What the best breed of dog.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kwbush said:
They can be expensive (my expensive is in the $750-900.00 range)
We are looking in the Lancaster, Pa area. There are a number of breeders there that sell below what I consider expensive.
Good luck locating your next co-pilot!

Keith

I could probably live with $750 Keith.  Can you PM me with a couple of breeders in that area. It may be a possibility of a stop we could stop at on our way home in the spring.

I'll put in another vote for Papillion. With judicial use of a muzzle to discourage barking/whining they are great companions.  They do require attention as they are people dogs, but you'll have a permanent puppy (Toby is eight and still seduces every visitor into throwing his chop).

Ernie

Hi Rene,

Forum says your in box was full so I went public,

I don't know what happened to my original attempt to PM you... I clicked on your name in the "To:" box and my message disappeared... Oh well here goes the second attempt.

https://www.lancasterpuppies.com/puppy-search/breed/havanese

As you can see there are some pups priced over what I quoted but there are numerous one's under $750.00
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the lower cost pups, usually an older dog (puppy) or fewer champions in its bloodline, but I doubt your looking for a show dog, more of a co-pilot huh?

Good luck with the search!  ;)

Keith

kwbush said:
https://www.lancasterpuppies.com/puppy-search/breed/havanese
As you can see there are some pups priced over what I quoted but there are numerous one's under $750.00
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the lower cost pups, usually an older dog (puppy) or fewer champions in its bloodline, but I doubt your looking for a show dog, more of a co-pilot huh?

Thanks Keith. I went in and deleted all my messages. I didn't realize that when someone sends me a PM, I thought it was just a regular E-Mail which it is but it also puts that same message in a message box in this forum. That's why it said my IN box was full. I had 41 messages which put me at 102% capacity.

I'm still up in the air about getting another pet. DW feels differently. She's a huge animal lover. It's been so nice to be able and just go anywhere as we please and not have to worry about a pet.

Rene T said:
I'm still up in the air about getting another pet. DW feels differently. She's a huge animal lover. It's been so nice to be able and just go anywhere as we please and not have to worry about a pet.

Deb and are in somewhat the same situation. This past summer, Deb tripped over Layla, the miniature poodle she had. It scared us both pretty bad due to the spine issues Deb has. She ended up giving Layla to her cousin, who has fell right in love with her. We now don't have a pet. I don't mind having a pet, but I'm not sure if I want one right now. We've got a lot going on in our lives right now. Deb stays home by herself all day while I work, and would like a pet for company, which I completely understand. I also know she has some reservations of getting another pet, but she would get over that pretty quick if she got one. It would have to be a small dog. I have been doing some snooping, and figured out she would like to a Boston Terrier. If I find a Boston that needs rescuing, and if it seems to be a good for for us and us a good fit for it, I'd most likely get it for her though. Follow your heart.

Most ideas have already been said, but I do have something to add. The "breed" IMHO is only good for size and physical characteristics. The temperament of a specific dog is really far more important.. once again IMHO.

Along those lines, we sailed with 2 great danes on our boat for years. They were wonderful dogs.. and great boat dogs (other than the male getting seasick from time to time - he had no problem bashing into waves or running with them, but the rollies on the beam really got to him). You wouldn't think small horses would be good boat dogs, but they loved boating and we loved them.

Airedale Terrier hands down! You've had a Schnauzer, so familiar with Terriers.  Welcome to the King of Terriers.  We've traveled with our ADT Portia since she was 8 weeks old.  She loves to camp as much as we do and people flock around her wherever we go.  The attached pic is our Portia at Blue Water RV Park in the Florida Keyes.  Once you have experienced life with an Airedale you are a fan for life.

Rene T said:
I SAID SMALL. We did have a mutt one time that had some AS in it's blood. He was a very good dog.

Sheesh... You did mention you wanted a small dog... I guess people are pulling your leg, huh?  :mad:

OBTW... how about a St. Bernard or maybe a Great Dane?  ::) Naw, they're too small, how about a Shetland pony?  :-\
Oh, this post is outa control. Sorry Rene...  :-[  ROTFLOL!
Keith

SeilerBird said:
The very best small dog, hands down, is a Maltese.

When my youngest was still married to his now ex-wife, they had three of them. I can't hardly stand them. They take a lot of time and effort to keep groomed correctly, and it seems like one can't break them of the habit of licking one's hands and face. I really don't want an animal  to start licking on me after it has been licking it's butt and other things. And don't give me that crap about a dogs mouth is cleaner than a humans. That's just an old wive's tale for people justifying why they let their dog lick them. And every Maltese I've seen is a yapper.

nibroc said:
Australian shepherd..... :)

Just wondered how you are doing...

I also had an Australian Shepard/German Shepard mix. 50/50%. Best dog I ever had. Smart as a whip. Only defect was fear of fireworks (loud explosions).
MY fault for that defect. I didn't think of the training for that after my wife purchased the puppy of 6 weeks old from a pet food store.
Rescued.

That puppy spent 12 years with us. Bone cancer got the best of him. I still shed a tear. He was my "puppy".

My point...
Was he a small, lap type dog? Probably not. Not by most people's way of thinking.
However, he was the 2nd most behaved pet we ever had, Number one goes to a Great Dane/Doberman mix that my DW had when we got together.
Go figure.

As I mentioned before...
You never know.

Well we did it. Picked up the newest addition to our family. We ended up with a 9 week old Chihuahua. So far he's been great. We spread out 5 or 6 pee pads and he's been going on one of them all day long. No accidents at all knock on wood. Not sure what it's going to be like tonight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom