what states allow double towing??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carl L said:
Unfortunately, the California Vehicle Code disagrees with them.

In 2006 I was going to double hitch our boat out to Oregon and I checked with California and if you have a California license ( non CDL ) with the right endorsement you can pull doubles with a 5ver and I could also get a special permit in Oregon. I couldn't get a answer from California on a out of state license, it was going to be more trouble than it was worth so I didn't do it.

Denny 

DonTom said:
In the CA "triple tow", it says  "yes (41)".

Where can we find what the "41" means?

-Don-

Go down to the bottom of the sheet on the left side and click on footnotes.

Denny

Ernie n Tara said:
You might consider the platform type of carrier, often with a swiveling single wheel, that mount rigidly to the vehicle in front of them. These then become part of that vehicle since they turn as a part of it rather than as a trailer. Should easily handle a light boat. I've even seen them used for a full size motor cycle.
Ernie

Nope, In CA if the platform has a wheel that touches the ground, it is considered a trailer and must not only be registered as such, but be counted as a trailer as well. 

rvpuller said:
In 2006 I was going to double hitch our boat out to Oregon and I checked with California and if you have a California license ( non CDL ) with the right endorsement you can pull doubles with a 5ver and I could also get a special permit in Oregon. I couldn't get a answer from California on a out of state license, it was going to be more trouble than it was worth so I didn't do it.

Here is a quote from the California Commercial Drivers License Handbook as shown on the DMV website:

"Commercial Driver License Handbook Section 7

This section has information you will need to pass the CDL knowledge test for driving safely with double/triple trailers. You should also study Sections 2, 5, and 6.
NOTE: Triple combinations are not legal in California. Triples are discussed in this section because they are legal in many other states.
The endorsement for doubles is given by written test only. Do not bring in a set of doubles for the driving test. Drivers must demonstrate the ability to back up the combination during the skills test, and backing doubles is dangerous.
A Doubles/Triples Endorsement is Needed. 
[My emphasis]

The California Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Handbook says on the subject of multiple trailer towing:

License classes are based on the size of vehicle you wish to drive or the weight of the trailer you wish to tow. No passenger vehicle, pickup truck, or RV may tow more than one other vehicle without a Commercial Class A license, with endorsement.  [My emphasis]

These are all direct quotes from the current CA DMV license handbooks as shown on the Department's website as of the date of this message.  I do not know how much more definitive I can get. 

The written publications of any government department are more authoritative than the spoken opinion of a harried clerk in a phone call.  A person relying  on oral opinions of anonymous clerks does so at their hazard.  I speak as a guy who has run governmental information operations himself.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom