What is worth seeing in Canada?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If one has an interest in somewhat "off the beaten path" things to see in Canada, I highly recommend whale watching in Tadoussac Quebec (about 3 hours north of Quebec City).  Apparently, it is considered one of the premier whale watching locations in North America.  We were there this summer and saw quite a few of different varieties.  Attached are two of my favorite photos from the excursion (no they weren't lifted from the Pacific Life commercials!)

Attachments

• pacific life.compressed.JPG
    pacific life.compressed.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 6
  • pacific life 2 compressed.JPG
    pacific life 2 compressed.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 6
Two of my favorite spots in Canada are St. John, New Brunswick, and Halifax, Nova Scotia, both downtown areas with excellent maritime museums.

St John is a very interesting sea town and the city where they have the reversing river.  Every time the 40' tide changes, the river changes direction.  It is full of rocks and rapids, both ways, so you could start out of a raft or kayak in downtown, ride "up river" for 6 hours and then ride back to where you started!  I had a little trouble parking my RV, but called ahead and found a nice lot about 4 blocks away.  Good restaurants and shops downtown, as well, as an excellent museum.  (http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/2015/09/92-saint-john-new-brunswick-reversing.html)

Halifax is a terrific city with a fantastic Harbour Walk in the downtown area.  It took a little navigating, but I found a huge parking lot on a Sunday right along the river.  I spent a couple of hours at the Maritime museum and then walking around the harbor area and having a lobster roll outdoors.  Halifax is where they took the dead and the survivors from the Titanic, so they also have a substantial exhibit there and a graveyard.  http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/2015/09/915-halifax-and-maritime-museum.html

And don't miss Peggy's Cove and the colorful Lunenburg on Nova Scotia!  Best NOT to visit these popular Maritime places in the fall, however, as the cruise ship disgorge thousands of passengers to those places in September!

The fall colours in Algonguin Park, and surrounding areas in Muskoka Ontario in October. Hwy 60 gets practically jammed with cars and buses wanting to see the leaves in full colours. Moose sightings are common on the highway as well. You can stay in one of the many campgrounds in the park, or stay in the neighboring towns around the park. The park has many hiking trails, canoe routes, and two interesting museums. There is also an art gallery. It can be cool in October, so be prepared for the need for warm clothes, and probably heat on in the rv. It generally isn't below freezing much until the end of October. Snow is common once November arrives. The town of Bala holds a Cranberry festival during October fall colours. They harvest the cranberries in the marshes of the local farms by flooding them, and using thrashing machines to separate the berry from the branches. The berries float to the top, and are corralled up, and collected. They have helicopter rides so you can take in the fall colours from the air. You can get some fresh from the farm cranberries in time for Thanksgiving. Muskoka is very busy during this time, as tourist come from all over the world to see the brilliant leaves. Bus tours are very common at that time of year.

Back
Top Bottom