What problems should I look for in an 8 year old trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DouglasB12

I'm going to look at an 8 year old Toy Hauler TT this weekend, that on paper, seems like it fits all of my needs.  Supposedly, this trailer has been used as a seasonal camper in a campground only (the tires have 150 miles on them).  The trailer is a 2011 Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pack 27 DFWP

Obviously, I'm going to assume the tires are shot simply due to age.  What else should I be concerned with? How long do water heaters and refers last?  Would build up in the waste tanks be a concern since there has been no "sloshing" action?  I plan on looking for soft spots/water stains/delamination, etc...  Listed below are the features advertised.  Are there any concerns specific to the options?

As always, thank you for advice!

Super Super Clean
2011 with only 150 miles
Has been on a seasonal site for 8 years
ALWAYS covered in the winter and very well taken care of!
Sleeps 6
Walk around master bed (standard size)
Electric bunk that comes down from ceiling
Couches fold down to another bed
Full bath (with tub and shower)
30 gallon on board fueling station
110 gallon fresh water tank
41 gallon gray water holding tank-sink shower
31 gallon black water holding tank-toilet
Santi flush system
Electric/gas refrigerator and freezer
DVD/radio with surround sound inside and outside
Power awning
Two skylights
AC
Vented fan in bathroom
Outdoor gas hookup for grill
Indoor and Outdoor cable jacks
TV mounting bracket outdoor/indoor
Swivel rocking chair
Rubberized flooring for easy cleaning
Metal tie downs for toys Less

The big thing to look for is any sign of water intrusion, even small water stains may be a sign of large amount of hidden rot.  This inspection should start at roof level, checking the lap sealant (caulk) around all the roof penetrations, windows, doors ,etc.    Then check inside in those same areas, and work your way down.

As to stuff that will likely be ageing out on an 8 year old  travel trailer, in addition to tires, I would add LPG, CO and smoke detectors to that list if they are original, as well as possibly the propane regulator which has a rubber diaphragm and should be replaced about every 8-10 years.

RV appliances should still all be good if they have not been abused, though of course there are no guarantees, certainly check the back side of the RV refrigerator for signs of sodium chromate leaks (greenish yellow powder) as failing RV refrigerators are afire hazard, also if installed with side top refrigerator vent there is likely a DC ventilation fan in the refrigerator chimney, if present, check to see if it is operational.

For the water heater if it is a Suburban model check the condition of the anode rod (there are youtube videos on this subject), Attwood water heaters don't have an anode rod.

There are a lot more things to check, but these are some of the more common ones.

If it sat on a seasonal site, it might have been heavily used, vs someone who only used one 5 weekends a year.  As Isaac-1 said, you still will have to replace tires, so plan on that expense, not that that is a deal-breaker, just tires older that 6-8 years must be replaced before they blow and cause all sorts of expenses, tread means nothing, it's the rubber.  There will be 4 numbers in a row, like 1811.  That would mean it was made in the 18th week of 2011.  Definitely take a ladder with you and inspect the roof.  If you are not comfortable with all this, settle on an agreement contingent on it passing an RV inspection, and hire a professional to look at it.  Might cost a couple 100, welcome to rving right.  Good luck, hope it is what you are looking for  :))

ps: I hope you have a well equipped 3/4 ton truck, that is a lot of trailer when loaded.

Delamination is something you want to look for. It can be hard to spot, and costly to fix. Water leaks in the wall and causes a separation. I suggest you look it up here
https://www.delamrepair.com/rvwalldelaminationrepairquestions.

As far as the fridge, have the seller put it on electric mode before you get there. Then when you get there and verify that it is indeed on electric mode, have them switch it over to gas. Then go outside and see if you see the flame indicating that it is running on gas. You may need to open the fridge door for a few minutes in order for it to start on gas.

How long do water heaters and refers last? 
Too many variables to make a firm prediction, but in "normal use" you can expect at least 10 years and probably more like 15-25. There are plenty of 20-30 yo appliances in use today.

Would build up in the waste tanks be a concern since there has been no "sloshing" action?
Not if the recommended tank-dumping procedures were followed, meaning the black tank was not dumped until at least half full. The whooosh action of dumping a half-to-full tank is sufficient to remove wastes that  may have settled to the bottom.

Definitely test all the appliances & systems for operation. Inspect the roof for properly sealed (caulked) seams and openings and visually check sidewalls (inside and out) for sign of water leaks and/or delamination.  If you don't know what those are, ask more questions here.

We have some excellent RV-buying checklists in the RVForum Library at  http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php/15-checklists
You probably can't get all the items in the checklists done, but the more you can do the less risk there will be.

Rene T said:
As far as the fridge, have the seller put it on electric mode before you get there. Then when you get there and verify that it is indeed on electric mode, have them switch it over to gas. Then go outside and see if you see the flame indicating that it is running on gas. You may need to open the fridge door for a few minutes in order for it to start on gas.

I would suggest doing the same with the water heater. Have them start it on electric. Confirm you have hot water. Switch off electric. Turn on gas mode. Run hot water until water heater lights (will take 1-2 minutes to run enough water to cause it to light).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom