length)
versus
28' light (7,000 lbs loaded) travel trailer towed by a capable pickup (~46' total length)

Generally speaking, which setup is easier to drive, get around, set up, tear down and generally more convenient?
I have owned a 25' class A and was fulltime in a 36' class A, both gas. I towed various travel trailers both before the motorhomes and after, so have some feel for this. I would say that once I was used to driving then the motorhomes were easier and more convenient but they also cost most. The 36' motorhome was the largest RV we have owned and we lived fulltime in it for 12 years and owned it a total of 14 years. Our most recent RV has been a 20' travel trailer towed by a crew-cab truck. The reason for the change to a travel trailer is that it is easier to store when part time and takes less space but it is also more work to connect up and to set up for the night.
What accessory equipment makes the job easier for each setup?
A power leveling system is #1 for convenience in all RVs. There are some good systems for leveling a trailer that are not jacks. For towing you need a quality tow-bar with adjustable arms for ease of alignment. Rear cameras are a great help for either. If you have a travel companion each one with a cell phone can help in the parking process, or a pair of radios. Large, well-placed mirrors are also helpful for any RV.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom