What Spare Parts do you Carry ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raybbj

There was a recent thread on what tools do you carry. How about spare parts?

• Spare Tires
    Engine Oil
    Coolant
    Fuses for both TV and 5er
    Wiper blades
    Spare tubes for bike tires
    Spare Lube plate for hitch pin

What else y'all ???

raybbj said:

• Spare Tires
    Engine Oil
    Coolant
    Wiper blades

What else y'all ???

Out of all the one's you quoted, I would only MAYBE carry a quart  of oil. Everything else you can get very easy at most Walmart's and Napa stores. They're all over

raybbj said:

• Spare Tires
    Engine Oil
    Coolant
    Wiper blades

What else y'all ???

If you put the vehicle you have in your signature we wouldn't have to ask you - What RV do you have?

Do you have a generator?
I didn't see a Fuel Filter on your list.
How about a tire gauge?

Oil and coolant. Based on what you posted. Not knowing what are driving/pulling, my answer is the same.
If you are specifically asking about tools, there are tool kit's available. Check your local hardware stores. The big box stores carry the same. I survived with a hardware store tool kit for many years.

RedandSilver said:
If you put the vehicle you have in your signature we wouldn't have to ask you - What RV do you have?

Do you have a generator?
I didn't see a Fuel Filter on your list.
How about a tire gauge?

BUSTED !!!
I don't have an RV ...... yet ...... still doing my research. I'm eyeballing F350, 6.2L,  SRW, CC with a Grand Design 303RLS 5th. No Geny.
Part of the idea of this thread was to get ideas for myself for required spare parts I should carry.

My collection of "parts" seems to constantly be growing.  There's the obvious tote with fluids (motor oil, trans fluid, distilled water, etc.) as well as the "consumable items" such as filter cartridges for the house water filter, the fridge water filter, the faucet filter/aerators, fuses, etc.    Then there's my growing collection of "little stuff" that I've accumulated in course of repair and upgrade projects (spare LED light bulbs, a spare serpentine belts,  spare cabinet latches ... my collection of nuts, bolts, screws, washers, hooks, electrical connectors, etc.) 

In many cases - I've got the spare item because I had one item break - and then bought an extra one for "inventory" when I went to replace it.  In terms of "bigger" stuff - I carry an unmounted spare tire (having discovered that while Coachnet can usually get a mobile tire service dispatch underway very quickly - it's very possible to be stuck (for a couple of days!) because a replacement 295/80R22.5 tire isn't readily available).  Last year - my hydraulic pump motor failed - necessitating a replacement by a mobile RV repair service.  I had the original pump motor rebuilt and now carry that with us.  The little stuff "lives" in a small plastic tote that's tucked into a basement compartment.  Aside from the spare tire - my collection of spares doesn't add up to an extra 75 lbs of stuff.  These days, I'm finding that I'm able to make a repair using stuff from my "inventory" - eliminating the time and trouble of having to make a trip to a local RV dealership or hardware store. 

spacenorman said:
My collection of "parts" seems to constantly be growing.  There's the obvious tote with fluids (motor oil, trans fluid, distilled water, etc.) as well as the "consumable items" such as filter cartridges for the house water filter, the fridge water filter, the faucet filter/aerators, fuses, etc.    Then there's my growing collection of "little stuff" that I've accumulated in course of repair and upgrade projects (spare LED light bulbs, a spare serpentine belts,  spare cabinet latches ... my collection of nuts, bolts, screws, washers, hooks, electrical connectors, hose clamps, etc.) 

In many cases - I've got the spare item because I had one item break - and then bought an extra one for "inventory" when I went to replace it.  In terms of "bigger" stuff - I carry an unmounted spare tire (having discovered that while Coachnet can usually get a mobile tire service dispatch underway very quickly - it's very possible to be stuck (for a couple of days!) because a replacement 295/80R22.5 tire isn't readily available).  Last year - my hydraulic pump motor failed - necessitating a replacement by a mobile RV repair service.  I had the original pump motor rebuilt and now carry that with us.  The little stuff "lives" in a small plastic tote that's tucked into a basement compartment.  Aside from the spare tire - my collection of spares doesn't add up to an extra 75 lbs of stuff.  These days, I'm finding that I'm able to make a repair using stuff from my "inventory" - eliminating the time and trouble of having to make a trip to a local RV dealership or hardware store.

