What product to use to wax TT & decals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riverdog

I recently purchased my first fiberglass TT.  I am going to wash & wax it this weekend.  The guy at the RV store said to not use wax on the decals, rather use another product specifically for decal care.  Is this necessary ? what experience do you long time fiberglass owners have to share and what products do you recommend?

I posted this question on 3 forums - the other 2 were pretty active but, as you can see, no input from this forum.

Regarding the other forums - 9 out of 10 responses recommended 303 Aerospace Protectant.  The nice thing about this is it can be used on both fiberglass & vinyl, so you can treat the entire trailer with it.  I purchased some this past weekend and treated the entire trailer.  We will see how it holds up.....

Hmmm?  I believe the advanced age of the members of this forum might have something to do with the slow response. ;)  Either that or no one on this forum has washed and waxed their RV recently!

There are numerous prior topics on tnis this subject; A search will find them  ;)  Our forum library also has an article or two.

I use Nu Finish on my cars and RV.  Following the instructions gets me a really nice shine that always lasts 6 to 8 months in the California sun.  Many products are avaialble but this is just what I grew up using on dads cars and RVs so it is what I've always used as well. 

There is a specific equity involved I think though, the easier a product is to put on it seems like the more often it has to be applied, so it all sort of works it self out in the end.

Jeff

Some decals have a fairly rough texture and may even be a bit porous. Wax gets into the pores of the surface and builds up over time, making them cloudy and it is near-impossible to get it out again. Other decals have a hard, glossy finish and seem impervious to waxes - just like paint. I hate to sound snobby, but the higher end rigs have the better quality decals (if they have decals at all).

I use Protect-All on all my rigs and haven't had any problems discoloring decals, but your mileage may vary.

I will add my 2 cents here also.  I use NU finish and have had no troubles.  I did have trouble with all products I tried on the front of my class C over the cab.  Nothing I tried would put a shine to this area.  Heavy oxidation.  After some research I went to a marine store and got 3M Fiberglass Restorer.  Expensive buts works great.  I am very happy with this product doing what it says.  If you have a fiberglass rv with heavy oxidation use 3M Fiberglass Restorer found at marine stores.

Riverdog said:
I posted this question on 3 forums - the other 2 were pretty active but, as you can see, no input from this forum.

Regarding the other forums - 9 out of 10 responses recommended 303 Aerospace Protectant.  The nice thing about this is it can be used on both fiberglass & vinyl, so you can treat the entire trailer with it.  I purchased some this past weekend and treated the entire trailer.  We will see how it holds up.....

Riverdog,

Did you use the 303? How did you like it? Any problems? As a first time MH owner I'm wondering what to use. I apply NuFinish to my auto's but they aren't fiberglass.

Yes - I did use the 303.  Time will tell how good it is, but so far I really do like it.  I applied it before I took an 1800 mile trip with the trailer & post-trip it still looks great.  Additionally, I used it on my truck (dash, tires, plastic part of bumpers, etc) - this was over a month ago and the dash/interior & still look like I just applied it.  Plus the dash seems to repel dust as I do not have as much accumulation as before.

Riverdog said:
Yes - I did use the 303.  Time will tell how good it is, but so far I really do like it.  I applied it before I took an 1800 mile trip with the trailer & post-trip it still looks great.  Additionally, I used it on my truck (dash, tires, plastic part of bumpers, etc) - this was over a month ago and the dash/interior & still look like I just applied it.  Plus the dash seems to repel dust as I do not have as much accumulation as before.

Sounds good.  If all works out let me know so I can go and get some and try it out. 

I use Turtle Wax Ice.  Not because it's the best wax, but for the ease of application.  It does not leave a white residue on black plastic or vinyl.  It even makes the black plastic shiny similar to other black restore products.  So even the black window frame gets a coat of wax.  On the truck, I wax everything except the windows, antenna, tires and the hitch.

I just got a new product in the mail to demo for a company. I'm going to try it out on the RV next but here is the product.
http://clearkote.com/

http://clearkote.com/index.php/liquids/quick-shine

http://clearkote.com/index.php/waxes/carnauba-moose-wax

Collinite 845, I use it on the plane, RV and both vehicles.  Easy on and off, provides good protection.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Collinite-Liquid-Insulator-Wax-No-845_p_264.html

303 is good stuff albeit pricey and it should be applied often to work properly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom