What size nuts hold down the rotor on a 454

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey tom......you might remember me saying that i had plug wires melted to the plugs when i changed mine, so if you are going to do the plugs first, i would also have a set of wires handy just in case.......it might save another trip to the parts house.....

I bought the cap, rotor, plugs and wires all today. None of them are melted, I have already done a visual.

Problem finally solved!

It was the spark plug wires.

I was going to replace just the plugs this morning but the old sparkplug wires wouldn't come off in one piece so I decided to do both plugs and wires. The only problem I had was I couldn't get most of the sparkplugs out of their hole. I only replaced 3 of the plugs, so I am using 3 new ones and 5 old ones. The 3 old plugs I removed were gapped properly and the residue on the tips was a beautiful golden brown, just like they should be. I decided to stop trying to remove the old plugs for fear of breaking one trying to remove it. That would really open up a barrel of worms I don't want to get into.

I want to thank all the people on this forum who offered me suggestions.

Good for you Tom. The wires usually don't melt or burn, just break down and the high resistance causes all kind of problems.
  Don't be afraid to break a sparkplug, worse case you'll break off the porcelin but the rest of the plug can still be removed.
  You're probably sick of 454s for awhile now.

I am afraid of breaking off a spark plug because of how hard some of them are to get to. I will just pay someone to replace them later on.

The sparkplugs are good for 50,000 miles so you still have plenty of miles left. On my Chevy Tahoe I have 126.00 miles on my original plugs. Pulled them at 100,000 miles and they were still good ant the gap was right on.
J

Back
Top Bottom