I suspect the level of spare parts will depend on ones capacity to make such repairs.  In my case, my paranoia extends beyond most, as I have the capacity to repair most any thing that fails on my coach.
I carry an assortment of electrical items. IE fuses, relays, switches, monoplex water pump controller, water pump, circuit boards for water heater and refrigerator , etc. Many of these items are used and have been acquired from salvage over a period of time.
Then there is the spare tire and air compressor. The list goes on and on.
Just 3 days ago my water pump failed and the spare was installed.

Richard

One spare part I bring along is for me, not my coach.  It's my glasses.  If I loose a set and don't have a replacement, I can't see what I'm doing, let alone repair it.

I do not have an RV  yet  either, but I have a sig line.

I would carry the absolute minimum.  As Rene said, anything you need is available locally.  You do not need to spend cash on "just in case" and do not spend precious payload on "maybe".

The same is true for many items you MAY want for the camper.  Wait until you need it to buy it.  Most general merchandise is the same price wherever you are.

EDIT  I second Randy's comment on glasses!

Just the usual stuff for me.

Duct tape, screw drivers, extra transmission, couple of pistons, crankshaft, driveshaft, alternator, two water pumps, belts and hoses, head gaskets, air compressor (with a set of Kobalt pneumatic tools), chainsaw, winch, logging chains, tire chains, 32 horsepower diesel tractor (Kubota), hydraulic oil for tractor, fire suppressant system, hazmat suit, flux capacitor, differential, welding equipment (TIG welder), small metal working shop, extra fiberglass roof, pair of extra struts and springs, spare dolly, DiCor lap sealant, extra heating system and military grade water filtration system, and antibiotics.

My wife follows in an extra vehicle in case their is a problem with the toad and RV we can't fix.

We find a local tire garage if we get a flat.  I hate changing those things.

In travel trailer. 
Assorted screw kit, assorted nail kit, fuse kit house clamp kit, small squeeze tybe silicone, wire nuts kit.
Electronic tape, duct tape, Teflon tape, light bulb 12 volt and 120 volt. Assorted extra parts from prior repairs. Mainly stuff that came in multi packs

I have accidentally accumulated spare parts and loads of supplies in the past 7+ years of 24/7 in this little old rig.

Mostly leftovers, like leftover brake fluid, leftover oil and so on. I have extra lights. When I had to buy a turn signal light, I bought 2, ditto for brake light. I have spare interior lights and spare fuses.

Once a year I assemble all the stuff needed to give the generator a good maintenance, then I typically pay someone else to do it.

I have the usual duck tape, wire ties, gear ties, WD-40, Silicone spray, screws, Marine-Tex, JB Underwater weld, 5200 calking,  2 part epoxy, super glue, outdoor double stick tape, assorted bug sprays. Not exactly spare parts but when you need it, you need it badly. A heavy duty wire tie (or several together) can fill in for a hose clamp until you can get one.

I accidentally have a spare starter! I wish I could sell that.

If I got rid of all my tools and repair supplies, I could have a nice expansive wardrobe. LOL!

I have a box full of bicycle stuff, but mostly because I do reviews of new products, so they are always sending me stuff to test.

I used to have a fix-a-flat for a big truck tire and I used that one day when I woke up to a flat tire in the campground. Filled the flat, then drove to a tire store. I should replace that, it sure was handy. I have fix-a-flat for the bicycle tire.

I used to have gallons of transmission fluid, but thankfully got that problem solved. Turned out I needed a bigger torque converter and that solved the transmission throwing up when it got warm.

If I were you, I wouldn't buy any spare parts. I would wait and buy as needed. I have Amazon prime, so they deliver in 1-2 days to my campsite. Their rates are highly competitive.

My problem is I buy extra. I need one light, so I buy two. I need three screws and buy five. I need super glue, so I buy 4. I think it's because I used to live on boats in far flung ports and one gets used to making do with nothing, and carrying around useful supplies.

Last time my transmission threw up, I was able to coast into a camp with campers pushing me the final 100 yards in the middle of nowhere. I kid you not! It was hotter than hell and I was pooped out. We ordered more transmission fluid and paid for a week's stay. Finally drove out of there with the new fluid and found an awesome transmission shop that diagnosed the problem. Had to wait another two weeks for an appointment, but he did it all in one day. No problems since then.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom